Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

David Argyle to relocate Skolars to USA

The Wolfpack owner has agreed to buy 25% of London Skolars with a view to taking full ownership and moving it to Philadelphia, according to League Weekly.

Boston also a possibility for Skolars or maybe another to-be relocated club.

Fascinating story. And rather controversial.

Edited by Man of Kent

Hmmm why not just set up a new club in Philadelphia? I don't really see the point of relocating Skolars and what they would offer, no offence meant to Skolars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The Wolfpack owner has agreed to buy 25% of London Skolars with a view to taking full ownership and moving it to Philadelphia, according to League Weekly.

Link?

Sorry, just seen that you’ve said it’s in league weekly which means it must be b0ll0cks

Edited by DoubleD

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

April 1st was 5 months ago

Thats what I was thinking 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Hmmm why not just set up a new club in Philadelphia? I don't really see the point of relocating Skolars and what they would offer, no offence meant to Skolars.

I suppose they wouldn’t have to wait for the RFL to let them into the league. Queue-jumping, perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well I guess because he's only paying for 25% of the club instead of all of it!

6 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Well I guess because he's only paying for 25% of the club instead of all of it!

Supposedly with a view of full ownership. Anyway the point is what do the Skolars offer for that 25%? I do understand the league place argument but I'd have thought that the RFL wouldn't want to lose a sustainable London team that have done very well since their inception. RL as a whole shouldn't want to lose that either. An entirely new club would be preferable on every level and would expand the games footprint rather than seeing it reduced in England.

• Like 1

The people of Calder will be marching behind pitchforks and flaming torches chanting "No soft cheese here, no soft cheese here" to the applause of the 200,000 who signed the petition but don't go to games.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

This seems utterly pointless.

If it's about queue jumping into the League without having to wait for RFL approval, you'd think one of the newer clubs that are struggling like Hemel or WWR would have been a better bet. 

He is buying a club with its own facilities and a rather large player pool to draw from - he is a philanthropist, believes rugby is a way to stop kids going off the rails - and there are a lot of talented athletes who will never see the light of day down there

He gets players, facilities, and membership of the RFL - they are not invitees like TWP or Catalans or TO

I dont think this is about moving a team to Philly or anywhere else, i think its about using the skolars as a development team/reserve grade to get his players from over there over here and playing at a higher standard

I would also be a bit wary if i was the Broncos, because Skolars may well end up being the big boys with Argyle behind them now

Note he has a 25% stake - i think you cannot own 2 member clubs in RL - TWP aren’t a member - maybe this is a way of testing the waters a bit 

Strategically it wouldn’t make sense relocating the team out to Philly or anywhere else unless he moved the membership/franchise to the USA, which would be amazing, and kept the Skolars on for resubmission at a later date complete with facilities to do it - ends up with three teams, one full member in the USA, one invited TWP and one he only owns a 49% sure in - so doesn’t own the Skolars 

To be fair surprised he hasn’t bought the Widnes franchise/membership!

• Like 4

Where does Perez fit into all of this?

• Haha 1

There's method in his madness!

Buying a share of Skolars won't break the bank and would permit all kinds of possibilities to play out....none of which will happen if things stay as they are.

I'm all for these ambitious events. Belgrade,Barcelona,Boston.....interesting times ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

There's method in his madness!

Buying a share of Skolars won't break the bank and would permit all kinds of possibilities to play out....none of which will happen if things stay as they are.

I'm all for these ambitious events. Belgrade,Barcelona,Boston.....interesting times ahead.

Argyle knows exactly what he is doing and he loves the action....get out of his way and let him roll.  He is totally all in to make RL a reality in NA, and he has the coin to do the talking.  Toronto will be the model from which he builds...he has learned alot with his Toronto endeavor.

P.S. I just knew Argyle was going to get a vote at that meeting this Friday, especially after denying TWP a fair vote since they were from Canada and therefore denied due to discrimination.  Just not acceptable to him.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Expansion into Lincolnshire. Whoop di doo 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Heard about this a few months ago and then it seemed to go quiet, I understood it wasn’t about relocation but more about a U.K. base for development.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The Skolars bit would add up for a UK base and development program, but what's the Philadelphia angle? 

Why there and not any of the other northeastern cities that have been mentioned? 

Does he have business links there, or is there a stadium option similar to Lamport?