Golden Point ?

DavidM

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Shot clocks are a must. They’ll stop players going down when defending a goalline drop out or players throwing the ball away to buy time. 

Golden Point is rubbish. Just halves attempting to kick a drop goal from 30-40 metres till someone gets within 20-25. 

Players going down and getting treatment from physios was one of the reasons mentioned 

I was never a fan of any extra time or Golden Point, except for finals or in the old Wednesday knock-out comp. I think this year in NRL there were only 3 extra time games, despite there being 17 games with a 1-point margin. (One of the Golden Point games was actually a 2-point margin, as any Wests Tigers fan will vividly remember)

Teams have finally woke up to the idea of taking the 1 pointer early.

5 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I was never a fan of any extra time or Golden Point, except for finals or in the old Wednesday knock-out comp. I think this year in NRL there were only 3 extra time games, despite there being 17 games with a 1-point margin. (One of the Golden Point games was actually a 2-point margin, as any Wests Tigers fan will vividly remember)

Teams have finally woke up to the idea of taking the 1 pointer early.

This is all true. I personally feel leave golden point for the finals. Regular season draws I actually find thrilling as it's actually hard to achieve in League! 

The shot clock rules I agree with... 

One of the best pieces of evidence in favour of the shot clock is that we've only had about 6 clock penalties in nearly 400 games, so clearly the game can be hurried up with little or no effort.

Just now, Damien said:

Please God no golden point. It is an awful concept and produces atrocious Rugby. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a draw and both teams getting, and totally deserving a point, for their efforts.

Totally agree . Gimmick . Nothing wrong with battling away for 80 and ending up with a draw . They say you need a result ... err , that is a legitimate result 

My two penn'orth is that shot-clocks are a good idea.

As for Golden Point, if we have them I've suggested before that the first try in extra time should be an immediate winner, but any kicks (DGs or penalties) just go on the scoreboard 'til the end of that period and don't decide the match 'til then. You will still get teams going for early kicks to gain a lead, but also looking for that try which will seal the game there and then. More options, more variety in extra time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Clocks to speed up the game are a must. I don't mean speed up the play etc. but the games take longer because we stop for everything right now. I'd have clocks for drop-outs, kick offs after scores, scrums, and more where necessary.

Many players are taking the pee at the moment.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Players going down and getting treatment from physios was one of the reasons mentioned 

Anything to stop this cheating.

I would like to see the other NRL initiatives on extra scrutiny at the PTB and the Yellow Card for an offence when an injury has caused a player to leave the field due to foul play.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As for Golden Point, if we have them I've suggested before that the first try in extra time should be an immediate winner, but any kicks (DGs or penalties) just go on the scoreboard 'til the end of that period and don't decide the match 'til then. You will still get teams going for early kicks to gain a lead, but also looking for that try which will seal the game there and then. More options, more variety in extra time.

Sounds plausible, as you say, "If we have to have them".

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I get sick of saying this but silver point is perfect for RL. It didn’t work in football because the side that scored first just killed the game. That isn’t really possible in RL. For those that don’t know in silver point you play out the full extra time but the team that scores first wins if at the end of extra time the sides are level. 

Definitely need a shot clock, the faffing around and time wasting is getting worse and worse, noticed it a lot this year especially. Given that they are considering a shot clock at least shows that the powers that be have noticed this and realise something needs doing, which is a first for our sport. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Clocks to speed up the game are a must. I don't mean speed up the play etc. but the games take longer because we stop for everything right now. I'd have clocks for drop-outs, kick offs after scores, scrums, and more where necessary.

Or we could apply more stopped clocks but make it a 60min game not 80...

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Is there an idea for a 'two minute warning' ... where there is more stopping of clocks in that time? Stretching out the tension, if there is any?   Just a thought,  I have an open mind about the whole thing.   

My previous understanding is that physios can come on if a player is injured.  So there seems limited excuses for stopping for injury or substitution.  The ref can quite easily play on.

It would be a good idea to reduce the interchanges, and the number of replacements.  

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Interesting idea. Essentially, you're saying Golden Try or Silver Point. 

I don't like the concept of GP in league games, but in Cup games that could be a goer. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

A draw acknowledges the efforts of both sides over 80 minutes and I think most UK audiences, in particular, see 1point each as a fair reward.

If it was decided that a Golden Point be introduced, then each side should perhaps receive a point each after 80 minutes, with an additional point for the final victor.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

On the flip side (ish), I am fed up of the 'he gets a minute' when someone takes a conversion or wins a penalty and decides to kick a goal.

As a speccy, I haven't paid my money to watch a bloke deliberately and legally stand around and run a minute off the clock. The ref should call time off when the penalty is awarded, with say 15 seconds to decide what to do and 45 seconds to take it - but with the clock stopped until the kick is taken.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

23 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Interesting idea. Essentially, you're saying Golden Try or Silver Point. 

I don't like the concept of GP in league games, but in Cup games that could be a goer. 

I think, with the already busy fixture list in SL/Champs, we do need a good decider strategy for cup games. Draws in regular league fixtures are fine, and actually make the end-of-season mathematics a little more interesting.

Now, how about an "off-clock" for card offences? If a sin-binned player doesn't get off the field of play within a certain time, his card's upgraded to red. If he's actually been red-carded and meanders off slowly, have that fact added to the disciplinary board's considerations on the following Tuesday (I think this might prove popular...)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived