Steve Renoufs Test Team

B rad

What do you think? Will it be much different? How strong compared to past test teams now the super star factor is at an all time low (No Slater, Smith, Cronk or Thurston). Is there hope for England, New Zealand and Tonga or will someone step up and it be the same old same old Aussie dominance? Another thing, if they don't pick Felise Kaufusi (I think they will he had a big quarter final for Storm) I wonder if Tonga will get a chance to pick him. Imagine their pack then. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/13/steve-renouf-three-centres-can-give-australian-kangaroos-strikepower/

Steve Renouf's Australia Test team
1. James Tedesco
2. Valentine Holmes
3. Greg Inglis (c)
4. James Roberts
5. Dane Gagai
6. Cameron Munster
7. James Maloney
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Damien Cook
10. David Klemmer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Josh McGuire
14. Latrell Mitchell
15. Jake Trbojevic
16. Josh Papalii
17. Jordan McLean. 

I’d have Mitchell above Jimmy the Jet . Outplayed him in origin and freakish talent. I wouldn’t have Gagai - Trbojevic if fit , then Josh Addo - the Fox . Tariq Sims a cert . Jake Trbojevic at 13 nudging out a struggling de Belin. They have a love in with cordner but I wouldn’t pick him 

Seems Renouf (wonderful player, one of the best ever) has his Brisbane/Queensland head on when picking some of those player. No way Roberts gets in ahead of Mitchell. Gagai may be reliable but he's not one of the best two wingers in Australia.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Mitchell and Jake T would be first picks in my team.Think Ferguson would be a better choice than Gagai & has Klemmer been sighted this season? Maybe move Maguire to prop for all that positions matter nowadays.As mentioned on another thread look at the size and power of that three-quarter line in comparison to some touted for England.

Tedesco

Holmes

Inglis (if he's actually fit) - Gagai if not

Mitchell

Ado Carr

Munster

hmm.... not a clear 7 in the comp, so would have to be Cleary as the winning Origin 7. 

RCG

Cook

Klemmer

Cordner

Frizell

Jake T

Ponga

McLean

Crighton

Pangai / Woods

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

I think Renouf's team looks about right to me, except I'd have Sims over Papali. Mitchell is a better centre than Roberts, but does he ever play on the right? That's my only other real question mark. Other than those two spots, Tom T is also unlucky but Gagai is a high performing incumbent involved in finals, so hard to argue against him. This Aussie team is beatable because the new spine combo has nothing like the game management Cronk, Slater, Smith, Thurston offered, but it's probably the best we can  do for now. The Kiwis could beat them and Tonga may be able to give them a game. This year may have also represented England's best chance, but then again they're missing their three most senior backline players so may have struggled anyway...

The one thing that Australia have always had is strength in depth but this may be changing a little.  Particularly in the forwards.

As of this morning there were 6 teams left in the NRL finals.  I took a look at the starting middle forwards for these teams (props and lock) and out the 18 players only 6 were available for Kangaroo selection:

Matt Prior (Sharks)

Reagan Cambell-Gillard (Panthers)

Trent Merrin (Panthers)

Jack de Belin (Dragons)

Tim Glasby (Storm)

Dale Finuche (Storm)

While these are a decent bunch of players you would have Jesse Bromwich (Storm) or Andrew Fifita (Sharks) ahead of the props or Sam Burgess (Rabbitohs) ahead of the locks... and this is before thinking about Warea-Hargreaves, James Graham, Tom and George Burgess etc.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The one thing that Australia have always had is strength in depth but this may be changing a little.  Particularly in the forwards.

As of this morning there were 6 teams left in the NRL finals.  I took a look at the starting middle forwards for these teams (props and lock) and out the 18 players only 6 were available for Kangaroo selection:

Matt Prior (Sharks)

Reagan Cambell-Gillard (Panthers)

Trent Merrin (Panthers)

Jack de Belin (Dragons)

Tim Glasby (Storm)

Dale Finuche (Storm)

While these are a decent bunch of players you would have Jesse Bromwich (Storm) or Andrew Fifita (Sharks) ahead of the props or Sam Burgess (Rabbitohs) ahead of the locks... and this is before thinking about Warea-Hargreaves, James Graham, Tom and George Burgess etc.

Plenty of players that are not in play offs get selected, they always have.

I would not have Bromwich, Fifita, Hargraves or the Burgess twins anywhere near the Kangaroo squad.

Grahams best games are behind him.

Just my opinion.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

21 minutes ago, Allora said:

Plenty of players that are not in play offs get selected, they always have.

I would not have Bromwich, Fifita, Hargraves or the Burgess twins anywhere near the Kangaroo squad.

Grahams best games are behind him.

Just my opinion.

Which Australian props would you select ahead of Bromwich and Fifita?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Which Australian props would you select ahead of Bromwich and Fifita?

Aaron Woods

Reagan Campbell Gillard (hang on he is Fijian)

Jordan McLean (hang on Jordan is part Maori so could be a Kiwi)

Dylan Napa (hang on he is a Cook Islander)

David Klemmer

Bromwich is nowhere near what he was 3 years ago or since his cocaine issues.

Fifita is an Australian, born in Blacktown NSW and plays hot and cold, for his size and aggression he should be a stand out player every game he plays, often he is conspicuous by his absence.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

8 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think Renouf's team looks about right to me, except I'd have Sims over Papali. Mitchell is a better centre than Roberts, but does he ever play on the right? That's my only other real question mark. Other than those two spots, Tom T is also unlucky but Gagai is a high performing incumbent involved in finals, so hard to argue against him. This Aussie team is beatable because the new spine combo has nothing like the game management Cronk, Slater, Smith, Thurston offered, but it's probably the best we can  do for now. The Kiwis could beat them and Tonga may be able to give them a game. This year may have also represented England's best chance, but then again they're missing their three most senior backline players so may have struggled anyway...

While this OZ team isnt as strong as the super team of the 2013 WC, its still a selection of 17 of the best 50 or so players from the NRL where the overall standards of teams particularly the top 8 this year is sky high. These players face difficult games week in week out. I would still think they beat any other national side 8 times out of 10. 

4 hours ago, Allora said:

Aaron Woods

David Klemmer

Fifita is an Australian, born in Blacktown NSW and plays hot and cold, for his size and aggression he should be a stand out player every game he plays, often he is conspicuous by his absence.

Aaron Woods! If Klemmer has been M.I.A Wood's has the distinction of being the worst buy of the season for 2 clubs in the same season. His running style and hit ups always put me in mind of a Angel fish, and the fish would be more damaging too.

5 hours ago, Allora said:

Aaron Woods

David Klemmer

I think McClean should be a kangaroo cert .

Archived