Sign in to follow this  
Sports Prophet

Serena Williams

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Liew was on Radio 2 a short time ago saying this. He acknowledged that she was rude, broke the rules, but we are unreasonable expecting her not to behave like this.

Seems a sensible viewpoint Jonathon!

I’m not sure that’s exactly supportive and complementary ! He might as well have said ‘ you are what you are eh ? ‘

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m not sure that’s exactly supportive and complementary ! He might as well have said ‘ you are what you are eh ? ‘

I thought it was an odd approach. His view was that she has been pushing the rules and hasn't been conforming her whole career. 

Oh cool, let her act how she wants then!

EDIT: it would be interesting to try that defence for somebody like Zak Hardaker.

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

Only the umpire knows what his motivations were. I suspect that he'd be as surprised as anyone to learn that he is being accused of sexism. If so, I hope he speaks out about how offended he is by the false accusation, because I jolly well would if it was me being accused like that.

As others have said, officials in all sports are regularly accused of not being consistent. If you're going to make an accusation of sexism - which is basically insulting someone's character - then you need to be pretty damn sure that you know what you're talking about. Highlighting a few examples where you think a man has been treated differently, simply isn't scientific enough to prove your point. Maybe there's lots of men out there wondering why they were given a penalty when another male player wasn't, just like you get in football when one player gets a yellow card and another doesn't. It's not an exact science and rarely are two situations identical in every way, so it's not always easy to make a comparison.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Only the umpire knows what his motivations were. I suspect that he'd be as surprised as anyone to learn that he is being accused of sexism. If so, I hope he speaks out about how offended he is by the false accusation, because I jolly well would if it was me being accused like that.

As others have said, officials in all sports are regularly accused of not being consistent. If you're going to make an accusation of sexism - which is basically insulting someone's character - then you need to be pretty damn sure that you know what you're talking about. Highlighting a few examples where you think a man has been treated differently, simply isn't scientific enough to prove your point. Maybe there's lots of men out there wondering why they were given a penalty when another male player wasn't, just like you get in football when one player gets a yellow card and another doesn't. It's not an exact science and rarely are two situations identical in every way, so it's not always easy to make a comparison.

Good point . Why should he just accept these disgraceful slurs on his character and professionalism . He couldnt say it he’d be sacked ,  and in general life you could get in real trouble for coming out with that nowadays . It’s as if that’s irrelevant and she’s shifted the focus 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good point . Why should he just accept these disgraceful slurs on his character and professionalism . He couldnt say it he’d be sacked ,  and in general life you could get in real trouble for coming out with that nowadays . It’s as if that’s irrelevant and she’s shifted the focus 

Like referees in rugby league, unless they resign they are advised/told to say nothing and let their reps deal with it, usually behind closed doors rather than in public. Unlike the players and their reps who can say what they like and often get away with it, or get a fine they don't even notice.

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Like referees in rugby league, unless they resign they are advised/told to say nothing and let their reps deal with it, usually behind closed doors rather than in public. Unlike the players and their reps who can say what they like and often get away with it, or get a fine they don't even notice.

I can understand that policy as a general rule, because you don't want referees involved in a slanging match with players etc. However, this is a specific allegation that goes beyond what an official might normally have to deal with. It's not an argument over whether he called a ball in or out correctly - this is about his character. He's being accused of being sexist - that's a serious accusation and he needs to address it. I would if it was me, irrespective of what any governing body said. It's your reputation at stake.

Female officials for female sports and male officials for male sports. Separate everyone and let's not speak about mixing again 😉

Plus, if Serena is really pushing for equality of the sexes, why isn't she demanding to play 5 sets at Grand Slams? 

Having watched Tennis for a fair few years, I've seen male players penalised for obnoxious behaviour, like Jeff Tarrango, Justin Gimelstob and David Nalbandian*, let alone notorious brats like McEnroe or Nastase.

*Disqualified on the spot in his case, for lashing out and injuring a match official.

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Having watched Tennis for a fair few years, I've seen male players penalised for obnoxious behaviour, like Jeff Tarrango, Justin Gimelstob and David Nalbandian*, let alone notorious brats like McEnroe or Nastase.

*Disqualified on the spot in his case, for lashing out and injuring a match official.

Not into tennis but even I remember Tarrango , and I think his missus , at Wimbledon . And isn’t there an Aussie lad who’s always in the news for his behaviour. So you’d hope and think rules are enforced universally 

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not into tennis but even I remember Tarrango , and I think his missus , at Wimbledon . And isn’t there an Aussie lad who’s always in the news for his behaviour. So you’d hope and think rules are enforced universally 

That would be Dick "Nickhead" Kyrgios. Very talented, but clearly wasn't slapped enough as an infant.

30 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That would be Dick "Nickhead" Kyrgios. Very talented, but clearly wasn't slapped enough as an infant.

Isn't he an ethnic minority? 

Racism! 

I think I remember Tim Henman getting disqualified for hitting the ball at the ballboy/ballgirl. I don't even think it was intentional - he just whacked it in frustration and it hit them. I think on reflection it might have been a ball girl, so probably another sexist attack as well.

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I think I remember Tim Henman getting disqualified for hitting the ball at the ballboy/ballgirl. I don't even think it was intentional - he just whacked it in frustration and it hit them. I think on reflection it might have been a ball girl, so probably another sexist attack as well.

Much more recently, the young Canadian player Denis Shapovalov accidentally hit the umpire in the face with a ball during a Davis Cup tie. Despite it clearly being a freak accident, and him being obviously and honestly mortified (and the umpire accepting his apologies), the rules are the rules. He was disqualified and Great Britain won the match and the tie.

Just seen a stat on Twitter, but don't know if it's true or not, but about three times more male players were penalised for code violations than female ones in this year's US Open.

37 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Much more recently, the young Canadian player Denis Shapovalov accidentally hit the umpire in the face with a ball during a Davis Cup tie. Despite it clearly being a freak accident, and him being obviously and honestly mortified (and the umpire accepting his apologies), the rules are the rules. He was disqualified and Great Britain won the match and the tie.

Just seen a stat on Twitter, but don't know if it's true or not, but about three times more male players were penalised for code violations than female ones in this year's US Open.

A tennis journalist has said it was 86 times to 22.

Yeh but but but...

Sexism doesn`t come into it , if She called the Umpire a Liar and a Thief , i don`t know what She has to complain about .They took too long to sort Umpire abuse in the first place , John MacEnroe stopped me watching tennis years ago with his strops and childish tantrums .

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Female officials for female sports and male officials for male sports. Separate everyone and let's not speak about mixing again 😉

Plus, if Serena is really pushing for equality of the sexes, why isn't she demanding to play 5 sets at Grand Slams? 

Err, what do you do about mixed doubles ?

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Paul O'Grady?

• Like 1

So I've just been catching up with this story, apparently the cartoon published about her is also now racist too.

Calm down dear, it's only a game.

People used to laugh at spoilt brats throwing a tantrum, not turn them into freedom fighters.

Completely pathetic and actually undermining women's equality.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I never mix doubles, strictly gin OR vodka... never both old boy.

Just now, Johnoco said:

So I've just been catching up with this story, apparently the cartoon published about her is also now racist too.

People used to laugh at spoilt brats throwing a tantrum, not turn them into freedom fighters.

Being offended  has gone to such ridiculous levels it’s now the leading pastime in the world . We’re becoming a straitjacketed tut tutting puritanical society sadly . Millions of people fought or died for free speech and we are throwing it away voluntarily , along with humour 

16 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The single thing I saw wrong with the picture was that the real Japanese girl was not blonde and white!  The main picture of Williams was clearly a caricature with no intent to racism.

Just because someone is black does not give them a free pass from satire, all it means is that the satirist has to be careful and be sure of their intent before doing so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ckn said:

The single thing I saw wrong with the picture was that the real Japanese girl was not blonde and white!  The main picture of Williams was clearly a caricature with no intent to racism.

Just because someone is black does not give them a free pass from satire, all it means is that the satirist has to be careful and be sure of their intent before doing so.

I thought it was fairly obviously racist but then that's because a lot of cartoonist is about turning someone into a caricature and so if you do that with a black person you're going to enlarge lips etc in a way that shrieks stereotype. Anyone with any understanding of art is going to know that.

What it did make me wonder is if there is a daily political cartoonist anywhere on the planet who is unutterably ghastly in every single way. It was terrible.