Farmduck

NRL 2018 - Finals Week 1 Match Thread

Just now, Farmduck said:

with 17 seconds left, a try to

duffman-495x307.jpg

...ty

FT:   St George  48    Brisbane  18

I've never enjoyed getting a tip wrong as much as that.

• Haha 1

WHAT A ###### GAME.....ABSOLUTELY CHEERING THIS DRAGONS SIDE ON TO A GRAND FINAL WIN IN 2018

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:19 PM, R L Winger said:

WHAT A ###### GAME.....ABSOLUTELY CHEERING THIS DRAGONS SIDE ON TO A GRAND FINAL WIN IN 2018

👍

How good were those games ? Fantastic stuff , got to say our club game looks as far off as ever and getting further . I’d written the dragons off but that was outstanding . Tariq Sims must be made out of titanium . Shame for Widdop and for England , leaves a massive hole .

looks like the play offs are gonna see an even more ridiculous use of the bunker  , and how Sutton keeps getting big games after his season bemuses me . By far the worst ref over the weekend several penalty calls wrong and going to the VR to ‘confirm ‘ what he’s looking at . If a guy of his experience can’t make a decision it says a lot about the confidence in the ranks 

Edited by DavidM

One big difference IS the refereeing from the first games of this season to the finals. First off it was whistles to the letter of the law,  'the initiative dictat', and stop start penalty fest.

This week it was let the game flow, with 10m rule generally ignored to shrinking point.

Chalk and cheese.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

One big difference IS the refereeing from the first games of this season to the finals. First off it was whistles to the letter of the law,  'the initiative dictat', and stop start penalty fest.

This week it was let the game flow, with 10m rule generally ignored to shrinking point.

Chalk and cheese.

Refs must be screwed up mentally , I’d like to think they do not want to have every game as a refereeing clinic , robotically sticking by instructions however picky , and making all the small calls but no big calls . I think Cecchin giving it up is partly due to the protocols he’s told to ref by . Hand on the ball , interference , strip blah blah . All the boxes they’re tokd to tick , however irrelevant .Origin was the opposite then it’s back to normal , play offs is half n half . We want every game like origin , not the reverse . I really hope come the seasons end they get  a grip on this for 2019 . Keep out of it as much as possible in play and then make a decision when there’s one to be made . It’s turned a lot of folk off this year 

Edited by DavidM

That first game that Storm played under the dictat at the beginning of the season was a nightmare to watch.

The thing is the rules were being enforced rigidly. I’d rather watch flowing games. All the same once they had started if the instructions had been given to refs, if they had consistently gone at it for the duration then we might have had a cleaned up game which flowed again when the players and coaches got the message. But like a lot of initiatives, it was short lived and abandoned due to bad feedback in the media etc.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

That first game that Storm played under the dictat at the beginning of the season was a nightmare to watch.

The thing is the rules were being enforced rigidly. I’d rather watch flowing games. All the same once they had started if the instructions had been given to refs, if they had consistently gone at it for the duration then we might have had a cleaned up game which flowed again when the players and coaches got the message. But like a lot of initiatives, it was short lived and abandoned due to bad feedback in the media etc.

If that was the sharks game that’s the one where cecchin said to the players he was a bit fed up all the penalties to

Not sure if it was that game, David Cechinn might have been fed up, but probably not as much as the paying people inside the ground and the TV audience worwide who had to suffer those 80 minutes of torment.

Just to air the other view that was floated after that Storm v Sharks game... I found what Vossy said in his Fox column after the game:

"DISLIKES

Criticism of the penalty crackdown: We must be a game of hypocrites. The referees are attempting to clean up years of neglect and need the help of the coaches and players. In all the hullabaloo after Friday night at Cronulla, did anyone notice that nearly every play the ball in the match, the attacker got their foot to the ball? It can be done. Now to standing off-side on your goal line. If fans are happy for refs to turn a blind eye to players off-side by half a metre, there still has to be a point where a player is penalised. Would you rather refs penalise players for not getting back to the imaginary line or the real line?"

Edited by Graham

That Dragons win last Sunday I put up there with their 2 best other wins in the last 50 years. The 1977 grand final replay against the Eels and the 1999 grand final qualifying semi final against the Roosters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R L Winger said:

That Dragons win last Sunday I put up there with their 2 best other wins in the last 50 years. The 1977 grand final replay against the Eels and the 1999 grand final qualifying semi final against the Roosters.

Ah but should they lose on Saturday will you be calling for McGregor's head again. We sports  fans are so fickle😁

10 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Ah but should they lose on Saturday will you be calling for McGregor's head again. We sports  fans are so fickle😁

Win or lose McGregor has to go