Sign in to follow this  
Chamey

Test match between Tonga and New Zealand Māori next month called off due to lack of NRL support

How typical of the NRL, in many ways they are just as insular as your atypical chippy Northerner. They are not just hindering the international scene they are hindering RL as a whole, selfish barstewards.

• Like 1

I am no supporter of the NRL in respect to their hypocrisy about player welfare i.e. Quite happy to let players back up 2 days after SoO but cries foul when players have one weeks rest after a test match in Denver.  

But this is what you get when test matches are organised on a whim.  If NZ and Tonga had agreed last November to play this year then all parties would probably have agreed player availability.

Need to be careful here cause it's not clear at all what they mean by 'lack of support'.

Considering that it's the off season when players aren't expected to front up for clubs it's very unlikely that the NRL or the clubs refused to release players. So it seems much more likely to me that what they mean by lack of support is that they wanted financial support in some form from the the NRL and as it's on such short notice and they aren't really involved the NRL refused.

So yeah who knows what really went on here, but jumping to the conclusion that it's the NRL's 'fault' or whatever would be unwise. 

Edited by The Great Dane
  • Like 1

If it’s financial support you have to ask what's it got to do with the NRL? If it’s player support then stop arranging games at short notice. If there’s one thing we should have learned from Denver it’s that you need to engage with the NRL, not just organise a game with a month’s grace and then complain if they aren’t happy. By the way this wasn’t going to be a Test match either.

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what annoys we shouldn’t have to run things by the NRL whenever internationals are being put on. Or even worse arrange games only for the NRL to sabotage the build up or pull the plug altogether at the last minute. As long as the RLIF have approved it then NRL has a chance to have their say through their representatives at that point. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

This is what annoys we shouldn’t have to run things by the NRL whenever internationals are being put on. Or even worse arrange games only for the NRL to sabotage the build up or pull the plug altogether at the last minute.

So long as the PI's and to a lesser extent NZ are dependant on the NRL for financial support (among other things) it's always going to be the case that games like this are going to have to be approved by the NRL unless they (the PI's and NZ) can find a way to fund the event independent of the NRL...

13 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

As long as the RLIF have approved it then NRL has a chance to have their say through their representatives at that point

This wasn't a test and it had nothing to do with the RLIF, but even if it did have something to do with the RLIF there wouldn't have been time for the Australian reps to consult with their stakeholders before they were asked to approve it considering that the game was organised on such short notice.

The NRL are always the ones to blame apparently, but remember it's the NZRL who expressed concerns about Tonga overshadowing the Kiwis v Kangaroos game, so I doubt they were cool with this game against the Maoris being played on the same day!

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

This is what annoys we shouldn’t have to run things by the NRL whenever internationals are being put on. Or even worse arrange games only for the NRL to sabotage the build up or pull the plug altogether at the last minute. As long as the RLIF have approved it then NRL has a chance to have their say through their representatives at that point. 

New Zealand Maori are not a Test team so they do not represent a Nation, this was not a Test match

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

More BS from the NRL 

The NRL are a club competition, what do you want them to do?

9 hours ago, Allora said:

The NRL are a club competition, what do you want them to do?

Stick to club matters and stay out of the international game ??

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Stick to club matters and stay out of the international game ??

Edit: Comment deleted...been down this road before on here.

Edited by ghost crayfish

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12128731

Expanded reasons here:

1) RLPA were concerned on player welfare and burn out

2) NRL Clubs didn't want to release players for the NZ Maori

3) NRL was reluctant to use more resources after getting Tonga v Australia organised

Oh, and get this:

4) NZRL were concerned it was too close to the NZ Kiwi v Australia game and distract from the match

1 hour ago, Abicus said:

Expanded reasons here:

3) NRL was reluctant to use more resources after getting Tonga v Australia organised

Oh, and get this:

4) NZRL were concerned it was too close to the NZ Kiwi v Australia game and distract from the match

The real issue is the third, the rest is just noise.

They wanted something from the NRL to get the game off the ground (probably money to top up the players match payments) and since it's got nothing to do with the NRL they wouldn't give it to them. I'd say that they should have contacted the NZRL for the support (cause you know it actually has something to do with them) but they probably couldn't afford it even if they were inclined to support the game if we are honest.

Seems to me as communications have become near instantaneous, focus and forward planning have become worse and worse.  In the snail mail past forward thinking and clarity were absolutes to organise anything in the time required.

Everything seems so off the cuff and reactionary these days, with the associated finger pointing elsewhere when something short notice doesn’t pan out.

****.  I’ve now turned into my dad.  I suppose something was better when he was a lad.

Edited by CanaBull
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Abicus said:

Expanded reasons here:

Oh, and get this:

I don;'t get it, weren;t we told not to play that Test match in June and that internationals should be staged at the end of the year?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don;'t get it, weren;t we told not to play that Test match in June and that internationals should be staged at the end of the year?

Exactly. Every excuse the NRL have come up with over the last few years have been nothing more than diversionary tactics to keep up the charade that they actually give a damn about the international game and growth of Rugby League elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

You'll note that in the article that point isn't sourced and there's no quote backing it either, frankly that's probably cause it's conjecture or it's just been assumed by the author.

The clubs have no recourse by which they could stop the players from taking part in this game if they really wanted too at that time of year, and the clubs know it. The clubs may not want them to take part but they can't stop them from taking part.

For example, NRL players take part in the Koori Knockout and Murri cup all the time, I'm sure that a lot of clubs don't like it (the RLPA doesn't like it either for that matter), but they can't prevent it from happening cause it's happening during the players break time and they aren't being payed by a competitor organisation to do so (i.e. they aren't turning out for a RU club in the off season) .

BTW this wasn't a test match...

34 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

You'll note that in the article that point isn't sourced and there's no quote backing it either, frankly that's probably cause it's conjecture or it's just been assumed by the author.

The clubs have no recourse by which they could stop the players from taking part in this game if they really wanted too at that time of year, and the clubs know it. The clubs may not want them to take part but they can't stop them from taking part.

For example, NRL players take part in the Koori Knockout and Murri cup all the time, I'm sure that a lot of clubs don't like it (the RLPA doesn't like it either for that matter), but they can't prevent it from happening cause it's happening during the players break time and they aren't being payed by a competitor organisation to do so (i.e. they aren't turning out for a RU club in the off season) .

BTW this wasn't a test match...

I didn't say it was.

To be fair, just like the Tonga Aus test, all this should have been organised in January. They are like a high schooler putting off that 20 page essay they have had all month to do till the last 2 days. And it shouldn't be the NRL (though input should be appreciated) organising these things, its the RLIFs job. They have been poor organising anything that doesn't have Australia, England or NZ in it.