Sign in to follow this  
Harry Stottle

Proper Sport Rugby League

Has it finished? Couldn't find it last week as a podcast thought they may not be broadcastig due to being a bank holiday, but after going to various 'podcast' providers still cannot find it, it used to be I could pick it up quite easily from about 20:30 on Monday evenings, it is now Tuesday morning and no new episodes listed after the 20/8th anywhere!

Hope so. Well, I say that but in reality I mean that I hope Garry Schofield is finished and the show carries on as the more shows of this kind out there, the better. They and any other show, podcast or news production should fire off Schofield and his antiquated and arrogant opinions. 

I’d like to see some former players from more recent years involved in these sort of things as their opinion is more relevant and time specific. The Eorl Crabtree’s, Jin Wilkin’s and the like of this time need to be groomed into positions. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Has it finished? Couldn't find it last week as a podcast thought they may not be broadcastig due to being a bank holiday, but after going to various 'podcast' providers still cannot find it, it used to be I could pick it up quite easily from about 20:30 on Monday evenings, it is now Tuesday morning and no new episodes listed after the 20/8th anywhere!

It’s now changed to Forty20 Live, if you search that on your podcast provider you’ll find it.

Sounds like there has been some disagreement between them and Proper Sprort but can’t find any reason for the change - still the same show tho.

45 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Hope so. Well, I say that but in reality I mean that I hope Garry Schofield is finished and the show carries on as the more shows of this kind out there, the better. They and any other show, podcast or news production should fire off Schofield and his antiquated and arrogant opinions. 

I’d like to see some former players from more recent years involved in these sort of things as their opinion is more relevant and time specific. The Eorl Crabtree’s, Jin Wilkin’s and the like of this time need to be groomed into positions. 

Could not agree with you less Oliver, you like the easy life don't you, banish those with a different view and opinion than yours, have everybody congratulating and backslapping each other with fabricated laughter whilst in harmonious agreement.

I like Schoey, one of the best player's I have had the pleasure to watch, and I like to hear his comments, he brings life to this particular show, which was for me totally missing in the couple of weeks he was absent recently.

The only thing that he should do different is stop taking the Shi-ite from his fellow panelists, what are the credentials they have amassed in the game along side the guy with the record number of international caps?

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

It’s now changed to Forty20 Live, if you search that on your podcast provider you’ll find it.

Sounds like there has been some disagreement between them and Proper Sprort but can’t find any reason for the change - still the same show tho.

Thanks double O👍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

People love the Forty20 LIVE show (formerly Proper Sport RL and before that Rugby League on Radio Yorkshire!) and I reckon a big part of that is down to Schofield.

He provides the humour (either with him or, usually, at him). When he was away and Rod Studd was on in his place the other week, it was dull.

• Like 2

Could not agree with you less Oliver, you like the easy life don't you, banish those with a different view and opinion than yours, have everybody congratulating and backslapping each other with fabricated laughter whilst in harmonious agreement.

I like Schoey, one of the best player's I have had the pleasure to watch, and I like to hear his comments, he brings life to this particular show, which was for me totally missing in the couple of weeks he was absent recently.

The only thing that he should do different is stop taking the Shi-ite from his fellow panelists, what are the credentials they have amassed in the game along side the guy with the record number of international caps?

I don't mind having a player or person of the same views as Schofield on. In fact when he talks about Leeds Rhinos he often talks a lot of sense (we both agree Sutcliffe isn't a 6 to save his life for example). However, most times he comes across as like talking to that bloke in the pub who's never wrong.

On Backchat last week summed it up for me, refused to pronounce Tony Gigot's name right despite everyone else doing it and correcting him on multiple occasions. I know that may sound minor but it epitomises the stubborn obnoxiuosness of the man - he doesn't do that much listening and just waits to give his own opinion. Maybe he earned that right through on field exploits, but does that mean he should be on as many shows as he is? Often thought Dave Woods was going to snap when he's been chairing lol.

• Like 1

Not at all, I just look at it with a wider perspective. 

His views and predictions are often so laughably wrong (London to finish tenth the best example of this) that it’s embarrassing and for a former great, which is undeniable, that’s quite a poor image to be portraying of the game and himself (though he’s not bothered about that). He often interrupts people and raises his voice when people don’t like his opinion, which is an awful listen as a podcast IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't mind having a player or person of the same views as Schofield on. In fact when he talks about Leeds Rhinos he often talks a lot of sense (we both agree Sutcliffe isn't a 6 to save his life for example). However, most times he comes across as like talking to that bloke in the pub who's never wrong.

On Backchat last week summed it up for me, refused to pronounce Tony Gigot's name right despite everyone else doing it and correcting him on multiple occasions. I know that may sound minor but it epitomises the stubborn obnoxiuosness of the man - he doesn't do that much listening and just waits to give his own opinion. Maybe he earned that right through on field exploits, but does that mean he should be on as many shows as he is? Often thought Dave Woods was going to snap when he's been chairing lol.

Question, whay does he get so many gigs, is it that there is no one to replace him, or could it be that he brings a variation to the monotoned like thinking members of the panels of contributors he accompanies.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Question, whay does he get so many gigs, is it that there is no one to replace him, or could it be that he brings a variation to the monotoned like thinking members of the panels of contributors he accompanies.

I agree he brings an often different point of view and obviously thats great, we need a variety of opinion on our game as there is nothing worse than dull agreement. My point is that he comes across as never wrong. His basic reason for why something is right seems to be because he said it. I think there's better ways of debating.

Proper Sport is still going strong.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Proper Sport is still going strong Harry. 

See you on Thursday at 7:00pm. 

33 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Do you know why the show moved to forty20? Any fall outs?

If you are interested in NRL, then Full Credit To The Boys and This Week In League are both a great listen (if you can handle a little foul language).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

People love the Forty20 LIVE show (formerly Proper Sport RL and before that Rugby League on Radio Yorkshire!) and I reckon a big part of that is down to Schofield.

He provides the humour (either with him or, usually, at him). When he was away and Rod Studd was on in his place the other week, it was dull.

I think he is a lot more informed about the game than he was.

He does make a lot of valid points.

But he does love a good rant.

5 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I think he is a lot more informed about the game than he was.

He does make a lot of valid points.

But he does love a good rant.

Schoey is an odd combination of good-humoured figure of fun and pub bore Hall of Famer. But he is amiable and calls it how it is.

The beauty of that show is the group dynamic and chemistry between the four. Take one out and it’s not the same. It’s a lovely show. A northern gem.

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don’t like Schofield on Back Chat but I don’t mind him on Forty 20. I think there’s great chemistry and banter between the 4 of them that you could only get from working and meeting together regularly 

• Like 1

"The Legend" is a caricature in a similar vein to "Stevo" on sky. He's there to make bold/controversial/ridiculous statements to promote debate. Michael Stephenson is very knowledgeable and a loyal supporter of all things RL and quite different to "Stevo".

Perhaps the real Garry Schofield is not so different from "the Legend", but when he talks about RL, he knows his stuff. He doesn't take himself too seriously and changes his views more often than his socks. He's just there to (over)react to current affairs in RL. As has been stated, the chemistry of the team really works. There's some good discussion and banter and plenty of input from fans. He can take it as well as give it out. They've stopped him banging on so much about Belle Isle and the bad old days at Leeds and try to keep him on track. And like they say, if you don't like it, listen to something else. I find it entertaining & informative.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Mick, seems a strange time to broadcast when directly sceduled at the same time as Sky's 'Golden Point' and the telivised game.

Is it still available as a Podcast? And does it still have the same title, I ask this because I searched Google for PSRL on Monday and Tuesday prior to my request on this thread only to be given referance to the show that is now Forty20 last broadcast on the 20th Aug, please enlighten.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Schoey is OTT but he makes good points and has experience as a player and Coach. But is a Traditionist. Phil is a Rugby League media guy who Covers many areas of the game especially working with the European RL. He is an expansionist and open minded. Richard and Mark are more fans who have experience in journalism. I think they Cover various to parts of the game well. The promotion of the PDRL and Womens Rugby League is excellent for example. Many others Cover just SL or the Pro Game. 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Always good to have another rugby league show. Good luck with it.

Thank you mate. 

Once we’re live at 7:00pm tomorrow Zak Hardaker will be answering viewers and listeners questions before kick-off. 

We will also have the latest on the forthcoming EGM. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Enjoy 👍🏻

Will there be a podcast up after the fact?

5 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Enjoy 👍🏻

Sounds interesting, is this why Proper Sport RL moves to Forty20? Could you imagine Gary Schofield ripping into Hardaker 😂

Edited by Mr Plow