Sign in to follow this  
Steam Pig

Christmas Derbies

You will need to be even older than me to answer this, and maybe also from the West Riding, but here goes. I am certain (I went to the matches) that in the 1970s Bradford Northern and Halifax played each other every Boxing Day. But I have a vague recollection that until the late 1960s the two clubs played each other every year, home and away, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I vaguely remember from my very early childhood, my father not being allowed to go on the 25th, but was allowed to go on the 26th. Or do I have a false memory?

Does anyone know for certain if Northern (none of this Bulls rubbish please) played the Thrum Hallers, in their standard league fixtures on the 25th and 26th December? Thank you!

Christmas day fixtures were regular in NRU/RL for a long time.

2 hours ago, Steam Pig said:

You will need to be even older than me to answer this, and maybe also from the West Riding, but here goes. I am certain (I went to the matches) that in the 1970s Bradford Northern and Halifax played each other every Boxing Day. But I have a vague recollection that until the late 1960s the two clubs played each other every year, home and away, on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I vaguely remember from my very early childhood, my father not being allowed to go on the 25th, but was allowed to go on the 26th. Or do I have a false memory?

Does anyone know for certain if Northern (none of this Bulls rubbish please) played the Thrum Hallers, in their standard league fixtures on the 25th and 26th December? Thank you!

I'm reading a book by Trevor Delaney called "Come on Northern". The fall and rise of Bradford Northern RLFC 1954 to 1965.

I've looked at the appendix for you (results section). They played Keighley (1954 Christmas Day), Keighley (1955 Boxing Day), Keighley (1957 Christmas & Boxing Day), Bramley (1958 & 1959 Christmas & Boxing Day), Bramley (1960 Boxing Day).

No record of playing Halifax on those days between 1954 to 1965.

Hope that helps.

Being of a certain age I think I remember Huddersfield & Halifax playing on Christmas day in the mid to late sixties, though I recall a couple being postponed due to the weather. I think the two Hull clubs played each other regularly on Christmas day too.I know I've often been to Headingley on Boxing day morning and another game at Thrum Hall, Odsal, Lawkholme Lane, or Fartown in the afternoon.

I'm sure Batley and Dewsbury played Xmas day and Boxing Day.

It would probably have been late 60's early 70's.

I think they tended to be lunch time kick offs,which is why I missed some starts due to previous nights excesses.

Wigan played Salford traditionally on Xmas Day, the day before playing Saints. They last did so in 1958. That year they then played Leigh on the 27th as well.

9 of the team played all 3 games.

Games gone soft!

• Like 2

Batley  and Dewsbury always played Christmas Day.Remember my brother having to skip Xmas Dinner so it didn't effect his play.

It was always a full house at the Mount in those days.