Sign in to follow this  
hunsletgreenandgold

Man Of Steel 2018

I know this gets mentioned cross-topic in other threads but I think it's worth having a dedicated thread to discuss this. 

Many are saying it's the most open MoS contest since it's inception. Personally I have a shortlist of 5 and below is the order I'd like to see them finish in. 

1. P. McShane 

2. J. Bateman 

3. L. Thompson

4. T. Gigot

5. B. Barba

Paul McShane is tempting not only for his on-the-field displays but also his remarkable coaching of Hunslet Club Parkside. Does that count? Maybe it should.

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Paul McShane is tempting not only for his on-the-field displays but also his remarkable coaching of Hunslet Club Parkside. Does that count? Maybe it should.

I think there is a seperate award on the night that kind of covers 'community' type achievements but I absolutely agree that all round Macca has had an amazing year. We're very proud of him at The Hunslet Club. 

• Like 1

Luke Thompson, from day one of the season he's been the standout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Paul McShane is tempting not only for his on-the-field displays but also his remarkable coaching of Hunslet Club Parkside.

I wondered why the o.p. had McShane so high.

• Like 2

Man of Steel for me needs to be a player who gives it his all, and is fully committed and steps up In big games and is consistent. Barba not there for me as lacks commitment to Saints and has badly lost form  

John Bateman 

Tony Gigot 

Remi Casty 

James Roby

Paul McShane 

Would be my 5. Probably Casty or Bateman as the winner. 

4 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

Barba just hasn't done enough for me second half of the year, if he gets it it's simply because Eddie Hemmings gave it to him in March and he won't give it back.

If Eddie is presenting it and he wins that will be something 

It's a pity they changed the criteria to be players only. Previously it was the man who has made the most impression on the season. Ian Lenegan would have walked it this year.

I would imagine most players don't even want the award as no one I can think of in recent times has had any good fortune ( self inflicted or otherwise) or re captured the form they showed in the season they won it 

eg - rangi chase- Tomkins- Hardaker- brough- gale , even daryl clark has never found any consistency since picking up the award.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I would imagine most players don't even want the award as no one I can think of in recent times has had any good fortune ( self inflicted or otherwise) or re captured the form they showed in the season they won it 

eg - rangi chase- Tomkins- Hardaker- brough- gale , even daryl clark has never found any consistency since picking up the award.

Chris Houston would take it 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, muckymunksy said:

Cas bound 

Would be a great signing and the final piece to completing their backline.

Though the link below suggest that the Wakefield chairman is denying such rumours.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wakefield-silence-rumours-linking-bill-tupou-with-castleford/ 

I really wish the name could be changed.  Other than Adrian Vowles I don't think many recipients since exhibited Man of Steel properties during their relevant season.  Maybe Bateman is worthy this year of such a title/

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I really wish the name could be changed.  Other than Adrian Vowles I don't think many recipients since exhibited Man of Steel properties during their relevant season.  Maybe Bateman is worthy this year of such a title/

I’d agree with that . It’s like super league as a title , what does it mean . Maybe name it after a great player or figure in the game or something