Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Season of the fake

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I’m a bit on the fence as to whether injured players are taken off the field or not.  Serious lower limbs, usually pretty clear, as the player knows they could be put for a good while.  Upper limbs, not so and many have carried on with those for some time.

Extremely difficult to tell with a head/neck injury, but when players then jump up, once the penalty is given, grab the ball, kick down field, chase to take the 1st receiver position, I draw a line.  To me, that’s the same as conduct not in keeping with the game.

I wouldn’t disagree with that I just don’t like the punishing of genuine injured players. I think it’s a dangerous road to go down. 

11 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I wouldn’t disagree with that I just don’t like the punishing of genuine injured players. I think it’s a dangerous road to go down. 

I thinks that’s fair enough Bob, but if they are seriously injured, don’t they need to go off anyway?  We’re never going to stop a player not fully disclosing his injury either, if he wants to stay on.  

The RFL and the game itself need to find a way to make coaches react, in such a way, so that they stop this feigning at source.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I thinks that’s fair enough Bob, but if they are seriously injured, don’t they need to go off anyway?  We’re never going to stop a player not fully disclosing his injury either, if he wants to stay on.  

The RFL and the game itself need to find a way to make coaches react, in such a way, so that they stop this feigning at source.

We’ve seen players playing on with  injuries that would wipe most of us out for weeks. Broken eye sockets,cheek bones and even arms. Which is fine if they’ve been assessed and the Doctor/physio have said they aren’t going to do themselves further injury. What we’d be doing is encouraging these players to not stay down with a injury as it will harm the team. Players who have clearly shown they are capable of blocking pain out if needed. I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that a player could play on with a neck injury that he shouldn’t be. 

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

We’ve seen players playing on with  injuries that would wipe most of us out for weeks. Broken eye sockets,cheek bones and even arms. Which is fine if they’ve been assessed and the Doctor/physio have said they aren’t going to do themselves further injury. What we’d be doing is encouraging these players to not stay down with a injury as it will harm the team. Players who have clearly shown they are capable of blocking pain out if needed. I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that a player could play on with a neck injury that he shouldn’t be. 

I’m a little baffled on how we would be encouraging players not to stay down.  Who would realistically do that if they were seriously injured.

Coaches & Players are already encouraging them to stay down now and they are - but they aren’t injured.  It’s this issue that we should be focussing on as well as the backchat to waste time, stepping forward of the mark  etc etc etc.

The bravehearts aren’t really the problem.  Like boxers and others, they signed up for a game which may cause very serious injury.  Coaches, doctors and physios are not fools.  Its very rarely in their interests to allow a player to play on.

On 9/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, bobbruce said:

I agree this is frustrating but if we bring a rule were players sustaining a neck injury have to leave the field. Are we not in danger of encouraging crusher tackles. 

Not if the penalty for being guilty of it is harsh enough, deliberate, then out to end of season, even if its the first game of the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Not to mentioned the odd ruptured testicle.

• Haha 2