Sign in to follow this  
Manxmanc

New York team & tests still in the pipeline

I understand that Rick Wilby has been talking about tests in New York still being on the table and also the bid for a team in New York. 

It appears that they ran out of time for this year with the tests, but plans are still being drawn up for 2019; notably, it is claimed there is communication with the NRL.

Details are to be revealed in the next USARL podcast, whenever that might be.

I can't remember the source, but MoK's post about a new USA team reminded me of this article from a few days ago.

34 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I understand that Rick Wilby has been talking about tests in New York still being on the table and also the bid for a team in New York. 

It appears that they ran out of time for this year with the tests, but plans are still being drawn up for 2019; notably, it is claimed there is communication with the NRL.

I can't remember the source, but MoK's post about a new USA team reminded me of this article from a few days ago.

If there is a team in NY the game against the new franchise in Philly could be WAR!

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

If there is a team in NY the game against the new franchise in Philly could be WAR!

What would that be good for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Off course Mr Wilby will want to keep himself in the limelight, it would not be a good career move to go underground, whatever his next move happens to be.

There was a very good article a few months ago from an Aussie journalist who quite elegantly explained why a Pro Rugby League club in New York had as much chance of life as Monty Python's Parrot.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/opinion/matthew-hall-why-new-york-rugby-league-team-is-doomed-to-fail-with-or-without-jarryd-hayne/news-story/35cff4ed9ea21807e3d30c8d30c85b78&ved=2ahUKEwjy85699q_dAhVOQcAKHWIrBAoQFjAEegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3IbxFjDrhWXU4yAl5EMKB-

Edited by Harry Stottle

49 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

aren't London Skolars moving to NY?

Nope, they are moving to PNG and David Argyle will unveil a newly refurbished and 'blacked up' Eric Perez as CEO.

Edited by Monkey Lover
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Say it again for Manx RL's benefit.

The next thing you know Manx RL will tell me that eating beef is murder.  MOOOOOO!

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The next thing you know Manx RL will tell me that eating beef is murder.  MOOOOOO!

Cows! What are they good for? Bloody lovely burgers! Huh! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I’ll leave that to Morrissey and the boys from Salford 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

aren't London Skolars moving to NY?

Philly is in the state of Pennsylvania, not new York! 

12 hours ago, Copa said:

It’s a very long pipeline.

that's what she said!!!

If a test is to be played in the USA the countries involved will want money up front after the debacle in Denver. If a team From New York wants the enter the British competition the RFL would surely want financial guarantee's, or money up front as regards teams travelling expenses and accommodation.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Ricky Wilby is a former PE teacher from Huddersfield. It doesn't sound like he is best suited to lead the New York expansion

Of course he isn't.  He stupidly thought that staging a match of a sport which New Yorkers know nothing about between two teams from places which they have never even heard of could be a success in the Big Apple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Ricky Wilby is a former PE teacher from Huddersfield. It doesn't sound like he is best suited to lead the New York expansion

Lyndon B Johnson was a teacher. He managed a few things more difficult than running a New York RL side

57 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Lyndon B Johnson was a teacher. He managed a few things more difficult than running a New York RL side

Haha false equivalence! Ultimately he was an American who became president. Wilby is not an American who is trying to start a rugby league team in arguably the toughest market in arguably the toughest city to do so 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

But so was Benito Mussolini he didnt do too well with expansionism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Haha false equivalence! Ultimately he was an American who became president. Wilby is not an American who is trying to start a rugby league team in arguably the toughest market in arguably the toughest city to do so 

Why is NY the toughest market in the toughest city?

Its a huge, rich city, with a lot of expats and young people.

People seem to labour under this weird impression that to be successful we need to 'break' New York. like we are going up against the Giants, the Jets, The knicks and the Yankees. We arent. We arent trying to take over.

NY is probably amongst the easiest cities to expand in to. Its far easier to try and get your hands a negligibly small piece of something massive than a chunk of something small.