Why get rid of middle 8’s or something similar

The amount of interest increasingly generated by the middle 8s make me wonder why we are ditching it for one-on-one which is not enough promotion chance.

we always change when things are doing well - we got 20k for the last playoff final before licenshit

With the new system why not retain it as a middle 6 or middle 5?

10 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

we always change when things are doing well - we got 20k for the last playoff final before licenshit

That was Widnes Vs Cas if I remember correctly? 

Two fairly big teams.

If it was Leigh Vs Halifax for instance, they'd struggle to get 7,000 in my opinion.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

It's about time we covered this... can't believe it has gone unmentioned so far.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The amount of interest increasingly generated by the middle 8s make me wonder why we are ditching it for one-on-one which is not enough promotion chance.

It’s upto the championship to decide how the promoted team is decided. Be that top of the league or a playoff. 

I'm excited solely by Toronto and Toulouse because they are 2 expansion teams and I can see what potential they offer the game. It is great watching Toronto play at home in front of a vibrant crowd and atmosphere. Any interest or excitement for me certainly isn't because of the middle 8s system.

1 minute ago, Bomb Jack said:

That was Widnes Vs Cas if I remember correctly? 

Two fairly big teams.

If it was Leigh Vs Halifax for instance, they'd struggle to get 7,000 in my opinion.

Most NLGFs got around 12-13k IIRC. The Widnes v Castleford one was the first one to leave Cheshire and move to Headingley, allowing for the bigger attendance. Licensing then killed the game's "must see" feel and reduced it to about 7-8k affairs. 

In glad to see the GF back with promotion as they had built big events. I am sad to see the Qualifiers go though as I enjoyed them also. 

With the return of the 4-week SL playoffs, you could have ended the Championship 2 weeks early, had a Championship playoff of 2nd v 3rd (with winner to play 1st in the GF for automatic promotion); a wildcard playoff of 4th v 5th (with the winner playing the loser of 2nd v 3rd for a spot on the Qualifiers); and then finished the season with a 4-team Qualifiers group featuring 2 Championship clubs, SL11 and SL12. 

Best of both worlds, and also gives the Championship GF winners a 3 week headstart on the bottom SL club for signings rather than the other way round due to the seasons finishing differently. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

30 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

It's more and less chance of promotion!

The 8s provided potentially 4 promotion spots but also the potential of no teams getting promoted.

This system from 2019 offers less promotion spots but does actually guarantee 1 and also gives the opportunity for 5 Championship clubs to play for it

51 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Because it concentrates the attention on the mediocre rather than the winners.

As it happens I would put 2 SL places at risk. Bottom straight down and second bottom to play in 5 place playoff with Final as per the top of SL.

PS I suspect that the 6 loop fixtures will be an interim measure and before long we’ll see SL expanded to 14 teams to have 26 regular fixtures plus Magic. Increasing Championship to 14 clubs makes sure Bradford are in it for next year and then you’ll have a very interesting line up of clubs battling for SL this time next year.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

There was some discussion of the 8s on Backchat. Andrew Chalmers mentioned that the RFL owned the 8s format and that it was a valuable property. That seemed to surprise the others. 

It may be that the 8s could resurface in the future when the makeup of the league is markedly different to now.

Is there an echo on this forum, a very, very long one at that.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

There was some discussion of the 8s on Backchat. Andrew Chalmers mentioned that the RFL owned the 8s format and that it was a valuable property. That seemed to surprise the others. 

It may be that the 8s could resurface in the future when the makeup of the league is markedly different to now.

There was also mention,months ago,that with the Sky TV deal in place there couldn't be any changes.

Seems the RFL is a busted flush.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

You haven't been following very closely have you.It was made clear the fear of to many clubs being relegated in the same season was just to much to bear for the sl members

There is only one reason and reason alone to get rid of the middle 8's.

They are sheeeite for the game as whole.

Dumped, good riddance.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Under this system teams are promoted in spite of the system, not because of it. Super League clubs are given the chance to save themselves by beating teams that have spent the whole year playing at a lower standard and then they get a further chance through the MPG. It is like something you would see in South American soccer.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Under this system teams are promoted in spite of the system, not because of it. Super League clubs are given the chance to save themselves by beating teams that have spent the whole year playing at a lower standard and then they get a further chance through the MPG. It is like something you would see in South American soccer.

It does mean championship clubs already need to be a good standard rather than buying in after promotion

Enjoyed the 8's and unhappy that the decision to bin them has been made so late in a season , to me they should have ended with a years notice , but what is done is done

To me the Championship [ possibly League 1 as well ] season should from 2020 start earlier , possibly Boxing day , and the finals in August , as this was the problem that highlighted after Widnes's promotion in 2001 , their season ended in July giving them time to recruit and they finished 7 th [ possibly the highest finish to any recent promotion ] this after not finishing the regular season as top of NL1 , the Championship as was then

6 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

It does mean championship clubs already need to be a good standard rather than buying in after promotion

As is the case for a club to win the Championship anyway. All clubs buy in on promotion too no matter what system is in play.

Had a thought. Why not a Middle 4?

11th and 1st with 2 home games, bottom and 2nd 1.

Allows 2 or none to go up, and would keep the best of the qualifiers, but get rid of the worst too long, 9th place in trouble, relatively weak 4th place getting beaten.

Too late? Ah well...

Archived