Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

Oldham prop Ben Davies sent off for...

...asking the referee how much he was getting paid. 

"How much are they paying you for this?" were his exact words apparently.

He claims he just wanted to know what the ref was earning and never implied he was getting paid by Bradford or insinuated that the ref was a cheat.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/oldham-prop-sent-off-for-asking-the-ref-how-much-he-was-getting-paid/

Oh dear.

Surely that is a question for in the bar after the game, unless...

Because the first question going through a players mind during a game is: "I wonder how much referees get paid for doing their job?"

Yeah, right.... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Because the first question going through a players mind during a game is: "I wonder how much referees get paid for doing their job?"

Yeah, right.... 

Ahem! Rumour and innuendo Mr Walker. Can you verify with linked evidence that Mr Davies was alleging bribery? Put up or shut up 😉

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Haha 1

I’d have walked him too, clearly insinuating the ref was cheating 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’d have walked him too, clearly insinuating the ref was cheating 

Yep. I really don’t know what the controversy is

• Like 6

Surely the RL disciplinary need to prove the intent of the question, not he prove his innocence?

• Like 1

Chrissy Sandow got binned for saying the same thing a few years ago, but like "Awww me dead ref, how much are they payin' ya?!"

It's certainly a novel way of saying the ref is rubbish, and I confess I've often felt the same, but he surely didn't think he could get away with it? On the field? To his face? He's definitely got a nerve but I'm far from sure about his brain being engaged.

Does he really think playing dumb is going to fool everyone!?  Increase his ban for treating us all like a bunch of damn fools!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bulliac said:

It's certainly a novel way of saying the ref is rubbish, and I confess I've often felt the same, but he surely didn't think he could get away with it? On the field? To his face? He's definitely got a nerve but I'm far from sure about his brain being engaged.

Ha... A red card for post modern irony.

The best thing for players is to keep quiet... and don't try to be comedians. 

Edited by Rupert Prince

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the comments from Scott Naylor after the game which proved his guilt.

Anything said to a referee during a match about receiving a payment of any type is always going to be considered an accusation of cheating. 

If you want to discuss referees payments and how they get paid, why not do it in a civilised manor off the field after the game?

Edited by Michael Gledhill

38 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

A lot of people seem to be ignoring the comments from Scott Naylor after the game which proved his guilt.

What did he say?

Weasely weasling questions you can ask....

"Sir, do people often call you a useless w*****?"

"I don't care what everyone else thinks, you're not a bent ref"

1 hour ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Davies implied you misquoted him didn't he?

Or was he suggesting that Scott Naylor misquoted him? 

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Davies implied you misquoted him didn't he?

Or was he suggesting that Scott Naylor misquoted him? 

I reported what Scott Naylor said after the game. He’s suggesting that Scott Naylor has misheard/misquoted him. I didn’t speak to Ben Davies after the game, only Scott Naylor. 

Anyone else hear Scott Naylor say this or just you Mick? I spoke to Ben after the game and he confirmed he said "how much are they paying you?" Which he also confirmed on Twitter.He denied vehemently he mentioned Bradford specifically and the question was aimed at the RFL 

Having said that I'm sure Big Ben wishes he hadn't said anything as words like that are always going to be taken by a ref as an implication of bias/bribery even if it was not intended that way. 

Ban coming no doubt, probably quite hefty for "questioning integrity". Wait and see what the charge is and see what Mr Rossleigh puts in his report. Only Ben and the ref know what was said and in what context.  

He was only asking what we all want to know anyway 🤣

Edited by roughyed34

Reading the comments here I have come to two possible conclusions

1) he was accusing the ref of being bent, which well is bad

Or

2) he was accusing the ref of not being up to the standard he expects from a ref, implying that he didn't deserve what ever money he was making for the match, which I feel is actually worse