Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

David Argyle to relocate Skolars to USA

3 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

As I suggested elsewhere, why doesn't he buy an entire league and take that to the US and Canada? Maybe take all the championship clubs or all the League 1 clubs. That way you've got a whole new ready made league to start in the US and Canada. There's 14 teams in league 1, so you can put them in 14 cities throughout the US and Canada. I can't see a problem, except that you'd have to persuade the players from these teams to go and play and live in north America. How much would it cost for him to buy all the League 1 clubs? I think it would be a worthy investment and he'd surely get his money back once the new league took off.

Only a small problem then, convincing 25 players x 14 clubs to leave their full time jobs and families to go play part time rugby league at the other side of the world... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Ryan Burroughs. 

Also, there’s no way Skolars’ ground could host a Super League game, should they be promoted. 

He might rent a league's soccer clubs ground for a one off, or perhaps even buy a majority holding in a soccer club. Leyton Orient want some more funding and Charlton's owners would sell for a half decent offer.

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

He might rent a league's soccer clubs ground for a one off, or perhaps even buy a majority holding in a soccer club. Leyton Orient want some more funding and Charlton's owners would sell for a half decent offer.

Leyton Orient are owned by a rich fan of there’s so I doubt he’d sell right now and Charlton have an Australian consortium lined up apparently. 

If Toronto wanted to play at Skolars in Super League they could always put up a temporary stand for a day, a bit like Headingley has now. 

There's no way skolars owners are going to just let someone buy the club theyve spent years developing to just move it abroad.  There's got to be much more to it than that and im sure it will be a positive for all concerned 

Edited by Tre Cool

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Ryan Burroughs. 

Also, there’s no way Skolars’ ground could host a Super League game, should they be promoted. 

A few crush barriers and some covers like Wakefield did and its more that adequate for the sl

10 minutes ago, jpmc said:

A few crush barriers and some covers like Wakefield did and its more that adequate for the sl

Plus some clip art ‘new stadium’ sketches.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

There's no way skolars owners are going to just let someone buy the club theyve spent years developing to just move it abroad.  There's got to be much more to it than that and im sure it will be a positive for all concerned 

It could be that Mr Argyle has been made aware that in a city the size of London there is a vast untapped pool of talented athletes who could play Rugby League at the highest level given the opportunity, as there is in Toronto.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Only a small problem then, convincing 25 players x 14 clubs to leave their full time jobs and families to go play part time rugby league at the other side of the world... 

Oh, I thought they WERE full time. Ok, what about the Championship then? Are they full time pro's that I can forcefully relocate? They're my last hope, because I can't move Superleague clubs. It's either Championship clubs or accepting that my idea is a bad one.

Well would be nice if the fans were given some info, even if it’s to be told it’s rubbish. I know Hector has been looking for a cash injection so we can be more competitive player wise and TWP used New River for their Halifax match this season so maybe there’s some connection between the clubs but the LE story seems crazy. Is this anticipating the demise of L1? I don’t know whether to laugh or cry sometimes! 

Edited by EssexRL

Just caught up on Tweets, this is what Skolars owner says in response to the story-

“Lol. Only happen if london was moving too!”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Just caught up on Tweets, this is what Skolars owner says in response to the story-

“Lol. Only happen if london was moving too!”

There was that time that someone sold "London Bridge" to a rich guy in Arizona, who thought he was buying Tower Bridge. 

Maybe someone's stitched Argyle up big time!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

There was that time that someone sold "London Bridge" to a rich guy in Arizona, who thought he was buying Tower Bridge. 

Maybe someone's stitched Argyle up big time!

You don't become a self made billionaire by being stitched up.

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

You don't become a self made billionaire by being stitched up.

Argyle will treat the players, fans and management of the Skolars with the utmost respect...the same as he has in Toronto.  This is the best news that the Skolars could ever have hoped for.  I predict the club will stay in London and thrive...onwards and upwards for the Skolars....a fat juicy plum has just fallen in their laps...if only other clubs could be so lucky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally think that there will be a LOT of objections to any hint of moving lock stock and barrel to anywhere, all the graft that has gone into Skolars and literally stealing it and the ethos/players will likely kill off the club and the goodwill, it'll be Fulham/Broncos/Barnet/Brentford/Harlequins etc all over again, any chance of developing further in London which in the grand scheme of things and impact on the sport is much more important in the next 10 years than Oxford or Gloucester.

Yes it's great that he has plans but he, Skolars and indeed the RFL have to be really, really careful as to how things move forward.

4 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Personally think that there will be a LOT of objections to any hint of moving lock stock and barrel to anywhere, all the graft that has gone into Skolars and literally stealing it and the ethos/players will likely kill off the club and the goodwill, it'll be Fulham/Broncos/Barnet/Brentford/Harlequins etc all over again, any chance of developing further in London which in the grand scheme of things and impact on the sport is much more important in the next 10 years than Oxford or Gloucester.

Yes it's great that he has plans but he, Skolars and indeed the RFL have to be really, really careful as to how things move forward.

They got the right man on the job!....good future ahead for Skolars.  Their season ticket holders should be overjoyed to have Argyle on board, my advice is to welcome him with open arms, this changes everything for that club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Argyle is getting on board and they stay in London, this can only be good for the Skolars. Imagine if there was an investment similar to Hughes at the Broncos, yet the security and trust that they aren't going to move grounds every few years. 

There's been a lot of negative talk about RFL development in London recently, especially development officer-wise. This could be the investment the area needs. 

... But if the plan really is to buy them and up sticks, it is ridiculous! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

They got the right man on the job!....good future ahead for Skolars.  Their season ticket holders should be overjoyed to have Argyle on board, my advice is to welcome him with open arms, this changes everything for that club.

Any extra injection of funds into the club would be welcome and I can see the logic of Skolars as a possible new London brand, particularly given how well it’s run, it’s community teams and engagement (eg Barnet college) and the massive potential of north and east London crowd-wise but obviously the concern is the mooted relocation. Currently I get a 444 bus to matches, I don’t fancy a transatlantic trip for a home game. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If Argyle is getting on board and they stay in London, this can only be good for the Skolars. Imagine if there was an investment similar to Hughes at the Broncos, yet the security and trust that they aren't going to move grounds every few years. 

There's been a lot of negative talk about RFL development in London recently, especially development officer-wise. This could be the investment the area needs. 

... But if the plan really is to buy them and up sticks, it is ridiculous! 

This, investment in to Skolars putting them on a more level playing field with Broncos and both in the hunt for Super League could create a great little professional rivalry which would be good for both clubs.

I can't really see why he would target Skolars in particular if the plan was to relocate to North America, I'd hope his plan is to invest in Skolars to create a strong London club and journalist controversy-mongering has taken over from there.

Edited by jim_57
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, owls said:

I am all for expansion but this...…………………. no, no and no again

Expansion of the game isn't relocating the same player pool to different places. take players and clubs over there and it's simply moving the deckchairs a further distance apart and the biggest problem Argyle has is the distance. Elstone after his visit to Toronto said this........

8 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Personally think that there will be a LOT of objections to any hint of moving lock stock and barrel to anywhere, all the graft that has gone into Skolars and literally stealing it and the ethos/players will likely kill off the club and the goodwill

It would help if people remember in january on behalf of Superleague, Ralph Rimmer formally announced in Public TWP were a guest club and therefore can "win" promotion but can be denied entry to Superleague as they are only guests.

It looks like they will get the MPG at home - a massive advantage, and with the second  massive advantage of Argyles superior spend on the team, it's likely they will be in the frame to be promoted subject to Superleague approval.

He knows however that his CEO Perez promised to bring real expansion to North America with more clubs, a big TV contract, and a widening of the player pool through grid iron converts. Something every TWP fan deliberately forgets and pretends the TWP crowds are the real success.

When Rimmer delivered the warning about possibly being denied promotion TWP were in shock, and on behalf of Argyle Rowley replied in public about what TWP could offer the game in terms of money and players.

Money - Rowley said that in return for promotion TWP were prepared to allow the other SL clubs to keep TWP's £1.8M annual share of the SKY TV contract, share it between themselves and TWP would self-fund. This came up on back chat last week with the panel waxing lyrical about a 14 club SL with new entrants from overseas self-funding, Money isn't a problem Argyle has the ability to actually pay an "entrance fee" of many £Millions (But I doubt the SL clubs would take such a bribe).

Players - The grid iron player conversion plan was dropped as soon as TWP got entry, so they tick no boxes there and never will now there are no more North American clubs (so this is where "Philadephia" comes in, this is where Wilby suddenly talking about New York again comes in - they are back to talking about it to give an impression expansion lives!!! (Note the Skolars chairman says it won't happen so it's a cheap stunt).

The interference in Manchester ARL, the use of two players that won't play for TWP again (Burroughs and Ngwati) sent to play for London Skolars, were efforts by Argyle to be able to claim he is developing home grown players. Now he is pitching for a stake in Skolars, that money will suit their chairman for what it can bring to Skolars, and it appears he already gives the game away as regards his tweet about not moving to  "Philadelphia". 

Your bottom line Gentlemen and Ladies is now TWP look red hot favourites to gain the right to be considered for  promotion, it's time to add to the idea that TWP will bring extra money to the Superleague clubs to share, that they will also add  extra players to the Superleague player pool via junior ARL in London. It's not that much money, and as wonderful as Skolars junior set up is their record of producing professional players is understandably not that good compared to top M62 amateur clubs

But winning promotion with the massive help of jetlagged opposition and an SL level salary cap is not actually the test they have to pass. The test Toulouse were set for entry to SL is still the test for TWP.

To  bring the game more money for the clubs to share, and bring the game more quality players.  The former promised in January the latter promised now Argyle can see the finishing line.

Edited by The Parksider
  • Haha 1

All of this sounds well and good but it ignores that letting Argyle have 25% (either directly or via an intermediary) or more of another club to use essentially as a feeder club requires changes to the RFL Operational Rules. If the ‘Influential Person’ rules are changed it could have a monumental impact on ALL of the clubs outside SL.

What would be th impact if, say, Caddick/Leeds took on Featherstone to use as their feeder club, run entirely for the benefit of the Rhinos? Or Wigan/Lenigan decided to use Leigh as their feeder club?

Edited by TBone
Arggh

6 minutes ago, TBone said:

All of this sounds well and good but it ignores that letting Argyle have 25% (either directly or via an intermediary) or more of another club to use essentially as a feeder club requires changes to the RFL Operational Rules. If the ‘Influential Person’ rules are changed it could have a monumental impact on ALL of the clubs outside SL.

What would be th impact if, say, Caddick/Leeds took on Featherstone to use as their feeder club, run entirely for the benefit of the Rhinos? Or Wigan/Lenigan decided to use Leigh as their feeder club?

I would say TWP will be the feeder club to the Skolars.

If I was a London Skolars follower I would question why the possible 2 cash injections have been leaked to a) Bradford Bulls owner and b) Rugby League journalist(s).These refer to the statements about cash from both Wigan Warriors owner,and Toronto Wolfpack owner.

What has been the motive,of leaking the stories,if both 'stories' have been denied? 

Quite an irresponsible story this that has triggered alot of people into comment, particularly about the 'evils' of expansion. Seems even Rugby League publications are not above producing click bait articles....

55 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If I was a London Skolars follower I would question why the possible 2 cash injections have been leaked to a) Bradford Bulls owner and b) Rugby League journalist(s).These refer to the statements about cash from both Wigan Warriors owner,and Toronto Wolfpack owner.

What has been the motive,of leaking the stories,if both 'stories' have been denied? 

Have they been denied? We’ve known Skolars owner has been looking for partners to help us develop. We have a long standing link with Wigan through the City game. I think the only thing that has been denied is the idea of moving London. I can see why any business person would want to break into London. The potential is huge. Obviously cannot do this via Broncos so Skolars as an established club in a large catchment area is an obvious choice. 

We need resources to compete with heartland clubs player and facility wise and to market the game in the capital. Against Coventry we had just 163 paying spectators, this partly reflects our poor performance for most of the season but also the challenge spectator wise (for the record - and I am not picking on Coventry - Oldham got 377 people at their home game a couple of weeks ago and they’re having a good season!)