Rango

New Stadium for Workington

3 minutes ago, THMS said:

I'd prefer the stadium to be on the DP site. Surely it's a bigger space and better parking options? 

Don't like rugby on Astro turf . Needs proper grass. 

Access  to DP is tight 

3 minutes ago, town4me said:

Access  to DP is tight 

Yeah i suppose that's true. 

Edited by THMS
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, THMS said:

I'd prefer the stadium to be on the DP site. Surely it's a bigger space and better parking options? 

Don't like rugby on Astro turf . Needs proper grass. 

I just can't see it being a grass pitch. reds, reds reserves and women's team currently use BP add town to that and that would be 4 teams using one pitch. if what I heard was true new ground it's self will be on Lonsdale/BP park with car parking on BP

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know seriously without any wisecracks about there  being a “load of rubbish been on Derwent Park “ if it used to be an ash tip. An old guy I worked with  said he used to go every Saturday morning with a hand cart full of rubbish when he was an apprentice and he’s in his mid eighties now.

7 hours ago, Old standoff said:

Does anyone know seriously without any wisecracks about there  being a “load of rubbish been on Derwent Park “ if it used to be an ash tip. An old guy I worked with  said he used to go every Saturday morning with a hand cart full of rubbish when he was an apprentice and he’s in his mid eighties now.

Yes it was. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Old standoff said:

BP is built on a old ash tip as well.

13 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

BP is built on a old ash tip as well.

Didn’t know that so I suppose you cuould say there’s been some “ Rubbish seen at both grounds “ then Rockerlad.

I think a new stadium will be great for the town and both reds/town...could lead to more commercial opportunities with conference/function facilities , also the cost of upkeep should be shared by both clubs and it would no doubt easier to maintain a new facility.

I would like to see further sports facilities built along with the stadium, such as a full size 4G pitch for local sports teams to use....like a sports village...I think sports centre missed a trick when putting in the outdoor pitches as they are small and you cannot merge them to make 1 big pitch, perhaps a separate 4G pitch with an athletics track....I know this all costs but I believe it to be worth it....we have hosted some big events at DP recently, imagine the events we could host with a brand new facility.

Finally I hope Allerdale consult the fans about a proposed new stadium

It will be interesting to see what capacity is built, didn't the rfl say group ds need to be around 12000 to qualify for international games? 

Also, I see the usual luddites are whining about it already, such backwards looking idiots in this town. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Limmertime said:

I think a new stadium will be great for the town and both reds/town...could lead to more commercial opportunities with conference/function facilities , also the cost of upkeep should be shared by both clubs and it would no doubt easier to maintain a new facility.

I would like to see further sports facilities built along with the stadium, such as a full size 4G pitch for local sports teams to use....like a sports village...I think sports centre missed a trick when putting in the outdoor pitches as they are small and you cannot merge them to make 1 big pitch, perhaps a separate 4G pitch with an athletics track....I know this all costs but I believe it to be worth it....we have hosted some big events at DP recently, imagine the events we could host with a brand new facility.

Finally I hope Allerdale consult the fans about a proposed new stadium

as long as town and reds take any profits or a large percentage out of the stadium and not some management company.

• Like 2

In a perfect world we’d want a lovely grass surface to play on , but in this instance just getting the new stadium , comfortable surroundings and all the chances it gives you to progress and entice big  games , is really all that  matters . And first n foremost hopefully everyone comes on board and we get going 

• Like 1

If you keep an eye out you might occasionally notice an odd person digging in the river banks near the training pitch or the dog track looking for bottles etc as both sites were Victorian rubbish tips. Maybe the BOD should invest in a mini digger before the pub gets built, there maybe a fortune down there 😂

14 hours ago, bomberisgod said:

A new stadium would be phenomenal for everyone in Workington......

....and the rest of West Cumbria!

I often go to watch super league games ,and sitting in stadiums such as St Helen's, Warrington, Wigan , Leeds . and other modern stadiums , it certainly fetches you back down to earth when you see how run down and dated our stadium is . It has got to happen for the good of the area ,and also get young ones interested in one day, they will want to play there . The Keepmoat  stadium at Doncaster is a fantastic little stadium , but I hope when we play them in the semi final. by full time  its only left with Town supporters singing      bye bye     bye bye  as there fans are walking out . and we are celebrating  UTT 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dkw said:

It will be interesting to see what capacity is built, didn't the rfl say group ds need to be around 12000 to qualify for international games? 

Also, I see the usual luddites are whining about it already, such backwards looking idiots in this town. 

I can't see a 12,000 stadium capacity being viable for the odd game

• Like 1

You don't just want a stadium,   big enough  to accommodate the amount of supporters the both teams generate at matches . You need a stadium that will be the hub of the Town , holding events ,wedding's , after dinner speeches ,etc  ,a stadium that will be run as a business  every day, of the year .  Something to be proud of . Cant wait to see the plans , and the sooner it happens the better .

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, silverfox said:

You don't just want a stadium,   big enough  to accommodate the amount of supporters the both teams generate at matches . You need a stadium that will be the hub of the Town , holding events ,wedding's , after dinner speeches ,etc  ,a stadium that will be run as a business  every day, of the year .  Something to be proud of . Cant wait to see the plans , and the sooner it happens the better .

definatley. rugby league world cup games, England C games and concerts has to be the aim.

Just a thought would the rfl allow international games to be played on a 4g pitch, seems players seem to pick up nastier injuries on 4g, can’t see Australia, New Zealand or even our players being keen.

8 minutes ago, Spacecake said:

Just a thought would the rfl allow international games to be played on a 4g pitch, seems players seem to pick up nastier injuries on 4g, can’t see Australia, New Zealand or even our players being keen.

Rugby shouldn’t be played on 4G full stop for me. A 4G training facility possibly but not for matches. You get some hellish burns despite the so called advances in technology.

A lot of soccer teams go for those grass pitches with fibres woven in to prevent wear. That could possibly be the answer.

18 hours ago, rockerlad said:

last season it cost reds £25k to do required safety work just to open the stadium up.

That's one he'll of a sum for a club like Red's crippling to be exact. I've heard the cost of maintaining DP is over 40k, wouldn't it be great if both clubs only had to worry about getting decent teams out on the pitch and a bit of marketing rather than worrying about low life's trashing the place. I was at Newcastle last week and the set up was superb, great bar with loads of big screens showing sport and a good atmosphere, drink was reasonable as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rockerlad said:

I take it you didn't see bill Dorans letter in the star last week

It was only a matter of time before that letter was published it's a bit like hearing the first Cuckoo of spring. The difference this time is that the reds and most of their supporters are on board with this so hopefully a hand full of dissenters will be ignored. This will be the salvation of both clubs believe me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeordieTownie said:

Rugby shouldn’t be played on 4G full stop for me. A 4G training facility possibly but not for matches. You get some hellish burns despite the so called advances in technology.

A lot of soccer teams go for those grass pitches with fibres woven in to prevent wear. That could possibly be the answer.

Most premiership clubs have hybrid pitches most of the made in Maryport that would be the answer.

I read Mr Doran,s letter and was told he was in to his nineties and I’m afraid he is living in the past.  I’m only a youngster of 78 so he will have to forgive me for having a different more “modern” point of view.

i have said now for many years that the Reds and Town should share a ground, a new ground, and not only cut down the costs to both clubs but also to give fans a more modern stadia befitting of the 21st century.  In his argument against he quoted several grounds where he said that the the pitch doesn’t survive both sports being played on it but there are equally as many grounds that do have both games played and the pitch doesn’t suffer.

His letter contained many red herrings like him being a shareholder at the Reds to try to sway his argument and keep Borough Park but guess what Mr Doran, I am a shareholder at Town and I say let’s get on with building a new stadium and the sooner the better.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Limmertime said:

imagine the events we could host with a brand new facility.

When you look up the road and see regularly  the  acts Carlisle racecourse attracts it shows it can be done in Cumbria. 

• Like 1