Previous MPG's

Chris22

We've had 3 million pound games so far, and these were the results:

Wakefield 24-16 Bradford
Hull KR 18-19 Salford
Leigh 10-26 Catalans

Since these respective matches, Wakefield have since stabilised, improved and have finished in the top 8 every season, but still have their stadium problems and probably the lowest budget in Super League.

Bradford missed out on the Qualifiers in 2016 and went in to financial meltdown again, before starting to rebuild, hopefully on more solid foundations.

Two years on, Hull KR and Salford have pretty much stayed as they are. Salford have stuck in the middle/lower reaches of Super League and Hull KR have recovered to this level.

Leigh have started on a path similar to Bradford, in missing out on the qualifiers. They are also showing signs of financial problems, but here's hoping they don't go the way of Bradford. As for Catalans, their turnaround has been fantastic, winning the Challenge Cup and recruiting well for next year meaning that they should be able to at least challenge for the top 5.

My question is, if these results were reversed, what fate would each side have had?

Would Wakefield have collapsed? Would Bradford be an established Super League club, or would promotion have just staved off the inevitable financial problems? Could a side like Salford survive relegation? Could Leigh have improved on an 11th placed finish? Would Catalans have done a Hull KR and bounced straight back up, or would relegation have led to their demise?

I know there's no way of answering these questions, but just a debate for a Sunday afternoon since all the Super 8's and Qualifiers games have already been played!

On 9/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, sweaty craiq said:

Wakefield and Salford would have collapsed, and Catalans owner said they were returning to the PT French leagues

No Wakefield wouldn't have collapsed completely i.e. no longer existed. However we would now IMHO be a true no hoper club with a rapidly dwindling support and probably ground sharing with just about anyone who would have us. I I would say we would end up like Oldham which would be a total nightmare.

Archived