Batley Bulldogs

RogerT

A lot of teams are only signing them on 1 year deals, probably due to the RFL/SL messing about with the central funding so budgets are up in the air.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

I think that’s due to no club knowing what funding is available , so not wanting to commit to anything

Yep.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

A fine player but probably his financial expectations will be higher than Batley's budget will stretch to. Matt seemed happy with the squad that he has put together, think he said 22 players + 6 trialists memory not the best but two from Rochdale Mayfield, two from Moor, Sowerby and one from Hull area.

But I am certain if a player comes available at the right price, that can improve the squad Batley will do there best to find the money.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

2 hours ago, phildog said:

We've taken injured players before, if he comes and we DO a DR with Giants he'll get care, get fit and race away. Pay and play to start with, let him show himself.

If we signed Walton, where would you play him Phil?

He was reputedly on £30k a season at Fev, therefore even if we got him relatively cheaply (50% of what he was on), he would still need to be a regular starter for that kind of money.

We have Galbraith, Wood, Smeaton, Walker and quite possibly Cowling for the centres. He would be 3rd or 4th choice in the centres.

We have Downs, Manning, Tomlinson and Bretherton for a 2nd row spot. Walton is not in the same league as Manning, and if Downs is half as good as what I have heard, he would not get in, in front of him either. I'm also a huge fan of Tomlinson. He can play anywhere, he improves with every game and came on leaps and bounds, once he was finally given a chance in his chosen position in the 2nd row. He would definitely be in my 17 every week for his attitude, ability and versatility.

Assuming we had £15k+ to spend, I would rather we signed a good hooker, as that looks to be the only position where we look to lack a bit of depth.

2 hours ago, phildog said:

We've taken injured players before, if he comes and we DO a DR with Giants he'll get care, get fit and race away. Pay and play to start with, let him show himself.

i thought bulls had beat us to the DR with giants.someone mentioned it couple a weeks ago.i really hope we dont even bother with the DR and have a season as BATLEY BULLDOGS.we look to have an almost brilliant squad for 2019 to me.  up the doggies.

11 hours ago, silverback said:

i thought bulls had beat us to the DR with giants.someone mentioned it couple a weeks ago.i really hope we dont even bother with the DR and have a season as BATLEY BULLDOGS.we look to have an almost brilliant squad for 2019 to me.  up the doggies.

I think clubs can partner with more than one team , as Giants are already partnered with Workington

IMG_0583.JPG

On 11/22/2018 at 10:15 AM, Batley Bob said:

I think clubs can partner with more than one team , as Giants are already partnered with Workington

I thought that they could only partner with one other team in any division.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:35 PM, Batley Bob said:

"Bigger boned"! I always thought that meant fat.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

"Bigger boned"! I always thought that meant fat.

Not to those of us who have genuinely bigger bones especially the the stomach regions

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Archived