Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

David Argyle to relocate Skolars to USA

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Could this be one of the rules SL is looming to change?

Whilst not ideal is the game really in the  position to be turning down money?

As it stands the rules state that you cannot be an Influential Person in more than one club which would certainly stop Argyle taking a 25% (or more) stake in Skolars. So, maybe. However, it is also the rule that stopped Marwen K taking over Bradford Bulls as well as Salford.

If they do change the rule it'll be so that it prohibits being an IP at 2 clubs in the same division??

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

He must be the richest club owner in the game then

Thats a main part of the reason that so many people are against the Wolfpack; jealously.

Argyle is a real down to earth guy and friendly too.  I think they should put him in charge of the entire League for a few years to clean things up and then the future would be very bright indeed.  He has vision.

• Like 6

TWP had Ngawati and the usa winger (name blank) at Skolars in loan. Plus they’v Played home games there. It’s no great surprise Argyle/TWP want a share. 

Especially when they need to play their home games in Feb somewhere else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People, unless they change the RFL "Operational Rules" Argyle CANNOT hold 25% or more of Skolars and TWP at the same time.

22 minutes ago, TBone said:

People, unless they change the RFL "Operational Rules" Argyle CANNOT hold 25% or more of Skolars and TWP at the same time.

Well if thats the case then 51% it is then.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Well if thats the case then 51% it is then.

Hmmm... 51% is less than 25%? Or maybe I wasn't clear... he cannot hold 25% or MORE of TWP and 25% or MORE of Skolars at the same time.

3 minutes ago, TBone said:

Hmmm... 51% is less than 25%? Or maybe I wasn't clear... he cannot hold 25% or MORE of TWP and 25% or MORE of Skolars at the same time.

But his daughter can right....?

That'd depend on the RFL, I can't remember clearly but I think there was some reason around this area that precluded Mrs Koukash from owning the Bradford Bulls. Of course it may be that when she looked at it she thought it was ###### deal.

4 minutes ago, TBone said:

That'd depend on the RFL, I can't remember clearly but I think there was some reason around this area that precluded Mrs Koukash from owning the Bradford Bulls. Of course it may be that when she looked at it she thought it was ###### deal.

Then just set up a shell company...come on TBone you know how these shady accountants and tax lawyers work and how they operate....anything is possible for them to set up and get behind as long as there is a buck in it for them....just look at the Panama Papers.

Have cash will travel.

Its not me that has to be satisfied it is the RFL (and maybe the people that they represent, namely all the club members)

As I suggested elsewhere, why doesn't he buy an entire league and take that to the US and Canada? Maybe take all the championship clubs or all the League 1 clubs. That way you've got a whole new ready made league to start in the US and Canada. There's 14 teams in league 1, so you can put them in 14 cities throughout the US and Canada. I can't see a problem, except that you'd have to persuade the players from these teams to go and play and live in north America. How much would it cost for him to buy all the League 1 clubs? I think it would be a worthy investment and he'd surely get his money back once the new league took off.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Thats a main part of the reason that so many people are against the Wolfpack; jealously.

Argyle is a real down to earth guy and friendly too.  I think they should put him in charge of the entire League for a few years to clean things up and then the future would be very bright indeed.  He has vision.

To be fair, he hasn’t got much opposition, Hearns included.

Thats Barry & Son, by the way, not Tommy.

3 hours ago, dealwithit said:

TWP had Ngawati and the usa winger (name blank) at Skolars in loan. Plus they’v Played home games there. It’s no great surprise Argyle/TWP want a share. 

Especially when they need to play their home games in Feb somewhere else. 

Ryan Burroughs. 

Also, there’s no way Skolars’ ground could host a Super League game, should they be promoted. 

12 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Ryan Burroughs. 

Also, there’s no way Skolars’ ground could host a Super League game, should they be promoted. 

but it is on White Hart Lane... :ninja: 

In all seriousness I suppose this could be a new dawn for Skolars if it works. Could be RLs 'Saracens' for those that know the clubs ground. Obviously starting on a smaller scale. Indeed there's a lot of similarity.

7 hours ago, Abicus said:

Slight thread hijack - what was said about the World Club Challenge in League Weekly?

Not much, apart from it's "in doubt". Apparently no-ones discussed it yet. Probably depends on who wins the NRL GF, but it is only September, so plenty of time to arrange it....

Back on the Toronto/Skolars thing, the actual article is full of coulds, understandings, maybes and an "it is believed". The only thing that the article appears certain about is Argyle's 25% stake in the Skolars - the rest appears to be speculation.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

As I suggested elsewhere, why doesn't he buy an entire league and take that to the US and Canada? Maybe take all the championship clubs or all the League 1 clubs. That way you've got a whole new ready made league to start in the US and Canada. There's 14 teams in league 1, so you can put them in 14 cities throughout the US and Canada. I can't see a problem, except that you'd have to persuade the players from these teams to go and play and live in north America. How much would it cost for him to buy all the League 1 clubs? I think it would be a worthy investment and he'd surely get his money back once the new league took off.

Ooh,do we get to pick which city? If that's the case then "come on you leigh Angeles Raiders "!

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

He must be the richest club owner in the game then

I would happily be a pound behind him.

Is this report not just a follow up to the earlier report,in May,which ended with a statement from the London club - and a financial input has been made - and nothing more?

http://www.skolarsrl.com/2018/05/14/skolars-issue-official-statement/

6 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Ooh,do we get to pick which city? If that's the case then "come on you leigh Angeles Raiders "!

Leeds Pelicans like in the NBA...the great white Pelicans of Leeds and Man should you watch that crowd chow down on fish and chips.  Takes about 1 second per serving!

13 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Oakland Raiders 😁 1 up the NFL!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Leeds Pelicans like in the NBA...the great white Pelicans of Leeds and Man should you watch that crowd chow down on fish and chips.  Takes about 1 second per serving!

What’s with the sudden fish and chips obsession Kman?

29 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Jesus this is sounding more and more like the opening to baseketball 

https://youtube.com/ivzrbp_WR8w

Edited by TboneFromTO

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The Wolfpack owner has agreed to buy 25% of London Skolars with a view to taking full ownership and moving it to Philadelphia, according to League Weekly.

Boston also a possibility for Skolars or maybe another to-be relocated club.

Fascinating story. And rather controversial.

I am all for expansion but this...…………………. no, no and no again

• Like 1