Sign in to follow this  
Kirmonds pouch

Tom Johnstone

Assuming he recovers quickly from his injury and with Hall injured I can’t see how he isn’t first choice on the left. 

I’m sure certain posters won’t agree but hey you just can’t help some folk. I don’t give a stuff about bias the kid is utter class.

Anyone who watched him last night saw three top notch tries and some first class defence - 1 small error all game. 

Last third of the season has seen sublime rugby from TJ and although not yet at his physical peak only a fit Hall is a better left wing man.

He is the top scoring British player and has nearly caught Barba despite playing less games - he’s earned it.

Yep his defence needs some work and I'm sure Bennett will think the same - chance Charnley will make the squad though.

Charnley's played both left and right on the Wing. That makes him a good pick for internationals, when you need a guy who can fill in where necessary. TJ will get his chance if he carries on performing like this.

It is so much better for England or GB to have multiple contenders for any position than just one obvious name.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Brilliant diving try. One of the best I’ve seen this season.

Only doubt is his defence...

This is a complete myth and I’ve no idea where it’s come from. He struggled a bit as an 18 year old but who doesn’t.

Now there is no issue in fact I’d say he’s as good a defender as anyone including the two incumbents. 

Some times he shoots out of the line but that’s mainly because Bill Topou is a converted winger himself and is occasionally out of position.

if Hall were fit I’d not push it just yet but he isn’t and Toms the next best.

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Charnley's played both left and right on the Wing. That makes him a good pick for internationals, when you need a guy who can fill in where necessary. TJ will get his chance if he carries on performing like this.

It is so much better for England or GB to have multiple contenders for any position than just one obvious name.

This post is why we lose at this level. We have a fabulous young player with 25 tries on a season and you want to fudge it with a big standard winger because you have some bizarre notion about multiple contenders. Incredible mentality. Do you think the Aussie would mess about being negative, no they would pick TJ every time.

also TH can play both wings as can most wingers, Charley has no special gift in that respect.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch

48 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

This is a complete myth and I’ve no idea where it’s come from. He struggled a bit as an 18 year old but who doesn’t.

Now there is no issue in fact I’d say he’s as good a defender as anyone including the two incumbents. 

Some times he shoots out of the line but that’s mainly because Bill Topou is a converted winger himself and is occasionally out of position.

if Hall were fit I’d not push it just yet but he isn’t and Toms the next best.

I seem to remember he had a bit of a shocker defensively in the recent televised game v St Helens but with Hall out I agree Johnstone has earned the right to be given a go v France in the warmup game at LSV.

26 minutes ago, muckymunksy said:

Eden for me 

Sorry but I'm going to have to walk away I'm laughing that much. Greg Eden, honestly LOL, the only people who ever rated him were Cas fans, say no more.

(Just to save somebody else the effort.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Assuming he recovers quickly from his injury and with Hall injured I can’t see how he isn’t first choice on the left. 

He wasn't even first choice for Wakefield when dropped earlier this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I’m sure certain posters won’t agree but hey you just can’t help some folk. I don’t give a stuff about bias the kid is utter class.

Anyone who watched him last night saw three top notch tries and some first class defence - 1 small error all game. 

Last third of the season has seen sublime rugby from TJ and although not yet at his physical peak only a fit Hall is a better left wing man.

He is the top scoring British player and has nearly caught Barba despite playing less games - he’s earned it.

Johnstone is ready for a start and he is such an exciting player. In decades past he would have been thrown in as a 19 year-old and helped to develop. England should be looking to 2021 and his name should be one of the first on the team sheet for that if he keeps progressing. The defence thing is a bit of a red herring. He is not playing outside top class players week in week out and that sometimes leads to over thinking and over playing. Get him in there!

On top scoring English winger, Charnley has scored 28 tries in 21 league and Cup games. And doesn't Johnston play outside Topou who is expected to be the dream team centre. 

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Sorry but I'm going to have to walk away I'm laughing that much. Greg Eden, honestly LOL, the only people who ever rated him were Cas fans, say no more.

(Just to save somebody else the effort.)

Would have 30+ try’s this season if it want for injury 

1 hour ago, muckymunksy said:

Eden for me 

Yes I agree. Also if I was in charge at cas I would be renegotiating his contract to double what he is on. I have heard several clubs are after his signature.

2 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes I agree. Also if I was in charge at cas I would be renegotiating his contract to double what he is on. I have heard several clubs are after his signature.

Wouldn’t suprise me 

He is of course the record breaker so why wouldn’t they. 

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

Double what, depends on what he is on now, but to put some realism in the cas fans your last three left wingers have all been prolific so it's more likely that it's the style of your play and the other players than Eden. 

I just don’t rate Johnstone granted Iv only seen him play Cas Cos I don’t watch Waki when there on sky Cos I find them a very boring team to watch but can’t even remember Johnstone scoring past us.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

On top scoring English winger, Charnley has scored 28 tries in 21 league and Cup games. And doesn't Johnston play outside Topou who is expected to be the dream team centre. 

...and Charnley plays outside Ryan Atkins, which makes it even more of an achievement!   He must literally score on every rare occasion he finds himself in possession 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can any of them play centre 

Not unless they're a hard-running second row.   Them's the rules.   👎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Brilliant diving try. One of the best I’ve seen this season.

Only doubt is his defence...

Attacking class

Defensive ass.

But...

...If your winger is your last man in defense then your forwards have screwed up big and your centre has gone missing. (this is very tongue in cheek)

When fit, we have Hall, McGillvary, Charnley, Johnstone and Makinson all going for two spots on the England wing. It's a position that we have great depth in, and I would be happy to see any of the five in an England shirt.

If only we had such depth in the half back positions!