Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

David Argyle to relocate Skolars to USA

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Get the RFLto help build a 10k stadium at New River and build a head office for RFL and a small Leagues Club 

This was actually proposed some years back I think. Can't recall all details but it never happened. Sure someone else on here with a greater knowledge on the subject would be able to embellish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

This was actually proposed some years back I think. Can't recall all details but it never happened. Sure someone else on here with a greater knowledge on the subject would be able to embellish.

Sure skolars were offered or had registered interest in taking on one of the 2012 Olympic legacy sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way my idea would work is, if Skolars/RFL team up with the likes of Canterbury or Penrith Leagues Club (2 massive league's clubs which have massive amount of money) and help build the idea. In the trade off a percentage of the league's club (25%) would be owned by the Leagues Club and all players and juniors come under the clubs district. So if they find a player with potential they could go off and play in the NRL. But in return a proper league stadium in London would be built and players in the area have a chance to go pro.  The stadium could be both used by Broncos and Skolars just like how Roma and Lazio share their stadium. Pipe dream I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

The only way my idea would work is, if Skolars/RFL team up with the likes of Canterbury or Penrith Leagues Club (2 massive league's clubs which have massive amount of money) and help build the idea. In the trade off a percentage of the league's club (25%) would be owned by the Leagues Club and all players and juniors come under the clubs district. So if they find a player with potential they could go off and play in the NRL. But in return a proper league stadium in London would be built and players in the area have a chance to go pro.  The stadium could be both used by Broncos and Skolars just like how Roma and Lazio share their stadium. Pipe dream I know.

London’s big enough for at least two clubs. One of the problems with Broncos is they’ve never stayed anywhere long enough to establish a local identity. Skolars have been in Haringey for over 20 years and have roots in the area like their junior teams, coverage in the local press and even support from the local MPs. Broncos should be our West London RL team and Skolars our east....that leads plenty of room for others too! One of our biggest gates is the preseason friendly against Broncos. 

By way, nice to have a discussion about expansion that’s positive and to have the light shone on Skolars and the progress the clubs has made (performance on the field this year aside). 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it did happen it'd be a kick in the teeth for those people who do turn up week in week out to watch their team. A bit naff really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 8:37 PM, The Future is League said:

It could be that Mr Argyle has been made aware that in a city the size of London there is a vast untapped pool of talented athletes who could play Rugby League at the highest level given the opportunity, as there is in Toronto.

Not just Toronto but in all of Canada and North America, there are thousands of rejected American Football players, big, fleet of foot, superb athletes ready made for the transition to our game that will be lining up "who could play Rugby League at the highest level given the opportunity" said Mr Perez, OK, so they were given the opportunity in all the auditions and trials that took place in various venues, lauded with such esteem on these pages, where are these player's?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not just Toronto but in all of Canada and North America, there are thousands of rejected American Football players, big, fleet of foot, superb athletes ready made for the transition to our game that will be lining up "who could play Rugby League at the highest level given the opportunity" said Mr Perez, OK, so they were given the opportunity in all the auditions and trials that took place in various venues, lauded with such esteem on these pages, where are these player's?

They had one set of trials 2ish years ago

I suspect (hope really) that there will be more in the future.   After super league promotion of course.  I think there might be a salary issue also, as RFL salaries don't come close to NFL salaries...some education will be needed.

I also think the RFL should find a "last chance u" style documentary to boost the profile of the game. Something gritty, real.

Edited by TboneFromTO
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EssexRL said:

London’s big enough for at least two clubs. One of the problems with Broncos is they’ve never stayed anywhere long enough to establish a local identity. Skolars have been in Haringey for over 20 years and have roots in the area like their junior teams, coverage in the local press and even support from the local MPs. Broncos should be our West London RL team and Skolars our east....that leads plenty of room for others too! One of our biggest gates is the preseason friendly against Broncos. 

By way, nice to have a discussion about expansion that’s positive and to have the light shone on Skolars and the progress the clubs has made (performance on the field this year aside). 

Aren't Skolars based on the North of London? 

London is huge. North, East, South, West are surely achievable at some level in the pyramid. They don't all need to reach Super League. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Aren't Skolars based on the North of London? 

London is huge. North, East, South, West are surely achievable at some level in the pyramid. They don't all need to reach Super League. 

Strictly North East but yes lots of scope. I really think proper east London is ripe for a local RL team (we do have Newham Dockers)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why this just occurred to me.  But could they use this investment as an opportunity to form a dual registration agreement?  That would make the skolars almost a Toronto farm team...and an opportunity to develop any NA talent over here if needed(if they ever start recruiting over there again!)?

Don't know how any of the dual registration stuff works to be honest

I don't remember it being discussed yet (although feel free to smite me if it has)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

I don't know why this just occurred to me.  But could they use this investment as an opportunity to form a dual registration agreement?  That would make the skolars almost a Toronto farm team...and an opportunity to develop any NA talent over here if needed(if they ever start recruiting over there again!)?

Don't know how any of the dual registration stuff works to be honest

I don't remember it being discussed yet (although feel free to smite me if it has)

I’m sure it has been discussed on here. This is effectively what I think is going to happen. Argyle to pump some much needed money into Skolars and some of Wolfpack’s younger/fringe players will get game time in London. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m sure it has been discussed on here. This is effectively what I think is going to happen. Argyle to pump some much needed money into Skolars and some of Wolfpack’s younger/fringe players will get game time in London. 

Kindest smiting I could have asked for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

If it did happen it'd be a kick in the teeth for those people who do turn up week in week out to watch their team. A bit naff really.

Rest assured they’ll both be able to console each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here