John Drake

RFL CEO Ralph Rimmer on Rugby League Back Chat this week

back-chat-promo-pic-29-600.jpg

Don’t miss Rugby League Back Chat sponsored by TotalRL.com on Freesports TV this Thursday 20th September at 4.55pm, plus repeats (Fri 7pm, Sat 11am).

The recently appointed RFL Chief Executive Ralph Rimmer takes up one of the hot seats as he joins host Dave Woods and fellow guests League Express Editor Martyn Sadler and Richard de la Riviere from Rugby League World.

As the dust settles from last weeks EGM what is the plan?
Can we improve the speed of the game as 80 minutes turns into 120?
And Mr Rimmer explains to Salford fans left out of pocket as their game at London is switched, exactly what went on.
All that and a bit more on Rugby League Back Chat this Thursday on FreeSports.

Rugby League Back Chat, sponsored by TotalRL.com, is broadcast weekly on FreeSports TV, which can be found at Channel 95 on Freeview, 422 on Sky and 130 on Virgin Media. The programme is repeated several times over the weekend and will appear here on the TotalRL.com website from 9.00am on Saturdays.

I hear he’s on Golden Point as well - is he finally coming out of hiding? Will we be subject to his usual condescending political tones? Has he got anything of actual interest to say? I might just watch and find out ....

I would hazard a guess that whatever he does say will be roundly derided on here by the vast majority. He will also be criticised for what he doesn't say too! He is in a no win situation but fair play to him for sticking his head above the parapet.

One last chance for Martyn to have a crack at the 'cross-league' matches idea.

And then possibly for Ralph to have a crack at Martyn.

• Haha 2

I just hope that Dave Wood and Martyn subject him to some 'journalistic enquiry' and not let him wriggle off the hook with generalities and platitudes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

journalistic enquiry, yes but not over-talking his answers/opinions. Happens an awful lot when you want to hear the answer or opinion of the "important" guest to have somebody over-talk him with his favorite opinion or hobby horse.

Let the man speak and answer fully the  question without interruption.

Although I guess too late for this broadcast but hopefully he wasn't constantly interrupted. 

• Like 2

Did someone ask him about the 'plan b' in regards to this year's CC final and why did the test match get moved. Or did everyone just pucker up.

• Like 2

Heard Rimmer being interviewed on the radio after the vote last week. Started every answer with 'look...' and a ramble about anything but the question asked. Sounded like a Theresa Maybot clone. Hopefully he comes across a lot better in this.

I want a bit of controversy, we have to have the anchor man so Woods stays, but instead of two mild mannered journalist who dare not rock the boat for fear of future reprisals like refusing interviews or passing over information etc.

Why not have those who would deliver searching questions like Andrew Chalmers or  Mark Campbell, now that would be interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I want a bit of controversy, we have to have the anchor man so Woods stays, but instead of two mild mannered journalist who dare not rock the boat for fear of future reprisals like refusing interviews or passing over information etc.

Why not have those who would deliver searching questions like Andrew Chalmers or  Mark Campbell, now that would be interesting.

I much as he's a pain and I've complained before Schofield could be interesting to add to the pot too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

I would hazard a guess that whatever he does say will be roundly derided on here by the vast majority. He will also be criticised for what he doesn't say too! He is in a no win situation but fair play to him for sticking his head above the parapet.

5 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Very daring to stick his head up and say something for 250k a year!

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I much as he's a pain and I've complained before Schofield could be interesting to add to the pot too.

"That's a bit harsh"☺, I agree especially as Scohey is involved with Keighley.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

When he is not ranting he is actually quite informed and talks a lot of sense.

If you filter out his occasional over reactions.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Moove said:

Heard Rimmer being interviewed on the radio after the vote last week. Started every answer with 'look...' and a ramble about anything but the question asked. Sounded like a Theresa Maybot clone. Hopefully he comes across a lot better in this.

Its a fairly uninspiring line up.  Which might be why Rimmer is on.

Dont expect to get anything challenging put to him.

Agree with the uninspiring line up meaning he’s unlikely to be really challenged.  Would have been good to have fan questions!

I’d ask him about Liverpool as his team are unwilling to give me a decent response - I emailed the RFL about the Liverpool fixture, the disruption it caused to my plans ref travel/accommodation being booked and received no reply.  I followed it up asking for one and basically got the press release.  I went back again and had no reply.  

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

When Brian Barwick going to be on?

He’s in the green room minding the buffet.

• Haha 1

Blinkin' eck, I see we've written this interview off before it's even been aired!!!

• Like 4

One bugbear of mine is that the Rugby League press give the RFL and our administrators far too easy a time on the major issues and problems within the game.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Its a fairly uninspiring line up.  Which might be why Rimmer is on.

Dont expect to get anything challenging put to him.

Perhaps you may not have thought this through quite fully.

Perhaps, if you want to get people like Ralph Rimmer to occasionally take part in a discussion programme on television; to offer their opinions, version of events, thoughts for the future and so on; perhaps it may be advisable not to make them feel they are only there to be pumped to death, criticised, laughed into touch and/or just plain disbelieved.

Like all of us, Ralph Rimmer has a job to do; a job that requires him to maintain a dignified and prudent image for the sake of the game he represents.  Why assume that with him, only a third-degree interrogation style session could be of interest and useful?

It is useful, I believe, to have people like Ralph take part.  People in high-office (at whatever level), officials like Ralph who, while operative and controlling to a certain extent, are also representative and therefore requisitely discrete.

What gain then, if the first time someone like Ralph agrees to join your discussion panel, you succeed only in convincing him that, having offered himself up for one battering he will not make the same mistake again?

Surely it is better to enjoy the occasional benefit of having some currently pertinent questions, some concerns or policies explained - in a relaxed and informal way - from the official point of view.

I would like to see Backchat able to invite RFL officials, in various capacities, onto the show from time to time, without coming slap-bang up against a ban on any such participation, imposed `from above'.  We could surely benefit from the potentially enlightening (if moderately cautious), freely offered knowledge and opinions of many such people.

That will never be possible, however, until current television audiences throw off this `TV channel war' nurtured obsession with `ooh, aaah drama!'; the idea that only conflict can possibly be interesting; the belief that any interviewee not grilled `noughties-Paxman’ style will, by-definition, be getting away with lying.

Surely the man being grilled is the man more likely to resort to lies.

?

😀

Edited by Honor James
  • Like 5

So.....our game is no good, our refs are no good, the Sky team is no good, the international game is no good, the stadiums are no good..old or new, the structure is no good, the RFL is no good, the NRL is no good and now, thd media is no good.

What I'd like to see is the naysayer fans on here to be subject to the very same  media interrogation they wsh on others and see how they get on. 

Those self same fans can of course, subject Rimmer to interrogation directly, via letter, phone, email or personal visit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So.....our game is no good, our refs are no good, the Sky team is no good, the international game is no good, the stadiums are no good..old or new, the structure is no good, the RFL is no good, the NRL is no good and now, thd media is no good.

What I'd like to see is the naysayer fans on here to be subject to the very same  media interrogation they wsh on others and see how they get on. 

Those self same fans can of course, subject Rimmer to interrogation directly, via letter, phone, email or personal visit.

A CEO of any large company should expect media interrogation and scrutiny about his performance and the performance of the company that he is in charge of. It goes with the territory and is why he gets paid a huge salary. It is absurd to think that he should get a bye and let off the hook just because a person on 30k a year doesn't fancy the same level of scrutiny.

• Like 1