Sign in to follow this  
Tim Streets tache

Attendance Obsessives....

2 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

On this very forum pal. 

Isn't hard to find

Oh right. Can you quickly find 2 or more posters saying the league table should be decided by average attendance? Shouldn't take you too long if it isn't hard to find

4 minutes ago, Gorbals said:

Oh right. Can you quickly find 2 or more posters saying the league table should be decided by average attendance? Shouldn't take you too long if it isn't hard to find

Better things to do....

Wigan Athletic are playing Bristol City tonight. Gonna go and check out how many empty seats there are.

It was metaphorical, i really don't believe you didn't think it was......Plenty of folk calling for Salford to be relegated due to their attendances alone and you know very well that you've seen it!

Edited by Tim Streets tache

I honestly haven't seen such a thing!

Be surprised if Wigan get 5 figures tonight. Doubt Bristol C will bring more than a few hundred. I read a forum dedicated to away attendances in the second tier of English football and it's 2 years old and over 500 pages long!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You tell me how many sports are successful with no fans? Attendance figures are seen by many people as a temperature check for the health of the game. I agree it's not quite as black and white as that but there is certainly a correlation that can be drawn. 

Test cricket 

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

Test cricket 

Does test cricket not get decent crowds?

Some test matches I see can get around a hundred thousand for the match.

26 minutes ago, Copa said:

Test cricket 

Surely picking only one specific aspect of a sport is like saying SOO or a Grand Final for Rugby League.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Is there any other sport where fans are more obsessed with attendances than Rugby League??? I find it really bizarre. Look at any sort of debate.... forums....social media etc. You'll always see crowds brought up. I seriously think that some fans would rather have a large attendance than win a game! 

I work with a fella who gets the League Express every Monday and reads out the attendances before the scores! 

Very, very weird mentality. Clubs make very little on the gate compared to the tv deal- lots of fans find this hard to fathom! 

Spot on, it's utterly pathetic a real chip on our shoulder northern thing. So long as a club can pay it's way and the product is good then who cares. Club attendances are always in flux depending on the relative strength of the team at the time. What 'modern' RL fans don't seem to grasp is that there will always be winners and losers and the losers won't have the support the winners do.

46 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Anybody know what was the Huddersfield attendance was last night

Ant,  GiantStrides, Lee who used to post on here, and Padge.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Bournemouth had ten thousand on Monday in the fabled Premier league and there was no mention of it in the press or TV, on here we would have over fifty pages on a thread. 

Mind you that is close to capacity...

mmmm get your point but given that Bournemouth plan to build a new and bigger capacity stadium may one would suggest it is important to them and an important revenue stream they want to increase. They themselves no doubt pay a lot of attention to stadium attendance and potential future attendance in designing the new stadium.

I am sure if we had near capacity attendance the discussions would be slightly different.

Edited by redjonn

4 hours ago, Number 16 said:

The number of RL fans who are obsessed with attendance figures is down 15% on last season.

87.5% of statistics are made up on the spot. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Mind you that is close to capacity...

mmmm get your point but given that Bournemouth plan to build a new and bigger capacity stadium may one would suggest it is important to them and an important revenue stream they want to increase. They themselves no doubt pay a lot of attention to stadium attendance and potential future attendance in designing the new stadium.

I am sure if we had near capacity attendance the discussions would be slightly different.

Whether all the points are relative doesn't matter because all I was showing that RL fans would concentrate on the attendance or ticket sales first in any circumstances which other sports don't. Attendance levels are important for any sports but not the most important. 

Rugby league was arguably founded on gates and gate receipts so maybe that is something to do with it.

It does matter if they are tens of thousands of empty seats in front of the TV cameras - hello Huddersfield! - because it gives the impression that no one gives a sh!t. Not good for potential sponsors, TV rights deals etc 

• Like 2

Who amongst the paying spectators -the Sky subscibers, I mean, ( as they possibly outumber the ones inside the ground by a factor of say 50 ) was going to go to the game anyway?

2 hours ago, jpmc said:

Anybody know what was the Huddersfield attendance was last night

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Rugby league was arguably founded on gates and gate receipts so maybe that is something to do with it.

It does matter if they are tens of thousands of empty seats in front of the TV cameras - hello Huddersfield! - because it gives the impression that no one gives a sh!t. Not good for potential sponsors, TV rights deals etc 

The Huddersfield stadium however is far too big the Giants needs. It will always look empty.  Pretty much all SL teams would be quite suitable with a 15k stadium, tops (10-12 really), with the odd one needing 18.  6 to 10 for a well fun championship side.

Of course every now and again some capacity constraints apply, but overwhelmingly there is not a need for larger numbers. Look again in 20 years (if say building now) and consider any stands, but not now.

The great millstone on most if not all rugby league clubs is the grounds. 

• Like 3

I do understand why some Rugby League are a little obsessive about attendances and it's reflection on the popularity of the sport.

I also understand the viewpoint that the game is what matters and obsessing about the attendance is unhealthy.

What I don't understand is why some Rugby League fans laugh when a Rugby League team posts a low attendance.  With friends like this etc.

• Like 2

Predicting 8 400-8 500  for the game at Lamport on Saturday between Wolfpack and Widnes.

7 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Attendance figures are good for test cricket in England so that's wrong. 

Crowds are generally appalling in Australia outside of specific matches that have cultural pull. Most people have to work. It’s still popular though as they follow  via the radio or online. When Australia played South Africa in Durban they got around 4000 in to watch so it’s happening in other parts of the cricket world too. Just 54 people attend England v Pakistan in the UAE a few years ago.

Edited by Copa

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Does test cricket not get decent crowds?

Some test matches I see can get around a hundred thousand for the match.

Those matches are exceptional. England v Pakistan had a crowd of 54 a few years back in the UAE. That’s the direction of test cricket.