Sign in to follow this  
SL17

Youth

Without it we have no game. Can we see the culture of the game investing in the most major part of our sport?

• Like 2

Should it be part of the culture of RL to invest in youth? Definitely! Will it be a priority for financially hard pressed clubs? Hmmm, maybe not, unless it is a criteria for getting funding.

I am aware that some of the ‘lower league’ clubs are doing good things in this regard. Maybe the RFL should publish a league table of club investment in youth so that we can all see who are the real contributors in this important area.

Edited by TBone
  • Like 1

Agree with that, just as long as it is a genuine point, not just designed to put SuperLeague clubs in a bad light. 

Of course it should be part of the culture and it is a part that has been badly neglected. The youth of tomorrow are our next generation of players, referees and fans and need to be attracted to the game. 

• Like 2

I am aware that some of the Super League clubs are doing good things in this regard. Maybe the RFL should publish a league table of club investment in youth so that we can all see who are the real contributors in this important area.

I would imagine by far the biggest investors in youth are the amateur clubs up and down the country along with all the volunteer coaches and parents who invest a lot of their time and effort. I would hazard a guess that every pound spent on youth development at amateur level goes a lot further than each pound spent at professional clubs, with this in mind a little bit more support for those clubs could reap far greater dividends after all virtually every professional in the game will have started at such a club

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Agree with that, just as long as it is a genuine point, not just designed to put SuperLeague clubs in a bad light. 

I'm a Leigh supporter, and I'm not amused that all SL clubs pumped up 40k each to create a parachute payment,that ended up not having a parachute.

Now my question is? If its so easy to get £40k a piece from them all why can't they invest that in youth each year?

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I'm a Leigh supporter, and I'm not amused that all SL clubs pumped up 40k each to create a parachute payment,that ended up not having a parachute.

Now my question is? If its so easy to get £40k a piece from them all why can't they invest that in youth each year?

I think that this shows that it isn't all about money, and it is more about what they feel is the right area to invest in. I'm not convinced parachute payments are the way to go by the way, I'd rather have a player fund which can help those who lose jobs.

Thought this was a thread about the old Killing Joke bassist...I,ll get my coat!

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I am aware that some of the Super League clubs are doing good things in this regard. Maybe the RFL should publish a league table of club investment in youth so that we can all see who are the real contributors in this important area.

I have been involved in an Amateur NCL club with most youth age groups for over 15 years we have had no investment from either the Pro clubs or the RFL apart from the odd player coming to an organised training night or presentation evening. Trust me the amateur clubs mostly fund themselves, the Pro clubs take players at 15/16 and then make a big thing about youth development and how they are doing great things

• Like 3

Should therefor the pro and semi pro clubs pay transfer fees?

They did pay a signing on fee for all players signed from an amateur club, as I am no longer on the committee I ain’t sure of the figure now but I seem to think £200 springs to mind but I am willing to be corrected

1 hour ago, Defender1 said:

They did pay a signing on fee for all players signed from an amateur club, as I am no longer on the committee I ain’t sure of the figure now but I seem to think £200 springs to mind but I am willing to be corrected

I think its £500.

I will ask our club secretary don’t think it’s as much as £500 but I may be wrong unless it differs by area, there was also if he played for one club the went to another then was on scholarship both got something 

The Huddersfield Giants supporters association presented a cheque for £14,000 that we've raised throughout the season to Ken Davy on Thursday for youth development.

Our academy team are playing in a semi final today for the first time ever at Wigan/Orrell and will have good support there.

We don't have money to throw at it like other clubs so rely on fundraising to run our youth sides, 

Great effort by everyone, let's hope we can do the impossible and beat Wigan and reach a grand final, it would be ridiculous if we did!

• Like 5

Just now, meast said:

The Huddersfield Giants supporters association presented a cheque for £14,000 that we've raised throughout the season to Ken Davy on Thursday for youth development.

Our academy team are playing in a semi final today for the first time ever at Wigan/Orrell and will have good support there.

We don't have money to throw at it like other clubs so rely on fundraising to run our youth sides, 

Great effort by everyone, let's hope we can do the impossible and beat Wigan and reach a grand final, it would be ridiculous if we did!

That is fantastic and let the RFL take note.

i have just had confirmation the figure used to be £500 but the SL clubs said they could not afford it and it is now £100 but only if they make a Pro appearance, nothing for gaining a scholarship, not sure what the figure is for Championship clubs

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I have been involved in an Amateur NCL club with most youth age groups for over 15 years we have had no investment from either the Pro clubs or the RFL apart from the odd player coming to an organised training night or presentation evening. Trust me the amateur clubs mostly fund themselves, the Pro clubs take players at 15/16 and then make a big thing about youth development and how they are doing great things

This massively. The scary thing for me is there is murmurs of clubs starting to run under 13s/14s. That will totally kill junior rugby off. Giving kids too many dreams of stardom far too young for a tracksuit. It just seems the RFL are more intent on alienating kids. The amount of kids that dont make it after being in academies etc then drift away from the game is massive and what do they do about it? Let clubs start running younger scholarships! Absolutely mental

59 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

This massively. The scary thing for me is there is murmurs of clubs starting to run under 13s/14s. That will totally kill junior rugby off. Giving kids too many dreams of stardom far too young for a tracksuit. It just seems the RFL are more intent on alienating kids. The amount of kids that dont make it after being in academies etc then drift away from the game is massive and what do they do about it? Let clubs start running younger scholarships! Absolutely mental

I refer the contributors of this thread to my ' Academies , to be or not to be ' thread , where I suggested that non SL clubs should be focussing on player participation between ages 6-16 rather than acadenies

Clubs already ' run ' 13/14s via scholarships and ' super ' amateur teams at thir apointed feeder clubs , but you are right there is far too much club association at too early an age , creating elitism

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I refer the contributors of this thread to my ' Academies , to be or not to be ' thread , where I suggested that non SL clubs should be focussing on player participation between ages 6-16 rather than acadenies

Clubs already ' run ' 13/14s via scholarships and ' super ' amateur teams at thir apointed feeder clubs , but you are right there is far too much club association at too early an age , creating elitism

So called “Feeder” clubs are another blight, come to us and we will get you on scholarship is a disgrace 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I will ask our club secretary don’t think it’s as much as £500 but I may be wrong unless it differs by area, there was also if he played for one club the went to another then was on scholarship both got something 

Disgraceful. If they just used 5% of the Sky funding to support the future of the game is a small price to pay. But these men can't see any further than the end of their nose's.

We need youth set ups to bring these players forward but we also need reserve set ups so they dont give up at 18 or 19.  Halifax reserve set up has brought a number of players through to 1st team level. Chester Butler last year and this year Sion Jones a 20 year old prop has played 12 1st team games including games against Hull KR, Widnes and this week Leeds Rhinos.  Connor Davies has also played against Hull KR Widnes and Leeds this week,. if it wasn't for the Halifax reserve side who would know where these boys would be playing.

48 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

We need youth set ups to bring these players forward but we also need reserve set ups so they dont give up at 18 or 19.  Halifax reserve set up has brought a number of players through to 1st team level. Chester Butler last year and this year Sion Jones a 20 year old prop has played 12 1st team games including games against Hull KR, Widnes and this week Leeds Rhinos.  Connor Davies has also played against Hull KR Widnes and Leeds this week,. if it wasn't for the Halifax reserve side who would know where these boys would be playing.

I agree they have played 1st grade but at what expense to the amateur club where they all came from, has their original team folded as they can no longer raise a team. New tracksuit for 2-3 players can mean no team for 17-20 ex teammates 

9 hours ago, stevevalerugby said:

With respect we have no shortage of Championship players , it is SL where the problem is [ if we are to believe the ' experts ' in the game ] , the SL academies will produce plenty of players for the lower tiers

If these lads leave Fax in a couple of years and move on to SL ' job done ' , I'm sure you'll be happy to see that for the good of the game

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Defender1 said:

That is fantastic and let the RFL take note.

i have just had confirmation the figure used to be £500 but the SL clubs said they could not afford it and it is now £100 but only if they make a Pro appearance, nothing for gaining a scholarship, not sure what the figure is for Championship clubs

£500 seems like good value to me. Make it £5k and SL clubs could not complain, in my view.