Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

9 Sept: Qualifiers: Widnes Vikings v Leeds Rhinos KO 3pm

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Widnes Vikings
      13
    • Leeds Rhinos
      30
    • Draw
      1

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2018 at 02:00 PM

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Are Widnes mathematically unable to stay up? Or are we just making assumptions too early?   Not over til the fat lady sings.

They can still get in to the MPG if results go their way

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're done for.

They have to beat BOTH Toronto and Hull KR away to have any chance of staying up.

That's not happening. Halifax should be a gimme for Widnes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chuffer said:

A finger up yours

Sadly Widnes were dead to to rights bottom of the table after 23 games. 6 more loop fixtures were not goint to make any difference. They were going to finish bottom.

For what it is worth I do not really believe in relegation. And of course I do not believe in the 8s, hence I call it a fight to the bottom between them and Leeds.    Widnes have been doing the right things over the years and are as viable as most... It's a mess that they should be relegate.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who do you left Chuffer? Fax (H), TWP (A) and? 

KR...we may get 1 out of that, 2 at a stretch....but 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another thing that will probably come in to play this year is points difference.

Hull KR might regret letting Halifax back in to it today as well as shipping those points v Salford, and Toulouse shipping a lot of points to London has been a bit of a double loss as they have gone from having comfortably better points difference to slightly less than London.

And thats where Widnes are really struggling because they are nearly 70pts worse off than Toronto and nearly 50pts worse than Toulouse. They will really need to put some points on Halifax to claw that back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chuffer said:

K

KR...we may get 1 out of that, 2 at a stretch....but 3?

As much of a miracle as the Immaculate Conception at this rate....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chuffer said:

K

KR...we may get 1 out of that, 2 at a stretch....but 3?

Out of interest chuffer, as a Widnes fan who's been there before, what feels better - watching a team that hovers round the top of the championship with a smaller happier crowd, or watching a team that is generally mid-to-lower super league (that's not meant to sound disrespectful BTW) with bigger crowds? 

Of all the Widnes fans I've met, most seemed more cheerful in the days of the Northern Rail Cup.

Edited by Desert Skipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Mathematically its possible, i think but we'd have to win all 3 of our remaining games...given that we havent won a single game yet in the qualifiers, i would say thats a tall order

Widnes need to win all 3 games, even if they do you would expect London to beat Halifax at home so get to at least 6 points, and one of Toulouse and Toronto will be on 6 after next week (unless they draw) so Widnes would at best be looking at points difference to make the MPG. Their only hope is to get big wins against Halifax and Toronto in the next 2 weeks, hope that Toulouse and London are hammered by Salford and HKR in their two fixtures and then sneak a win at HKR on the final day. One factor may be that Salford would be mathematically safe with a win next week, leaving the door open for London and Toulouse to attack in the final two games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Out of interest chuffer, as a Widnes fan who's been there before, what feels better - watching a team that hovers round the top of the championship with a smaller happier crowd, or watching a team that is generally mid-to-lower super league (that's not meant to sound disrespectful BTW) with bigger crowds? 

Of all the Widnes fans I've met, most seemed more cheerful in the days of the Northern Rail Cup.

I wasnt happy when we were in the championship, i kept hoping one day we'd return to the top table

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Sadly Widnes were dead to to rights bottom of the table after 23 games. 6 more loop fixtures were not goint to make any difference. They were going to finish bottom.

For what it is worth I do not really believe in relegation. And of course I do not believe in the 8s, hence I call it a fight to the bottom between them and Leeds.    Widnes have been doing the right things over the years and are as viable as most... It's a mess that they should be relegate.

What have they been doing right? The crowds are utter garbage

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

What have they been doing right? The crowds are utter garbage

Spending within our means, developing our own players etc

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Spending within our means, developing our own players etc

I wouldn’t bother replying to Leigh fans trolling

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I've been as tense as that since the last ten minutes of the 2015 Grand Final. Listening to radio Leeds on an intermittent signal didn't help my blood pressure.

Feel sorry for Widnes and Franny Cummins but Leeds really really couldn't afford to lose that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I wouldn’t bother replying to Leigh fans trolling

He's like the leigh version of kevin keegan, "i would bloody love it if them lot go down" ...ever since they lost the MPG and then certain leigh fans starting whingeing that it was unfair with widnes finishing last etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M j M said:

I don't think I've been as tense as that since the last ten minutes of the 2015 Grand Final. Listening to radio Leeds on an intermittent signal didn't help my blood pressure.

Feel sorry for Widnes and Franny Cummins but Leeds really really couldn't afford to lose that one.

I’m hoping that with a bit of pressure off Leeds can kick on from here - but knowing Leeds they’ll dish up another ###### next week putting the pressure back on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't think I've been as tense as that since the last ten minutes of the 2015 Grand Final. Listening to radio Leeds on an intermittent signal didn't help my blood pressure.

Feel sorry for Widnes and Franny Cummins but Leeds really really couldn't afford to lose that one.

The good news for Widnes though is that they will beat Halifax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chuffer said:

He's like the leigh version of kevin keegan, "i would bloody love it if them lot go down" ...ever since they lost the MPG and then certain leigh fans starting whingeing that it was unfair with widnes finishing last etc

Wasnt unfair. We knew it was not decided by SL positions. 

I’m still curious to know what home grown talent has come through the ranks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The good news for Widnes though is that they will beat Halifax.

Will they?  Fax put up a fight today, my monies on fax with the upset!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Wasnt unfair. We knew it was not decided by SL positions. 

I’m still curious to know what home grown talent has come through the ranks?

He didn’t actually say we produced top players (although we do have three in the England Knights squad)

We’ve produced players for our own first team which will do us well next year in he Championship, hopefully Leigh will actually think about how a RL clubs should be structured now Degsy has done one. Plenty of talent around Leigh but if you don’t run an academy they’ll just go elsewhere

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

My money would be on the Vikings for this one

Well that was the best we've defended in about 3 months, we were unlucky not to come away with a win.

Not bitter, but Leeds had the Ref in their pocket the whole game.

Edited by Bomb Jack
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Wasnt unfair. We knew it was not decided by SL positions. 

I’m still curious to know what home grown talent has come through the ranks?

Just look at our regular starting 17...usuallly the likes of walker, whitley, the chapelhow bros, Gilmore, ince, ashall-bott...today our half was the young lyons....ok theyre not all playing for england yet but these are widnes academy lads in first team positions that would prob otherwise be filled by an aussie journeyman

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bomb Jack said:

Well that was the best we've defended in about 3 months, we were unlucky not to come away with a win.

Not biter, but Leeds had the Ref in their pocket the whole game.

That wouldn't be the only time in this format that Leeds appeared to have the ref in their pockets according to some, but the refs overall do a good job and deserve our full support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday