Super League Super 8s:

All four play off places clinched by St Helens, Wigan, Castleford and Warrington however second place and third place are still potentially up for grabs.

Wigan probably need just a point from their two games with Huddersfield (a) and Hull (h) to claim second and a home game in the playoffs.

If they slip up twice though then Castleford can take second with wins against Wakefield (h) and St Helens (a).

Should Castleford lose both their games then Warrington could snatch third place with two wins when they play St Helens (h) and Wakefield (a).

Next post: The Qualifiers Super 8s

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The fact there isn’t anything to play for isn’t the fault of the structure. Hope that helps. 

Hoping to steer clear of the politics to be honest and just talk about the rugby on this thread.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wigan probably need just a point from their two home games with Huddersfield and Hull to claim second and a home game in the playoffs.

They are @ Huddersfield on Thursday evening.

• Thanks 1

GF  Saints/Wire v Wigan/Cas

Q8 Toronto v Toulouse/London

Shield Fev v Leigh

L1 PO Bradford v Doncaster

Ten Bob Game: Roch v Bradford

NRL GF: Melbourne v Roosters

Super 8s - The Qualifiers

Loads up for grabs here:-

1. Salford 8 pts (Pts Diff 112)

2. Leeds 8 pts (Pts Diff 52)

3. Hull KR 8 pts (Pts Diff 16)

—————————————

4. Toronto 6pts (Pts Diff 9)

5. Toulouse 4pts (Pts Diff -11)

—————————————

6. London B 4pts (Pts Diff -13)

7. Widnes 2pts (Pts Diff -43)

8. Halifax 0pts (Pts Diff -122)

Remaining games:-

Salford: London B (a); Toulouse (h)

Leeds: Halifax (a); Toronto (h)

Hull KR: Toulouse (a); Widnes (h)

Toronto: Widnes (h); Leeds (a)

Toulouse: Hull KR (h); Salford (a)

London B: Salford (h); Halifax (h)

Widnes: Toronto (a); Hull KR (a)

Halifax: Leeds(h); London B (a)

Next post Championship Shield

If I were a Cas fan I'd want to avoid an away semi final at Wigan like the plague. 

EDIT: Not just because its in Wigan but because its a tough game too.

Edited by Tommygilf

Championship Shield:

Featherstone and Leigh have qualified for the Championship Shield final by finishing in the top 2 with games to spare.  

Featherstone lead the table by two points with a points difference of 492 with Leigh in second with a points difference of 495.

Remaining games for Featherstone to clinch home advantage in the final are Swinton (a) and Barrow (h).  For Leigh they play Batley (a) and Dewsbury (h).

At the bottom with two games left it’s now between Swinton and Rochdale to avoid a playoff against the finalist of the League One playoffs.

Swinton are two points clear with a better points difference of -560 compared to Rochdale who are on -642.

However, Rochdale have the better fixtures with Dewsbury (h) and Sheffield (a) whereas Swinton play Featherstone (h) and Batley (a).

Next post League One

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Championship Shield:

Featherstone and Leigh have qualified for the Championship Shield final by finishing in the top 2 with games to spare.  

At the bottom with two games left it’s now between Swinton and Rochdale to avoid a playoff against the finalist of the League One playoffs.

Swinton are two points clear with a better points difference of -560 compared to Rochdale who are on -642.

However, Rochdale have the better fixtures with Dewsbury (h) and Sheffield (a) whereas Swinton play Featherstone (h) and Batley (a).

Next post League One

Side who finishes top get home advantage so there is still that to play for even though it’s not much 

League One:

York or Bradford can still claim top spot and automatic promotion.

If York (with their two point lead) win or draw at home against playoff chasing Whitehaven in the final league game of the season they are champions.

Should they lose then Bradford with their superior points difference can clinch the title with a win at home against the lowly Hemel Stags.

In the battle for the playoffs, Doncaster and Workington Town are definitely in along with Bradford or York.  Whitehaven, Oldham and Hunslet are fighting for the final spot.

Whitehaven currently have a two point lead and a pts diff of 191 whereas Oldham have a pts diff of 529 and Hunslet have pts diff of 149.

If Whitehaven lose away at York then all Oldham will need is a win away at 10th place London Skolars to qualify.

Should Whitehaven lose fairly heavily and Oldham slip up, then the door is ajar for Hunslet if they defeat Coventry by a wide enough margin.

• Like 1

I think people forget that when there were no play offs and teams had little chance of winning the league in days of old, "dead rubber" games were important for: (1) pride (2) getting as high up the league as you can (3) beating rivals (especially when there was only one home and one away fixture).  For proof that this works in terms of generating interest from fans, see football.  (I know there is still qualification for Europe but this is far fetched for most)

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I think people forget that when there were no play offs and teams had little chance of winning the league in days of old, "dead rubber" games were important for: (1) pride (2) getting as high up the league as you can (3) beating rivals (especially when there was only one home and one away fixture).  For proof that this works in terms of generating interest from fans, see football.  (I know there is still qualification for Europe but this is far fetched for most)

You missed out by far and away the biggest incentive: winning pay. Now (most) players get the same money win or lose.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

When I was playing I was desperate to win every week and I never got paid for playing.

Surely players wanting to win because they are competitive sportspeople and supporters of a team wanting to see their team win is enough in and of itself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Fixtures between clubs with intense rivalries always feel like they matter, i completely agree with you there. But beyond that i would argue that football proves quite the opposite. As someone who regularly attends matches i find the drop off in attendances and overall apathy towards 'dead rubbers' to be quite stark in all divisions.

But you can't avoid them completely without creating a structure that gives the rest of the season too little meaning. In that regard i think football strikes a pretty good balance.

The RL structure from 2019 isn't too bad in that regard either in my opinion. I'd have prefered the championship winners up automatically with 11th in SL replacing them in the play offs, but what we've got isn't a million miles away.

So now we (Bulls) have to play a championship side if we get that far? Is that instead or after what would have been the supposed final?

4 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

So now we (Bulls) have to play a championship side if we get that far? Is that instead or after what would have been the supposed final?

Winner of the playoff final goes up along with league leader. Loser plays bottom of championship.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

You effectively get a second chance if you lose the play off final. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Championship Shield:

Featherstone lead the table by two points with a points difference of 492 with Leigh in second with a points difference of 495.

Remaining games for Featherstone to clinch home advantage in the final are Swinton (a) and Barrow (h).  For Leigh they play Batley (a) and Dewsbury (h).

Next post League One

If there is 14 clubs in champ next year is anyone getting relegated??

11 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The fact there isn’t anything to play for isn’t the fault of the structure. Hope that helps. 

Don't mean to derail the thread but the structures tag line was #everyminutematters

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If I were a Cas fan I'd want to avoid an away semi final at Wigan like the plague. 

EDIT: Not just because its in Wigan but because its a tough game too.

To be fair the alternative is hardly a breeze (Saints away).  Especially for Cas who never win vs Saints at their place...

Wigan are undoubtedly the form team of the four but I'd give us more chance than Saints away to be honest.

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Don't mean to derail the thread but the structures tag line was #everyminutematters

That will probably be the most derisive tag line, for the wrong reasons.

More to follow..

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

When I was playing I was desperate to win every week and I never got paid for playing.

Surely players wanting to win because they are competitive sportspeople and supporters of a team wanting to see their team win is enough in and of itself.

True but if you just played a long season and have nothing to gain or loose on the field then that motivation goes away. Happens to everyone, called being human.

I'll forgive people for forgetting that as the RFL has been trying it's beat to market for players as robots for a while now.