Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

8-9 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

I'll echo the comments on Stebonheath Park, a nice little setup which I hope West Wales can make more their own in future seasons.

45 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Exactly this. Should York get promoted, I want them to have done it on the pitch, rather than at an EGM.

Agreed, and I'll be saying the same if York do mess up in one of the final 3 matches.

• Like 2

Huge score down at London Skolars who are currently beating Hemel 76-6!

14 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Huge score down at London Skolars who are currently beating Hemel 76-6!

Which is how it ended. 

Worrying for Hemel who used to be pretty competitive in their matches against Skolars. Time for them to rethink their approach maybe as being based up north clearly not working. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Worrying for Hemel who used to be pretty competitive in their matches against Skolars. Time for them to rethink their approach maybe as being based up north clearly not working. 

They’re an absolute shambles and it’s only the fact that West Wales are an even bigger shambles that more people aren’t scrutinising Hemel’s disastrous last couple of seasons. 

Quite ironic that they’re one of the only a handful of teams outside of Super League that own their own ground. They’re contributing next to nothing to the sport and should be thrown out of League 1. 

How in the name of all that is decent and holy are we third? I feel dirty. Surely there are sides more deserving? Doncaster can't possibly have done it right. Fantastic stadium, good community links, good use of dual reg, solid side built over a few seasons, great commercial sponsorship. Nope something must be wrong. We do own the Keepmoat btw

18 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

How in the name of all that is decent and holy are we third? I feel dirty. Surely there are sides more deserving? Doncaster can't possibly have done it right. Fantastic stadium, good community links, good use of dual reg, solid side built over a few seasons, great commercial sponsorship. Nope something must be wrong. We do own the Keepmoat btw

I regularly read the Doncaster rlfans forum and from what I've read, the period where Donny went from joint top to 8th (or thereabouts) on the back of defeats to Hunslet, Oldham, Workington hasn't helped, I remember at the time a few of the more vocal posters on there wanting DR to end, Carl Hall to hand over the reigns to someone else and Richard Horne to pack his bags and go back tp Hull.

But they've put a good set of results together, and with Workington imploding up at Newcastle who knows, they quite rightly will be third favourites for promotion. Some good re-signings for next season too, big coup keeping hold of Tali.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 4:55 PM, Rob Nash said:

Workington, London, Crusaders, Doncaster, Bradford, Whitehaven (just) and York. Nothing controversial there. Would love Newcastle to do us a favour but really don't think they're capable.

looks like we are capable.

• Like 2

A very lethargic performance by Town, looks like back to back games against Bulls and York took their toll. Well done to Thunder on a deserved victory.

When Newcastle are good, they are very, very good. 

Their backline is probably the best in the division, they’ve got so much pace. If they can get 3/4 experienced lads in the pack for next season they will be a real force. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

They’re an absolute shambles and it’s only the fact that West Wales are an even bigger shambles that more people aren’t scrutinising Hemel’s disastrous last couple of seasons. 

Quite ironic that they’re one of the only a handful of teams outside of Super League that own their own ground. They’re contributing next to nothing to the sport and should be thrown out of League 1. 

Indeed. They had no subs. 

15 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

If the RFL had even an ounce of common sense they’d give the 70 grand that Hemel receive to Coventry or Skolars. 

Edited by Moscow01

1 hour ago, Rob Nash said:

You are a tinker Rob😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

I regularly read the Doncaster rlfans forum and from what I've read, the period where Donny went from joint top to 8th (or thereabouts) on the back of defeats to Hunslet, Oldham, Workington hasn't helped, I remember at the time a few of the more vocal posters on there wanting DR to end, Carl Hall to hand over the reigns to someone else and Richard Horne to pack his bags and go back tp Hull.

But they've put a good set of results together, and with Workington imploding up at Newcastle who knows, they quite rightly will be third favourites for promotion. Some good re-signings for next season too, big coup keeping hold of Tali.

I'm not sure AB what went wrong over that period but whatever it was full credit to the coach for correcting it.  Your side deserves enormous credit for this season and if you hopefully go up as champions it will be fully deserved.

Massive result for the Toon is that win and to be fair its been coming they played very well at the Keepmoat last weekend.

• Like 2

Stunning result from Kingston Park. I definitely never saw that coming. Well done and thank you to the Thunder. Donny now need to take advantage.

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

They ain't no Rochdale Hornets or Featherstone Rovers,though.( The latter,former Challenge Cup winners,and Top 4 Championship chasers managing to win their last 2 games without a full 17 complement - Can I have their money from the RFL,Please? )

Interesting,I suppose,that one of the young players they had on dual reg at Hemel has done very well in The Championship,on his return.

They appear to have missed him,today.

3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

The game at New River was embarrassing. God knows what an any newbie thought of a Hemel side who could not bring 17 players and once one of their players limped off it was like fish in a barrel for the Skolars. Time for the RFL to financially punish sides who can't field a full 17,  it makes the game look Mickey Mouse, let alone the spectacle? of a procession of tries that impressed no one,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

The game at New River was embarrassing. God knows what an any newbie thought of a Hemel side who could not bring 17 players and once one of their players limped off it was like fish in a barrel for the Skolars. Time for the RFL to financially punish sides who can't field a full 17,  it makes the game look Mickey Mouse, let alone the spectacle? of a procession of tries that impressed no one,

Completely agree. This needs sorting. 

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

I'm not sure AB what went wrong over that period but whatever it was full credit to the coach for correcting it.  Your side deserves enormous credit for this season and if you hopefully go up as champions it will be fully deserved.

Donny just seem to be peaking at the right time, enough talent to cause whoever they face in the playoffs plenty of trouble. 

Agree about Hemel, surprised they couldn't field any subs, I know they are based in Sheffield but it's concerning. Looking at the early home fixtures they looked competent - 'only' losing 28-14, 22-16 and 18-12 to Hunslet, Coventry and London respectively. Even the 68-0 defeat to Bradford wasn't that humiliating all in all.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AB Knight said:

Donny just seem to be peaking at the right time, enough talent to cause whoever they face in the playoffs plenty of trouble. 

They have to have their DR players, especially Miloudi, available if they want to make an impression on the play offs.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, John Drake said:

SUNDAY 9th SEPTEMBER

Coventry Bears v North Wales Crusaders 22-18
Keighley Cougars v Doncaster 12-32
West Wales Raiders v Bradford Bulls 6-86
Whitehaven v Hunslet 18-10
York City Knights v Oldham 26-20

Confident that Bears will get another win under their belts today with players back from various absences and the motivation to stay above Skolars in the table.

As I'm up in sunny York for the long weekend I'll be attending the game at Bootham Crescent which I expect will be a cracker. Wouldn't rule out an Oldham win if they're at the top of their game.

With Worky surprisingly losing yesterday, it's becoming increasing likely that Hunslet's ill-gotten point off us with the "drop goal that never was" could be instrumental in the playoff places (assuming there are no restructuring issues affecting it)....I hope it doesn't for the other teams involved sakes, and theirs for the possible cat-calling that could happen if it comes to pass.