Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

David Argyle to relocate Skolars to USA

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The Skolars bit would add up for a UK base and development program, but what's the Philadelphia angle? 

Why there and not any of the other northeastern cities that have been mentioned? 

Does he have business links there, or is there a stadium option similar to Lamport? 

If they’d said Boston would you have said exactly the same things? What’s the Boston angle? Why there and not any of the other northeastern cities that have been mentioned?

Surely if he's up for a challenge then he could buy Skolars and do his best to turn them in the dominant London Rugby League club and get them to Super League with a healthy following.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Surely if he's up for a challenge then he could buy Skolars and do his best to turn them in the dominant London Rugby League club and get them to Super League with a healthy following.

If he wanted to do that wouldn’t he be better off buying the Broncos?

It would be a sad day for Rugby League in London if this were true. The work Skolars have put in, in the community over the years has been superb and to give it all up to pack it up to America would be a bad move. 

They’d be better off targeting a dead club who are simply existing, not living than a club who have a presence in the City of London, do such vast community work and have links and roots within its community. 

Edited by Oliver Clothesoff
  • Like 2

Every person who wishes to become a Member shall deliver to the Company an application for Member in such form as the Directors require executed by him. Any application for Member shall be made to the Chairman and shall be assessed against such criteria as the Council may specify from time to time. Membership is not transferable and shall cease on dissolution.

The Board shall have the right to expel any Member from membership of the Company for good and sufficient reason, by notice in writing sent by prepaid post to a Member's address, to request that Member to withdraw from membership of the Company within a time specified in such notice. No such notice shall be sent except on a vote of the majority of the directors present and voting, which majority shall include one half of the total number of the Board for the time being.

4.3 Where any person Acquires a Member or there is a Change of Control of a Member or a Member (or any entity which in the Company’s reasonable opinion is connected or associated with the Member in such a way that it is seen as being part of the Member) is subject to an Insolvency Event, the Member shall immediately notify the Board and the Board shall have the right (but not the obligation) to terminate that Member’s membership of the Company by notifying the Member concerned in writing of such termination.
4.4 The Board is under no obligation to serve notice within any time limit upon being notified of an Acquisition or Change of Control and may delay in serving notice and take steps to assist the Member at its absolute discretion, but such delay or assistance will not preclude its right to serve a notice of withdrawal of membership at any point in the future.

Not sure that moving the Skolars to NA would be that straight forward, see bold bits. Section 4.4 also says that there is no time limit on the board to decide if an acquired member will be required to withdraw.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

If they’d said Boston would you have said exactly the same things? What’s the Boston angle? Why there and not any of the other northeastern cities that have been mentioned?

If they'd said Hamilton or Montreal then there's an obvious Canadian link. New York is, well, New York. 

I suppose I would ask the same question for Boston. That's not a criticism mind you, just a genuine question why Philly, as opposed to any of the others, cos I'm interested! That's all. 

I mentioned the stadium thing because I've long been of the view that one of the big reason Toronto worked was because it had a cheap, downtown stadium easily reached by the target demographic. If TWP is the model of how you do it, then this is a key part of the jigsaw, and very hard to come by. Such a stadium doesn't exist in NY, which is why Red Bull Park was mentioned. That would have been an expensive flop. 

I don't know Philly that well so I'd be interested if there's a possible venue like Lamport. 

But then we're probably getting ahead of ourselves here... 

Almost certainly untrue. The buying Skolars bit might be right but I reckon the rest is a conclusion jumped to. Toronto wants a feeder team that can give fringe players a run and we’ve already seen this with a couple of dual-reg players. The only bit that doesn’t add up is the squad’s links with Manchester uni. I don’t know why they’d want to be based there if they are linking with Skolars.

• Like 2

The investment in the Skolars makes sense for providing a base for both clubs - including Toronto early season games etc.

The Philadelphia thing feels a bit Rocky 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, East Coast Tiger said:

Almost certainly untrue. The buying Skolars bit might be right but I reckon the rest is a conclusion jumped to. Toronto wants a feeder team that can give fringe players a run and we’ve already seen this with a couple of dual-reg players. The only bit that doesn’t add up is the squad’s links with Manchester uni. I don’t know why they’d want to be based there if they are linking with Skolars.

Facilities and cost I imagine. They can just send players down by train to train and play with Skolars. 

I hope you’re right though. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

If he wanted to do that wouldn’t he be better off buying the Broncos?

Not really. If anything Skolars have the stronger infrastructure with their stake in New River. Broncos rent pretty much everything, and the committed fan base is so small it's not going to make a difference either way. Basically a London franchise has to go all in with huge money and target 7,000 crowds minimum, or its not worth doing. Broncos would give you a start 1 division higher but that's not really a big deal in the bigger picture. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

It wont happen.

The thing to do is for David Argyle with his wealth if there is any truth in this story is to set up junior teams in London and tap into the vast talent of young athletic people in the capital.

4 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

They cannot play at Manchester Uni though and need control over which players play where and when I suppose. They might have also had the cold shoulder from other clubs in the region or want to think more London-centrist for corporate links etc.. 

• Like 1

Toronto also have a link with Keighley dont they or have i dreamt that ?

Argyle has made all the right decisions so far so whatever his reasons are for doing this it will definitely be for the long term good of the sport.

We need more Argyles

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They cannot play at Manchester Uni though and need control over which players play where and when I suppose. They might have also had the cold shoulder from other clubs in the region or want to think more London-centrist for corporate links etc.. 

Doesn’t make much sense to be based in Manchester and have your feeder team in London. Might as well have the whole squad down there.

28 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The Philadelphia thing feels a bit Rocky 

I get it though, there is a sense of humour deficit on TRL these days....and they don't get the punchline.

The Skolars most regular poster / publicist on here has not commented on this thread  - so  wha's going on IM2 ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Doesn’t make much sense to be based in Manchester and have your feeder team in London. Might as well have the whole squad down there.

They’d probably then have to think about further relocation costs and signing players would get harder as you’d drag them away from the north. 

Having a feeder side in London isn’t a major problem. It’s two hours (roughly) by train from Manchester. 

3 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Heard about this a few months ago and then it seemed to go quiet, I understood it wasn’t about relocation but more about a U.K. base for development.

Just had a scan back through old threads .... knew I’d referenced it somewhere when I was told about it 😂😂 

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/327360-23-24-jun-the-betfred-league-1-match-thread/&page=2

51439D76-43B4-4113-9847-C0876AEDD311.png  

Edited by Odsal Outlaw

The TWP link up has been rumoured for a while, the Philly angle is bizarre. The youth talent in the South East is the magnet. Will Skolars be a feeder side, unlikely that the committed Skolars have just given up. Interesting times, it has been clear for some time that without significant investment the Skolars couldn't kick on. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

25% of the Skolars would make him an 'Influential Person' at the club and since you can't be one of those at more than one club he must be giving up on TWP then.......

Indeed, as per the "Operational Rules".

23 minutes ago, TBone said:

Indeed, as per the "Operational Rules".

Could this be one of the rules SL is looming to change?

Whilst not ideal is the game really in the  position to be turning down money?

Just now, JM2010 said:

How much is Argyle worth?

Billionaire.