Dave Naylor

London Skolars Away

So here we are.  The last game of the regular season coming up on Saturday down in London.

At the start of this year the No.1 objective will have been to finish top of what looked like a competitive league.  There's no way that was a certainty and a second best would have been to finish with a home play-off game.  The best we can do now is achieve a third-best option of securing a play-off game played away.  C'est la vie.  

Of course we still have the tricky situation of having to travel to the capital and win to grab that 5th spot.  Skolars will be no pushovers on their home pitch and ran York to within 2pts earlier in the season.  Meanwhile, up in York, the leaders have to beat visitors Whitehaven to claim the league leader's trophy and promotion.  If Whitehaven pull off an unlikely away win, they will grab 5th place for themselves and we're toast.

We should beat Skolars.  York should beat Whitehaven and we'll be rewarded with a trip to Odsal to play that lot again.  Failure to finish top always meant we'd have to beat a top team in the play-offs, so it is what it is.

For me personally, this will be my 32nd game of the year.  3 friendlies, 3 cup ties and 26 league games (+ the Wembley trip but I'm not counting that).  It seems such a long time since that very wet afternoon in Barrow where Oldham were playing lots of new players/trialists who were all splattered in mud to the extent that you'd no idea who was who.  It's all been fun!

Edited by Dave Naylor
typos
  • Like 4

It has been a funny old season, full of what ifs again. Hey ho,typical Oldham really. 

We have a chance now to go to London and get a win to finish the regular season (as Dave says we need to be 100% London ain't no pushovers) and if the results go our way another shot at the Bulls at Odsal.

It's not over just yet, personally it's been a great season with the Yeds fans who may I add have been magnificent this year both home and away, frequently outnumbered away but making their presence felt vocally and being incredibly sporting applauding both sides off the pitch at every single game, win or lose.Huge credit to our supporters for that.

We may be few but I wouldn't swap our fans for anything, a more sporting ,humourous,passionate bunch you would be hard pressed to find.

We moan at times but only because we love this club and care deeply about it.

The players have been brilliant, they have lacked nouse at times and made crucial errors in certain games but excuses have never been made for the poor performances. Thanks to each and everyone of them for the pride and determination they have shown wearing our shirts and the blood and sweat they have shed for the cause.The ovations they have received from us i hope have shown the appreciation we have towards them all.

The people who have run the club especially Anne Kearns in Mr H's absence deserve some credit too,not easy to take the flack while the main man is recovering, Nigel and the rest of the staff including ORSA, and the coaching team take a bow for everything they have contributed to the club this season.

We can still go up, it's a last chance saloon scenario but we cling to a bit of hope that something may go our way for once. 

If we do make the playoffs it would be great to see a travelling army backing the lads at Odsal.

May not have been the greatest season in our history results wise but it's been a pleasure to spend time with our fans and also those friends from every other club.

Up the Yeds!

• Like 3

Your having a laugh RFL? Changing our kick off to 5.30pm on Saturday at Trailfinders instead of New River because Skolars fans also watch Broncos? Seriously???? All this because they moved the Salford game at short notice. What a crock of old ******!

Disgraceful this, why did Oldham agree to this rubbish????

• Like 1

London Skolars game -- key information

NEWSFLASH . . . our final game of the regular season against London Skolars away on Saturday has been switched from the New River Stadium to the home of London Broncos at Trailfinders Sports Club, Vallis Way, West Ealing, London W13 ODD, and will kick-off at 5.30pm.

Read full article

I'm literally stunned by this.  We've booked accommodation on the other side of London that we may not now be able to change.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If we asked Oldham to change the time of kick off and venue to say wigan do you reckon we would be allowed........................ 

Would we hellers like 

I tell you its the 🤡 🤡 

I sort of understand that "London" fans have a certain % of crossover between the two clubs but what I can't get my head around is surely there is a loyalty to one or the other. If you support Skolars then watch them at New River, same with Broncos at Trailfinders. If there is a clash of fixtures you pick the side which you are a proper fan of. If there is no clash then of course if you feel that way watch the other game too.

Some Skolars fans are angry that they can't make the game due to change of kick off time for their home game due to prior commitments and said with the uncertainty they may not renew season tickets next season.

If this is the case that so many Skolars fans watch Broncos then why do they have their own ground etc, surely they would be better having double headers every week at Trailfinders and therefore probably improving crowds for both clubs and promoting the game in London from one base? It strikes me that fans in London seem to support "London" not a specific club with the way the reason for the move of our fixture has occurred.

Yes the RFL dropped a nut with the Broncos/Salford game being moved but if the only reason for our game being moved is so Skolars fans can watch the Broncos. That's not a valid reason to mess with our fixture imho. Unfortunate for Skolars that this clash occurred but they should have still had to play the game at their home ground. Clearly don't have much faith in their own fans to attend if they have to do this.

As Dave said,some fans have booked accommodation on the other side of London,travel has been arranged etc. Zero regard for our travelling fans.

Long day ahead Saturday, should be home for 1am ish. Lovely. Things we do for this club eh 😉

• Like 2

Red-carded prop pair free to face Skolars

FRONT-ROW forwards Ben Davies and Luke Nelmes, both sent off against Bradford Bulls, will be free to prop-up Oldham’s pack in Saturday’s must-win Betfred League 1 clash against London Skolars in the capital.

Read full article

Prices for the double-header etc

MORE information is now available about the double-header featuring London Broncos v Salford Red Devils and London Skolars v Oldham at the Trailfinders Sports Club, West Ealing on Saturday.

Read full article

Good stuff from Oldham this, well done to the club for ensuring we don't have to pay the double header price if people don't want to. 

Best of a poor situation not of our clubs own making. 

• Like 2

This isn't the first time we have been messed about in London a few years back a game was moved twice when we had booked an hotel. So we aregiving it a miss best of luck to everyone travelling and best wishes t.o the team.

• Like 1

Crook back in Oldham's 19

PAUL Crook, who missed the second half of the York game and the whole of the Bradford game because of a foot injury, is back in Oldham’s 19-man squad for tomorrow’s (Saturday) massive game against London Skolars.

Read full article

Good luck to the boys for today's game. Safe travel for our travelling support,hope you all have a great day and a safe journey home.

• Like 2

Well done Oldham, job done.

Just need York to do the business tomorrow so we can make the trip to Bradford next week.

Safe trip back to all the travelling fans, my guess is you are buying a Costa coffee and ginsters pasty from Birmingham services right now 🤗

• Like 1

Still here. Random Thai meal in North Finchley and now in bed at a Premier Inn in Enfield. Showing the little un the sights of London tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just got in lol. Long day but worth it. The London double header bit Skolars right on the arris with what I suggest a lower crowd than what it would have been as a 3 o clock k.o at their own ground. Most Broncos fans they expected to support the league 1 club were sat in the club watching Widnes on the screen,while our game was on. Fair play to the Skolars fans I spoke they were also gutted not to be at home and did say they would rather have been at New River. Strange move to switch the game, clearly there was more to it than the "fans want to watch both games". Pity we probs will never know the real reason behind the move.

As for the game, we did well. One try chalked off for nothing but hey, we are used to dodgy decisions 😂. All in all a professional performance, we await our fate now with the York/Haven game. 

If we go to Odsal next week then so be it, one throw of the dice in pretty much a winner takes all battle. If Haven win then that's us done.

The lads did the job today and massive credit to a very decent Oldham contingent who made the trek down to London.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Oldham Forever said:

Thanks York (I think ha!) The prospect of playing at Bradford with no props is slightly concerning 😂🤕

Oh try to at least air on the positive. You never know mate.

Just now, moorside roughyed said:

Oh try to at least air on the positive. You never know mate.

That’s very true! Stranger things have happened! I’ll have everything crossed and if we can do it at Hull KR we can do it at Bradford! Can you just imagine?!! All those signings they’ve made thinking they were going up? It’s the stuff dreams are made of!