Sign in to follow this  
Fax lad

this seasons relegation

Looking at the league tables there is a few big teams who look like getting relegated, Wigan st pats (is this the 1st time they have been out of the premier ), Leigh east and hunslet warriors to name a couple also look like going down, some big names of the past out of the premier and won’t be easy to get back  !!!

Wigan St. Patricks were the only team to never have been relegated from the premier division until now, but they have finished bottom twice before. The first time there was only one division and they were re-elected then the second time they were saved because the top division was increased by 2 teams.

15 hours ago, Fax lad said:

Looking at the league tables there is a few big teams who look like getting relegated, Wigan st pats (is this the 1st time they have been out of the premier ), Leigh east and hunslet warriors to name a couple also look like going down, some big names of the past out of the premier and won’t be easy to get back  !!!

Warriors need to work on getting a committed bunch of lads down week in week out. A lot of lads sloped off in the past 2 years and whilst nobody would dispute they have a good production line coming through the juniors, some senior players who shuffled away when the results starting going against them need to find a bit of backbone. Back to back relegations is never good and unless something changes they're prime candidates to finish bottom of Div 3 next year or worse still fold at open age. 

Some teams this week will be looking for a win or even relying on other results to go their  way to save relegation, two definitely going down look like Myton Warriors and Wigan St Pats, its going to be strange for Wigan next season not been in the top flight for the first time, be strange not going there too 

2 minutes ago, Rammo23 said:

Some teams this week will be looking for a win or even relying on other results to go their  way to save relegation, two definitely going down look like Myton Warriors and Wigan St Pats, its going to be strange for Wigan next season not been in the top flight for the first time, be strange not going there too 

Myton & St Pats are already relegated

Though it’s nice to see some new up and coming clubs emerge it’s a crying shame that some famous and household named clubs are in demise..we will have to wait and see what the future brings .

I tipped the 3 that did go down at the start of the season and after the early rounds I thought Normy were going to prove me wrong. Shame for them - they were always a tough game when we played them. 

Clubs go through tough years

I think summer rugby has changed things when we voted to go to summer I voted yes but should review in 3 years that time has come and sorry I said yes but it’s not worked 

summer for kids till U16s but community rugby needs to go back to winter 

• Like 1

The professional clubs have a lot to answer for in terms of the decimation of  amateur youth rugby, I would abolish scholarships at professional clubs, the whole of rugby league needs a massive overhaul.

In regards to O/a sides struggling, I always think things go full circle the club's mentioned earlier are all strong clubs who will in a few years rebuild and come strong again, sides find their level.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:54 AM, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Warriors need to work on getting a committed bunch of lads down week in week out. A lot of lads sloped off in the past 2 years and whilst nobody would dispute they have a good production line coming through the juniors, some senior players who shuffled away when the results starting going against them need to find a bit of backbone. Back to back relegations is never good and unless something changes they're prime candidates to finish bottom of Div 3 next year or worse still fold at open age. 

I know the other side of the fence is going great guns at the minute but it's a bit harsh to lay the recent demise of the Warriors at the door of the older lads. Infact i think that is the main reason for the slide, the core of that squad got OLD together and have decided to move away from the game, retire from rugby completely pretty much at the same time which had to happen sometime with around 20 years at the top end of the amateur game, and yes, it has left a huge experience hole to be filled. The Junior set up at the Warriors is very good though and in time they get the experience and move back up the leagues. Div. 3 is about the level right now for those lads so no complaints but they won't be folding.

2 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

I know the other side of the fence is going great guns at the minute but it's a bit harsh to lay the recent demise of the Warriors at the door of the older lads. Infact i think that is the main reason for the slide, the core of that squad got OLD together and have decided to move away from the game, retire from rugby completely pretty much at the same time which had to happen sometime with around 20 years at the top end of the amateur game, and yes, it has left a huge experience hole to be filled. The Junior set up at the Warriors is very good though and in time they get the experience and move back up the leagues. Div. 3 is about the level right now for those lads so no complaints but they won't be folding.

I know the lads you're talking about that have retired in recent years. The likes of Caldon, Gary Mc, James Baker to name but a few - they're not the ones I mean though. There was plenty of lads who had a fair few good years left in them but decided to stop playing - i'm sure they had their reasons but it did seem to coincide with a turn in results. I understand every side goes through rebuilding when a core group of seniors finish up, we'll have the same in about 2/3 years i'd imagine, but I've watched the warriors a lot over the years and like I say I know the loyal senior lads who have retired but the lads that should've still been about to aid the transition all seem to have sloped off as well - which what is making it all the more difficult. Daryl Gaunt and Jonny Dawson are the only ones I can think of that have stuck around. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I know the lads you're talking about that have retired in recent years. The likes of Caldon, Gary Mc, James Baker to name but a few - they're not the ones I mean though. There was plenty of lads who had a fair few good years left in them but decided to stop playing - i'm sure they had their reasons but it did seem to coincide with a turn in results. I understand every side goes through rebuilding when a core group of seniors finish up, we'll have the same in about 2/3 years i'd imagine, but I've watched the warriors a lot over the years and like I say I know the loyal senior lads who have retired but the lads that should've still been about to aid the transition all seem to have sloped off as well - which what is making it all the more difficult. Daryl Gaunt and Jonny Dawson are the only ones I can think of that have stuck around. 

fair enough, i get what you mean now. Sadly when the slide is on players that have latched on to clubs through the good times go find another club, that happens everywhere but i can't think of any long standing players that ditched the club and gone glory hunting elsewhere.  I'm long since retired but am one of the lads who started at boys club back in the 90's before the old boys formed and went across on mass to the Warriors back then as they were the only open age team to play for really at that level in the area.  Good to see the old boys keeping the flag flying in Hunslet, hopefully the Warriors can join you back up there again in the not too distant future, good luck in the play offs.

• Like 1