Championship and League 1 Awards Shortlist

Cumberland Sausage

3 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Great for the club, Jamie unlucky not to be there also, Kear a joke given budget and full timers etc.

Good luck to Leon and Penky

Great kudos for Leon , him and Ford were certainties . I think Penky is fair enough , his contributions have often been defining and match winning when they’ve came 

Good luck to both Leon and Penky....I think Ford and either Cockayne/Robinson will win the awards.

I agree with most on here, that Kear should not have been nominated in my view - however with 2 weeks/playoffs to come, could they not have waited until the end of the season - for example what if Doncaster gained promotion over Bradford - would Richard Horne not have deserved coach of the year? Just a thought

Don't both York and Bradford have a number of FT players? Gives a coach an advantage I would have thought. Also would prefer player of the year not to go to ex superleague players! Penky's been great but Elliot or JD for me.

Kear only deserves one award "Miserable Tossa of the Year" !

9 minutes ago, Oneday said:

Don't both York and Bradford have a number of FT players? Gives a coach an advantage I would have thought. Also would prefer player of the year not to go to ex superleague players! Penky's been great but Elliot or JD for me.

Kear only deserves one award "Miserable Tossa of the Year" !

York have no F.T. players, we have D/R players like most league one clubs.

33 minutes ago, RayH said:

Kear and pryce haven’t done enough for me with the players they have.

I imagine Ford is going to win.

I'm not so sure tbh. 

If it's based on this year then you could say Leon has done a great job on the playing side in his first year as a coach. 

We were 8th in 2017 and should be in play offs this year. Progress no doubt. 

York are a project 2 years in, James Ford has also done a great job, play offs last year but has had a year to embed his culture and also has some pretty tasty ex SL players at his disposal. 

I would expect York City Knights would have been pretty disappointed if they had not been 1st or 2nd this year. 

York aim was promotion

Town aim was playoffs

Both are very close to achieving those aims so I think it's a very close call. 

Both would be worthy winners. 

49 minutes ago, RayH said:

Kear and pryce haven’t done enough for me with the players they have.

I imagine Ford is going to win.

Maybe a fair comment in relation to Kear, but Pryce? 

After the failed experiment of foster and tansey and the injury to Caine Barnes Leon has gone with a squad of 20 supplemented by some youngsters on dr. Of those 20, 17 are born and bred Cumbrians and Carl Forber who is an adopted Cumbrian. Of those Oliver Wilkes has played at the top level. Supplement that with the old heads of Penky and Fui Fui and you have 3 players who have played at the top but are in the twilight of their careers. So hardly a star studded squad that everybody thought would walk the league, but a good squad that has shown when their heads are right are a match for anyone. 

For a first year coaching in a league that has seen its most competitive season  I think Leon has done a great job and but for some brain explosions in vital games could easily have been up there seeking outright promotion. He deserves the nomination and should rightly be proud of it whether he wins or not. 

22 hours ago, spanishknight said:

York have no F.T. players, we have D/R players like most league one clubs.

Apologies then, I'm sure I heard it said on Rugby AM or some media coverage.

I think Leon has done a great job. I can't see why folk don't think he deserves the nomination. 

We've done better this season than in the past, Leon has brought players in, good and bad but at least he's got shot of the bad. How was he to know some were gonna be useless ! And more importantly in my eyes he's created a buzz around the team and supporters. Something that's been lacking a long time! 

I hope he wins! 

I think he deserves to be nominated but expect the YORK coach to win it.

I think he’s done a great job getting rid of the rubbish particularly how it takes guts to admit you were wrong which is often people’s downfall.

That said he’s also had a far better squad than Clarke had last season so some of the credit for the improvement has to go to the BOD for backing him like they have.

13 hours ago, IanMac said:

Maybe a fair comment in relation to Kear, but Pryce? 

After the failed experiment of foster and tansey and the injury to Caine Barnes Leon has gone with a squad of 20 supplemented by some youngsters on dr. Of those 20, 17 are born and bred Cumbrians and Carl Forber who is an adopted Cumbrian. Of those Oliver Wilkes has played at the top level. Supplement that with the old heads of Penky and Fui Fui and you have 3 players who have played at the top but are in the twilight of their careers. So hardly a star studded squad that everybody thought would walk the league, but a good squad that has shown when their heads are right are a match for anyone. 

For a first year coaching in a league that has seen its most competitive season  I think Leon has done a great job and but for some brain explosions in vital games could easily have been up there seeking outright promotion. He deserves the nomination and should rightly be proud of it whether he wins or not. 

Excellent post and i fully agree that this has been mostly achieved with local based players and a board with ambition but living within its means unlike others in this division.

31 minutes ago, RayH said:

Sorry but comment stood by, ok first year I’ll take that but Workington had some money spent this year, plus 2 DR’s teams to work with and that cracker of a kid on loan from Hudds

Sorry but for me it should of been them and Bradford, running away with it.

fair play to yorkYork

If you are putting our budget and Bradford’s in the same bracket I would really like to know how you arrive at that. I bow down to your greater knowledge of my clubs finances as you obviously are aware of all their monetary dealings.

We have a die hard support but I don’t think you would have got many saying we were going to run away with anything this year. We have utilised dr like most other clubs but really fail to see how we can compare to Bradford in terms of budget and squad strength. 

York have been the standout team in the division and deserve their success, hopefully we can replicate it next year if we are not successful in the play offs.

1 hour ago, RayH said:

Sorry but comment stood by, ok first year I’ll take that but Workington had some money spent this year, plus 2 DR’s teams to work with and that cracker of a kid on loan from Hudds

Sorry but for me it should of been them and Bradford, running away with it.

fair play to yorkYork

We haven't had anywhere near the money Bradford have, and York are probably ahead of us in spend also. Bulls and York have also had as many Dr as us too. 

16 minutes ago, RayH said:

Guys come on, wake up

youve had idiots at beginning of season (Bailey,foster,tansey)

and now have likes of Moi Moi in team.

youve spent a lot of money this year and I’d be concerned if you don’t achieve success this or next season.

only have to take a look next door to see that.

Wide awake pal, guess your idea of loads of money and ours may be different, unless you have crystal ball and know something we dont. Lot of players mentioned were on pay  as play contracts,....(unless of course you know different)

20 minutes ago, RayH said:

Guys come on, wake up

youve spent a lot of money this year and I’d be concerned if you don’t achieve success this or next season.

So how much are we spending, seeing as you obviously have access to our accounts. If you really think we are on a par with Bradford then you have no idea. 

1 minute ago, RayH said:

Off course, Foster 

i belive he ran out of retirement for pay as you play money, couldn’t wait to do the 2/3hour drive down the m6.

We are not on a par with Bradford or York this season or had the SL reinforcements  they’ve had . If you look at our squad it isn’t that strong or deep across the board . If you’d said we’d finish fourth I’d have taken it on day one 

33 minutes ago, RayH said:

Guys come on, wake up

Thanks for your concern it’s very much appreciated. However we are lucky in that we have directors who, unlike Bradford and our friends down the road have vowed to run the club within their means. 

We have achieved the aim of the board this year which was the play offs, whether we achieve better next year we will have to wait and see. No doubt you will already know what we are intending to spend. 

11 minutes ago, RayH said:

Who aims for 4/5/6 place in any sport...

you need to go up or you’ve had no better season than your friends down the road, who by all accounts have hobbled there way into the play offs with essentially one man

Well obviously we have or they’d be level with us.

And they won’t be in the play offs if they fail to beat York.

Archived