Sign in to follow this  
deluded pom?

The Nine who Voted with SL

Leigh, Sheffield, Rochdale, Coventry, Doncaster, London S, Oldham, Whitehaven and Workington have been named as the clubs who voted with SL last Friday according to Martyn Sadler in today's LE. Any thoughts?

Purely for discussion purposes and not referring to any specific club but how much should a Club,which has been in existence for say a hundred years and is now playing in a rented ground infront of say approx 400/500 spectators per week,be given by the rfu?

I would have thought they might be better off being a community club,rather than travelling the length of the country on a sunday?

Each club will have their own motives no doubt. As they all did.

Is it taken as read that the 7 special categories all voted 'yes' to change?

How old that schools RL,  Armed forces all had a vote, but not wheelchair or womens or masters RL, etc? Seems a bit random.

Also, I assume Catalans voted (the famous 11-1 call on SL clubs) but Toulouse and Toronto no?

8 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

So did Rochdale cave in to the bully boy tactics from Warrington or would they have voted yes regardless? 

Have Rochdale even addressed those wild accusations that the small clubs were pushing as fact to attempt to win votes?

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Have Rochdale even addressed those wild accusations that the small clubs were pushing as fact to attempt to win votes?

Seems a bit far fetched to make up. I'm just glad the vote was won by a wide enough margin for it not to matter too much. 

Just now, BD20Cougar said:

Seems a bit far fetched to make up. I'm just glad the vote was won by a wide enough margin for it not to matter too much. 

There’s been no confirmation/denying from either Rochdale or Warrington. It seemed an awful accusation to make in an attempt to sway some clubs. 

16 minutes ago, cookey said:

Purely for discussion purposes and not referring to any specific club but how much should a Club,which has been in existence for say a hundred years and is now playing in a rented ground infront of say approx 400/500 spectators per week,be given by the rfu?

I would have thought they might be better off being a community club,rather than travelling the length of the country on a sunday?

A couples of things....

'How much' what? Money? Of a say? - the same as everybody else is the answer. You do realise these clubs are the absolute lifeblood that kept the game still being in existence in some areas don't you? It's no coincidence that Hunslet (who are exactly the kind of club you're referring to) has arguably the highest concentration of RL players anywhere in the country - many of which feed into the SL. That's directly linked to the good work done by Hunslet RLFC in schools and the community game in general and so much more. 

RFU? I think you mean RFL and I'd say pretty much all of the kind of clubs you're referring to already have very good community clubs if you do a bit of research, so you solve nothing by making the pro/semi pro clubs go to the community game. 

A couple of examples of what I mean - 

Hunslet

Pro club - Hunslet RLFC 

Community - Hunslet Parkside, Hunslet Warriors 

Whitehaven 

Pro club - Whitehaven RLFC

Community - Kells, Egremont, Wath Brow 

Oldham

Pro club - Oldham RLFC 

Community - Waterhead, Saddleworth, Oldham St Anne's 

Could give so many more examples of where, if you cut these clubs adrift, the implications run much deeper than just getting rid of as you say " a club,which has been in existence for say a hundred years and is now playing in a rented ground in front of say approx 400/500 spectators per week". 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

I’m disappointed that my own club voted for this. However I’m assuming it is because the funding will be more equally shared?

Leigh (and Featherstone) could well be amongst the favourites to go up under the changed system.

Plenty of twists and turns left in this season's qualifiers but if it does turn out that the SL teams are Salford, Leeds, HKR & Toronto then who would be the stand out club in the Championship next year? 

Without needing to build a squad capable of beating SL clubs and spending circa £1.5 then maybe Derek will stay on? As you say, with equal funding it changes things and Leigh & Fev could be well positioned for a (guaranteed) promotion tilt next year

It will be another interesting off season. 

Just now, JohnM said:

Dated 30th April.

Yes I know. They had a meeting of 'lower league' clubs a couple of months ago at the Keepmoat but I'm struggling to find any links to it. It was about all the Championship and League 1 clubs sticking together. Carl Hall was one of the most vociferous opponents to the SL proposal yet Doncaster still voted with SL. I'm intrigued to know what changed in the meantime. 

No Newcastle. So the well evidenced and well sourced rumours that they voted in favour as they were threatened with missing out on a WC game seem somewhat less well evidenced. 

45 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Leigh (and Featherstone) could well be amongst the favourites to go up under the changed system.

Plenty of twists and turns left in this season's qualifiers but if it does turn out that the SL teams are Salford, Leeds, HKR & Toronto then who would be the stand out club in the Championship next year? 

Without needing to build a squad capable of beating SL clubs and spending circa £1.5 then maybe Derek will stay on? As you say, with equal funding it changes things and Leigh & Fev could be well positioned for a (guaranteed) promotion tilt next year

Does this mean that some in the top four in the championship will get less next year (assuming they dont go up)? Will someone get a parachute payment?

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes I know. They had a meeting of 'lower league' clubs a couple of months ago at the Keepmoat but I'm struggling to find any links to it. It was about all the Championship and League 1 clubs sticking together. Carl Hall was one of the most vociferous opponents to the SL proposal yet Doncaster still voted with SL. I'm intrigued to know what changed in the meantime. 

Do you think some teams said you need all this DR ,loans and link up stuff ... you can forget that if you vote the wrong way 

Denied on Twitter by Coventry CEO. No idea of whether the other names are accurate

Edited by Yorks Tim
Dodgy autocorrect

4 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Does this mean that some in the top four in the championship will get less next year (assuming they dont go up)? Will someone get a parachute payment?

Considering that a fair number of player contracts will have already been signed based on the structured funding (particularly with top 4 clubs) it has to be as already planned otherwise some clubs may find themselves in financial difficulties. 

Maybe it is of interest to some but does it really matter? We have had the vote, even on a 1 member 1 vote system the motion would have been carried. It is now time to draw a line under everything and move on. Let us see if the messiah can save super league and in a couple of years we can come back when the next TV contract is up for renewal and state slating each other again!!

35 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Carl Hall was one of the most vociferous opponents to the SL proposal yet Doncaster still voted with SL. I'm intrigued to know what changed in the meantime. 

I'd be looking in the direction of their dual-reg masters

• Like 2

Discrepancy there between champ and league 1 . Wonder what one saw the other didn’t ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Maybe it is of interest to some but does it really matter? We have had the vote, even on a 1 member 1 vote system the motion would have been carried. It is now time to draw a line under everything and move on. Let us see if the messiah can save super league and in a couple of years we can come back when the next TV contract is up for renewal and state slating each other again!!

Always useful to know your friends/enemies and how well you can trust them......

• Like 1

As it was a secret ballot how can anyone know who voted for what?

Coventry Bears CEO has publicly stated that the League Express item is wrong in regards to the Bears at least.

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

lets be honest........it's gonna be whoever comes down will be favourite to go up every year (unless relegated super league clubs don't get any parachute money)........if the funding is spread evenly across the championship then the overall standard will even out but be considerably lower than it is now and in a couple of years the gap between SL and championship will be much larger.

On the plus side it'll be a more competitive league.......just a lower standard.  It'll be interesting to see how many teams continue to run full time squads outside super league going forward.

• Like 2