Sign in to follow this  
Havenwarrior

RFL Funding

this the old idea to use social media followers as a % of funding received to promote better in house marketing? I believe it only affected 2-3% of the total funding so actually not a bad idea to get some of the slackers to do something as it's an online world now...so if you're not inline...you don't exist in the majority of the worlds eyes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Come again??? 

The RFL has said one of the measures next year by which our funding will be judged is how many people each club haven on the OUR LEAGUE APP.

HW

2 minutes ago, Havenwarrior said:

The RFL has said one of the measures next year by which our funding will be judged is how many people each club haven on the OUR LEAGUE APP.

HW

With the current lack of transparency that's not open to corruption is it!

Plus its a stupid self defeating idea, that means rather than using an opportunity to use social media to grow our game.

We are now using it as metric to complete some tick boxing idea.

I struggle to comprehend the level of stupidity that Rugby League now operates at.

• Like 1

I’d prefer it linked to minimum standards, rather than one metric. 

I.e. each club needs a Work Plan signed off by the RFL at the start of the year and updated quarterly. This would include:

- how many social media posts each week

- key events per quarter

- community engagement activities

- collaboration activities

It would be expected that through the above, the club would promote signups to the Our League app. 

At this stage the Our League app is not always updated. It took until week 2 for the Qualifiers table to be added. They are delayed with the highlights videos. I could go on. 

The streaming of League 1 is a reason to get it. But why did it take until the last month of footy to start this? The Our League app could have streamed the Bradford Bulls matches. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

I’d prefer it linked to minimum standards, rather than one metric. 

I.e. each club needs a Work Plan signed off by the RFL at the start of the year and updated quarterly. This would include:

- how many social media posts each week

- key events per quarter

- community engagement activities

- collaboration activities

It would be expected that through the above, the club would promote signups to the Our League app. 

At this stage the Our League app is not always updated. It took until week 2 for the Qualifiers table to be added. They are delayed with the highlights videos. I could go on. 

The streaming of League 1 is a reason to get it. But why did it take until the last month of footy to start this? The Our League app could have streamed the Bradford Bulls matches. 

It shouldn't be used as way to exclude people from watching the game fan base is not big enough.

But rather something that is a convenient multimedia content hub.

You can put on interviews from clubs, the RFL, RLEF, IRLF, etc.

Use it to read the RSS feeds that come from the RLIf, APRLC, RLEF, North America.

Show games when they are streamed to help grow the awareness of the international game and amateur game.

Have KFC style offers where the app gives you some reason to be a member.

I.E. Show the app get £1.50p off at the gate, etc.

Or give members access to non-rugby league offers.  Days at Alton Towers, Chester Zoo, etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TBone said:

Can someone help me out here please, what funding are we talking about here?

Central funding from the TV deals..

10 hours ago, Havenwarrior said:

HW

Source?

Well this idea seems quite moronic... I know, let's punish clubs for having less fans, or at least thats what it seems like. As someone said further up, it could be a way of getting more people signed up to the app I suppose, if it was well publicised that that was the case anyway. How would you do that though? 

The only people that are ever going to know about this are really hardcore fans, the people that come on these forums as an example, but if you're a real hardcore fan then there is a good chance that you already have the app, which is complete excrement in my opinion anyway. 

• Like 1

We seem to be lacking a lot of detail on this, but then, when has that ever stopped us?

1. It has been mentioned on here that the game should be actively using social media 

2. There seems to be a plan to incentivise clubs to do just that.

3. As in all things in our game, it's rubbish.

• Haha 1

I was initially against this in an earlier thread when it was made out that the funding was entirely dependent on this. However I don't mind it if it is just a few percent but would like it more conditional on the said club improving its own online presence than doing the RFL's job for them.

I think making sections of the funding conditional on certain areas and targets being met is a great idea generally. Youth development, community work, marketing etc VB should all be part of the criteria, particularly so in Super League. Meet whatever criteria for that area and you get that portion of the funding.

There’s better criteria to judge teams off than how many people support a club. For example, teams with multiple youth and reserve setup’s should be looked upon more favourable than those who don’t, in my opinion. 

It's an absolute joke. Several of our clubs have complained to us about it but I kindly pointed them in the direction of 'Up Work' where you can get a nice Bangladeshi chap to register thousands of accounts for you for around $30 as well as 5000 twitter followers for $25.

Hemel Stags could easily end up with 25,000 registered fans on the Our League App and the RFL will realise what a pathetic idea this was.

Let us not worry abut community links, academy set up, on pitch performances etc. Nah, just give them funding based on how many friends and family they can get to register for something they will never ever use!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkey Lover said:

It's an absolute joke. Several of our clubs have complained to us about it but I kindly pointed them in the direction of 'Up Work' where you can get a nice Bangladeshi chap to register thousands of accounts for you for around $30 as well as 5000 twitter followers for $25.

Hemel Stags could easily end up with 25,000 registered fans on the Our League App and the RFL will realise what a pathetic idea this was.

Let us not worry abut community links, academy set up, on pitch performances etc. Nah, just give them funding based on how many friends and family they can get to register for something they will never ever use!!

Beat me too it.

Why not state, 50k of the funding you receive must be spent on an academy, if you don't run an academy you don't get the 50k. That will certainly get teams pushing in the right direction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I was initially against this in an earlier thread when it was made out that the funding was entirely dependent on this. However I don't mind it if it is just a few percent but would like it more conditional on the said club improving its own online presence than doing the RFL's job for them.

I think making sections of the funding conditional on certain areas and targets being met is a great idea generally. Youth development, community work, marketing etc VB should all be part of the criteria, particularly so in Super League. Meet whatever criteria for that area and you get that portion of the funding.

If if is just a few per cent... then what's the point. 

I thought it wasn't withholding payment but an additional top up for clubs hitting the thresholds on social media?

15 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

this the old idea to use social media followers as a % of funding received to promote better in house marketing? I believe it only affected 2-3% of the total funding so actually not a bad idea to get some of the slackers to do something as it's an online world now...so if you're not inline...you don't exist in the majority of the worlds eyes.

Im not sure which social media networks are being considered here, but I can set up both a Facebook and Twitter account this evening and have 80k followers within the week. 

I doubt the RFL in their absolute buffoonery would have any idea on how simple it is to gain illegitimate social media followers, let alone administer this initiative with even the slightest inkling of marketing nous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

If if is just a few per cent... then what's the point. 

To encourage clubs to do it