Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Martyn Sadler

Date change for England's match against New Zealand in Liverpool

Is it the RFL or the RLIF we should be berating? Or are both equally responsible? And the change hasn't been made on the RLIF site

http://www.rlif.com/match_preview/RLIF8072500

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

29 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit but it's just another reason why I'm fast approaching giving up on RL.

After the 4 Nations shambles you would think they would be keen to make sure internationals would be well organised, but no.

You'd think after the shambles of appointing Rimmer, a man instrumental in the cesspool we have now, that he'd want to come out looking strong, but no.

Structure changes? yeah, just do 'em couple of weeks before the end of the season.

Should we promote one of our showpiece events at Wembley? Nah, just blame it on the french team getting there, it'll be reight.

We now have a test series at home against NZ (who we've already played this season and had the same test series 3 years ago) which will have the final game severely impacted, on top of it being pretty poorly organised and promoted anyway.

Feel for anyone who have had travel impacted. How can we attract new fans to the sport with this kind of approach, our sport is run by clowns, utter clowns. There needs to be some kind of revolution because these men are frauds and ruining the sport.

And that is just for starters Tex, some kind of revolution you say, these guys are answerable to no one, there is no one to oust them even if there was a vote of no confidence from all the games supporters, who actually gave Rimmer the post anyway? 

As its hard to believe such a mistake,  has the Everton game been suddenly moved for TV or something and hence the need for change.

Otherwise it beggars believe. 

Surely this rules out using Liverpool in future if they can't stage two events on the same day, or guarantee that there won't be a clash?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fatbob said:

8 weeks before an international, that has had 2 kick off times already, people have booked flights, train tickets, hotels at great expense and then the incompetent muppets at the RFL change the day of the game and give an excuse that was checkable at the time of booking Anfield. And you call it faux outrage? We had over 50 lads going to this game as part of a stag do. We're going to have the stag do as arranged on the Saturday and watch the game on tv back home the following day. I'm fuming. 

I’m sorry. It is faux outrage. People shout loudest when it directly has an effect on them. We see this sort of thing in Super League all the time, often with a lot less than six weeks notice, it’s not something new. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's an international, the pinnacle of the sport at a showcase stadium. People will have planned this months in advance, like folk do for events. (Hence why I know exactly the details of the Cricket World Cup match I'm going to next year. - 10 months in advance).

Yeah but that’s what happens, things change. I’ve known games in Super League be rescheduled a lot closer to the event than this. It’s a shame it’s happened but some things can be out of the control of people sometimes (this may or may not be one of those times). Either way, eight weeks is a reasonable time for people to move their plans in comparison to some timescales I’ve seen in Super League. Are the final couple of rounds of the Middle 8’s even decided?

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

And how many groups from Germany do you think book hotels in Wakefield or Salford for the average Super League game?

That’s not a valid argument. Why should this group be held on some high ground above blokes from Wigan or Batley? Would people have been bothered when a Wigan v Saints game my cousin wanted to attend was changed at three weeks notice, meaning he missed his opportunity to see his team on his first visit back to the UK for five years? Probably not. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think this is more of a problem as its the biggest of the 3 games (by capacity). Its arguably the premier venue which will attract more people beyond the usual suspects for England game because of both Liverpool FC and the City itself. Although as another thread highlights only the lowest tiers are currently on sale so it may not have as big an impact on the crowd as yet. It is a great shame though, as the only Saturday game it would have been good to go there then go out in the evening as opposed to the two other Sunday games.

I wonder if the RFL have any kind of insurance they could claim against for this? Did the grounds bid for these tests like the WC?

4 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Everton are at home on the Saturday and there are traffic management issues.

Thanks Martyn. What’s your publication seeking to do with this story? Are you or any other league writers/publications able to articulate to the RFL the disruption, stress, financial implications etc this has to fans? We have no real outlet of significance (as they just ignore social media comments) to hold these people running the sport to account. They are a shambolic... and you’ll see from this thread they are driving people away from the sport. With the RLWC21 around the corner, they need to retain and grow support as much as possible to make that tournament a success.

• Like 1

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/kingslynnblackknights/

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Make a fuss on Twitter and Facebook.

Hang on, I expected you to say this would have zero impact on the crowd.

Utterly dismal, and it has killed off my hopes of attending this, but where has the decision come from? The Everton match must have been scheduled after this, so how come the rugby has to move?

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I have spent my entire professional career trying to eradicate any sight of 'blame culture' as it is unproductive and breeds resentment.

But surely something like this needs to be addressed at it has impacted many people who have already made plans and spent money.

Based on the statement from the RFL where they say they have "worked with all parties and the decision to change the date was taken after no other viable solution could be found" I would say that they were desperate to keep the original date and were told it was not viable.

So, there are traffic management issues and a clash with an Everton home game.  This would imply that either Merseyside Police or the council were the one's who were being intransigent no doubt citing safety issues.

One key question is whose responsibility is it to liaise with these authorities in the first place to agree that an event could take place at Anfield.  Was it the RFL as the hiring party or Liverpool FC as the host.  I would have thought clarity on this responsibility would have been the first thing discussed when spending tens of thousands of pounds on a venue hire for a given date.

All in all, I think this is a harsh decision.  This is a Saturday and surely Liverpool caters for more inflow of human traffic into the centre on any given weekday.  As for the safety - can Rugby League and football fans not be present in the same city on the same day and remain peaceful?

• Like 2

logistical management of festivities held at breweries springs to mind.

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Hang on, I expected you to say this would have zero impact on the crowd.

Utterly dismal, and it has killed off my hopes of attending this, but where has the decision come from? The Everton match must have been scheduled after this, so how the rugby has to move?

Yes, it’s a curious one. Surely the Merseyside police were aware that the England game had already been scheduled for the 3rd. The football fixtures were released in mid June. Why has it taken ten weeks for it to come to light? 

rldfsignature.jpg

In all seriousness is there anything us fans can do to oust the current people in charge at the RFL? They are doing their upmost to destroy the game through their sheer incompetence and are doing a better job than RU ever did.

• Like 2

Everton are not down as either of the TV games on Sat. 3rd

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I am surprised that the BBC is content with such a late change to its schedules.  Have they had any role in this decision, does anybody know?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am surprised that the BBC is content with such a late change to its schedules.  Have they had any role in this decision, does anybody know?

They possibly don't know yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit but it's just another reason why I'm fast approaching giving up on RL.

After the 4 Nations shambles you would think they would be keen to make sure internationals would be well organised, but no.

You'd think after the shambles of appointing Rimmer, a man instrumental in the cesspool we have now, that he'd want to come out looking strong, but no.

Structure changes? yeah, just do 'em couple of weeks before the end of the season.

Should we promote one of our showpiece events at Wembley? Nah, just blame it on the french team getting there, it'll be reight.

We now have a test series at home against NZ (who we've already played this season and had the same test series 3 years ago) which will have the final game severely impacted, on top of it being pretty poorly organised and promoted anyway.

Feel for anyone who have had travel impacted. How can we attract new fans to the sport with this kind of approach, our sport is run by clowns, utter clowns. There needs to be some kind of revolution because these men are frauds and ruining the sport.

Never give up on our game Brother hang in there

Firstly...I'm sure the date was changed at the request of the police and or Liverpool council...

Secondly...you all whinge dates and venues aren't announced "years"  ago..this series was announced a year ago and dates & times have swapped around several times...that never happens when we bided our time and worked around the football fixtures when they get released in June....yeah we can announce the venues early but hold fire on confirming dates & times..

We've known for several months that nz will play oz at MT smart this October....the tickets went on sale yesterday...

And thirdly....I can go to the anfield test now :)

• Like 2

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Exactly. We don’t actually have any details of why this has been moved and who’s request this was. Until we know this, if we ever do, it’s just people jumping on to The RFL to beat them and it’s wrong to do so at this stage, whilst we don’t know the full story. 

But people need someone to blame. That’s the culture of this country and certainly this sport. People have opted for the easy target. 

Eight weeks is not ideal timing for some fans, though it’s better than some past incidents we’ve had with games in Super League being rescheduled, often by Sky, at the drop of a hat. Take Round 6 of this year’s Eights. It’s due to start on Thursday 20th September. That’s just over three weeks away. What game is on TV that night? Nobody knows at this stage. Some Super League fans will have a matter of days to make travel arrangements for one of their league games. Why this is seen as less of an issue than a game that’s been rearranged at eight weeks notice (and without knowing the reasoning why), I’m not sure. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Firstly...I'm sure the date was changed at the request of the police and or Liverpool council...

Secondly...you all whinge dates and venues aren't announced "years"  ago..this series was announced a year ago and dates & times have swapped around several times...that never happens when we bided our time and worked around the football fixtures when they get released in June....yeah we can announce the venues early but hold fire on confirming dates & times..

We've known for several months that nz will play oz at MT smart this October....the tickets went on sale yesterday...

And thirdly....I can go to the anfield test now :)

Going by that logic it's amazing how the Grand Final gets booked and organised before June. 

• Like 2