Batley Bob

Club statement

The Chairman of my team Swinton Lions has said virtually the same thing and he will be voting against it because of the uncertainty of funding for Championship and Championship 1 clubs.I for one support him on that even if we do end up not getting a potential reprieve relegation wise.Or to put it another way he is putting the game before club.

Now personally I actually agree with the basic proposal per se as 14 teams in the Championship is more logical BUT if there is a chance that clubs like Swinton,Batley,Dewsbury etc end up with no Central funding(which is already poor as it is)if this proposal goes ahead then it has to be a resounding NO.

• Like 4

Rumours doing the rounds that the SL clubs have threatened Widnes in the event of relegation with no parachute payment should they vote against. And stated at today's Championship press conference that one SL club had threatened its DR partner that it woild withdraw from their agreement and pull out of a pre-season friendly should they vote against (strongly hinted to be Warrington/Rochdale). Clearly the argument for change is strong and coherent.....

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super league take a larger share of the money and championship and championship 1 get less

They expect the championship clubs to take their 2nd team players and pay their wages on dual registration 

Stop taking their 2nd team players on dual reg it don’t work anyway 

Season long loans maybe but why should we subsidise their wage bill since they let us have less money 

Simple !!!

The beginning of the end of rugby league. Disgusted by the whole sorry affair. 

How could any club outside sl think that this is good for the game?

Edited by DOGFATHER

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

The beginning of the end of rugby league. Disgusted by the whole sorry affair. 

How could any club outside sl think that this is good for the game?

68% vote in favour. That sounds as convincing as anything to me .

The Championship restructure looks like a reasonable compromise too, and it should be a more attractive division next season. Now, how is the money going to be divided?

Edited by Blind side johnny

Don't worry we'll be back here again in 3 or 4 years when the SL clubs realise that this structure doesn't work (just like the last time it was tried). The only question is how they'll blame it on the Championship clubs.......

Does that mean there will be no relegation from our division . If in 2019 our division will be 14 teams. To get to 14 ....2 teams will be promoted from Championship 1. 

Currently 12 + 2 up means no relegation????

From the RFL, but even this raise issues, not least player contracts/availability beyond the originally expected end-of-season!

To get to a 14 team Betfred Championship at the end of this current season two teams from Betfred League 1 will be promoted. As has always been planned this season, the team finishing top of League 1 will be automatically promoted. 

Teams 2 to 5 will then play semi-finals with the winners of the Promotional Final being promoted. The final place in the Betfred Championship for 2019 will be decided by a Play-off Final between the team that finishes bottom of the Championship Shield and the loser of the Promotional Final.

I as a Swinton Lions fan welcome the fact that the Championship has been expanded to 14 teams,not because it gives us a fighting chance of survival but that it is logical and right.I am glad the Summer Bash is staying though ideally I would like to move it elsewhere as Blackpool frankly is a dump and s***hole.I welcome the fact that Championship 1 is going to be 12 teams which hopefully one day we will see 2 new clubs if they are viable and sustainable join the RL family. I have never been a fan of the 8s as they have proven to be a turnoff,it is a duplication of previous games where one is enough. I am also glad that the Championship and Championship 1 clubs were allowed to decide themselves on the format,good call.

BUT there is one issue that as far as I can tell has not been resolved and that is the Central funding post 2021 and whether or not the same percentage of funding will be given to the clubs outside Super League And wasn’t that one of the reasons why your club and mine publicly said they would vote against these proposals which were in the main Super League driven?will there be funding for our clubs or not?yes or No?if yes good if No then why in God’s name was this voted for by what I have heard 9 fellow Championship/Championship clubs?potentially they may well have written their own death certificate along with that of fellow clubs like ours.I think it would be good if your Chairman Kevin Nicholas who I respect or ours Andy Mazey who I personally like and respect were to tell us yes or no.

If the answer to my question is No then we have been dumped on and it will be bad enough Super League doing it but fellow Championship or Championship 1 clubs doing the dirty on us would be hard to stomach and would frankly be a huge betrayal of us all.

So to sum up yes some good points and good decisions regarding the set up but nowhere near enough clarity regarding the future funding and that to me is not good enough and why I will not be doing cartwheels over this.

So did some clubs say they would vote one way and then vote the other? Would it have made any difference if clubs west of the Pennines had been represented in the Championship/League 1 negotiating team?

On 9/13/2018 at 8:35 PM, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Rumours doing the rounds that the SL clubs have threatened Widnes in the event of relegation with no parachute payment should they vote against. And stated at today's Championship press conference that one SL club had threatened its DR partner that it woild withdraw from their agreement and pull out of a pre-season friendly should they vote against (strongly hinted to be Warrington/Rochdale). Clearly the argument for change is strong and coherent.....

Apparently it was a secret ballot.

Those clowns at Rochdale have released a statement saying that they voted for it.

I wouldn't urinate on that clubs representatives if they were on fire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Those clowns at Rochdale have released a statement saying that they voted for it.

I sincerely hope Oldham didn't vote in favour of the superleague club's. If they did this is my last season in the game. Shame on Rochdale,I hope they're the first to go bump for this.

10 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Very charitable. 

Mr Carter tweeted earlier in the week that he was voting for what was best for his club (although in a couple of years I think he'll find that he was greatly mistaken), no mention of the game. Voting for your own self interest is, after all, the Rugby League way.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, Blind side johnny said:

68% vote in favour. That sounds as convincing as anything to me .

The Championship restructure looks like a reasonable compromise too, and it should be a more attractive division next season. Now, how is the money going to be divided?

According to Oxy on the main forum, the new funding structure also comes in next season which may cause some difficulties......

KN did not mention this in his pre-match speech on Sunday, but I guess with the reorganisation of the divisions, the distribution of the funds will obviously have to be looked at.

I thought the funding from TV couldn't be touched until 2021

2 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

I thought the funding from TV couldn't be touched until 2021

I think the amount can't change but the distribution amongst the clubs must with no 8's.

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

I think the amount can't change but the distribution amongst the clubs must with no 8's.

I would imagine the Championship (+L1?) clubs would have to agree to any changes in finding structure for next season although it would seem harsh for them to potentially make financial life difficult for some. But it is RL, and the majority would gain from a (more) even distribution......