Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

Qualifiers: Squeaky Bum Time!

27 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Write Fax off at your peril. They ALWAYS give us a very tight game. The notion we are going to pump them is bonkers. Granted we played very well against Salford, but lets not forget the fact we are effectively operating on one half back and a lock playing hooker. With Cunningham, Pewparangi, S Davis, Meadows and Harrison out for the season we are being really stretched. 

Rumoured that Pewhairangi may recover for the Halifax game. Will be an enormous if true. Unplayable on his day as TWP found out early in the season. 

Looking at this as a Salford fan, if we lose to Toulouse next Thursday, which is not unlikely, then I expect us to be in the mpg, as I expect that Toronto will beat Leeds. Leeds have nothing to play for and Toronto will be playing for a place in Super League. It will all become much clearer after Salford v Toulouse on Thursday.

I have an awful feeling that Toroto will beat Leeds and still not make the top 3 given Hull KR’s advantage of playing last and knowing exactly how many to win by

15 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Looking at this as a Salford fan, if we lose to Toulouse next Thursday, which is not unlikely, then I expect us to be in the mpg, as I expect that Toronto will beat Leeds. Leeds have nothing to play for and Toronto will be playing for a place in Super League. It will all become much clearer after Salford v Toulouse on Thursday.

I didn't even think of that. Thought it would have been harder for Salford to fall into the MPG but looking at it again, there's a good chance of it. 

They'd play either Toulouse (who would have just beaten them at home anyway) or London at home (who they have just lost to, albeit away from home). 

If Toronto don't win though, there's a good chance they could miss out altogether! 

Another amazing scenario would be Toulouse win by 55 points, Toronto and Halifax win and Hull KR lose a tight match.

The Million Pound Game would then be Salford v HKR!

There are variations on this, London could win a thriller but HKR still stay in the MPG, if the combined points difference swing from HKR to London in the Halifax and Widnes games is less than 15.

The more you look at the permutations the more you realise that it's really not fair all of the matches not taking place at the same time.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5

So we are looking at  4 mini MPG games this weekend aren't we. the fact everyone wants to win by a large score should also make it an entertaining showpiece for those in antecedence. What games are being televised?

16 hours ago, Damien said:

The more you look at the permutations the more you realise that it's really not fair all of the matches not taking place at the same time.

If Toulouse beat Salford on Thursday, Leeds are safe which really could affect how the game goes on Friday and mean Hull KR don't need to hammer Widnes just beat them on Sunday, they should have had all the last round played at the same time.

As a Leeds fan even though realistically we should be fine I still can't go and watch the game relaxed (if Salford beat Toulouse that is) I can see Toronto beating us but not by a 32 point margin, if we score a couple first this makes it even harder for The Wolfpack.

Football, in particular, spotted the problem of having different kick off times in critical games over 30 years ago.

Leeds, being at home on the last day of the season, will want to finish the season on some sort of high after what has been a poor year for them and Toronto haven't played well in England in these qualifiers so I think Leeds will win, but if Toronto do win then it won"t be by much so if we post a big scoreline on Widnes we should overtake them. 

We will beat Widnes as they have been awful all year and I imagine will be mentally done for now.

Nefarious as it may seem I can see a basically safe Leeds losing to Toronto to throw KR or Salford into some real trouble.

On the one hand I think all these games should be played at the same time. However I can see how by having them spread out we can have 3 live massively meaningful games on this weekend which is also great.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Leeds, being at home on the last day of the season, will want to finish the season on some sort of high after what has been a poor year for them and Toronto haven't played well in England in these qualifiers so I think Leeds will win, but if Toronto do win then it won"t be by much so if we post a big scoreline on Widnes we should overtake them. 

We will beat Widnes as they have been awful all year and I imagine will be mentally done for now.

Also as bad as we have been we haven't lost by more than 11 points at home (and that was to an inform Warrington) and most of our home losses have been very close (1-3 points loss) so we should be OK, but you never know with this years Leeds side.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Nefarious as it may seem I can see a basically safe Leeds losing to Toronto to throw KR or Salford into some real trouble.

On the one hand I think all these games should be played at the same time. However I can see how by having them spread out we can have 3 live massively meaningful games on this weekend which is also great.

Leeds need to sell some season tickets so need to finish the season well

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leeds need to sell some season tickets so need to finish the season well

Thats obviously true too. I'm not sure how big an impact winning this would have though. 

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats obviously true too. I'm not sure how big an impact winning this would have though. 

Its more the impact getting hammered would have

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I would argue the 3 games played before the Rovers game will miss the excitement of knowing their status immediately after the game.

So even if Toronto win on Friday they’ll have to wait until Sunday thus no celebrations on the night (they might have to play in the MPG!)

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, Lobbygobbler said:

I have an awful feeling that Toroto will beat Leeds and still not make the top 3 given Hull KR’s advantage of playing last and knowing exactly how many to win by

Just because they will know how many they need to win by doesn't mean they will be able to do it.

14 minutes ago, MZH said:

Just because they will know how many they need to win by doesn't mean they will be able to do it.

It usually does. And if Rovers did lose, the other advantage they have is that they can rest players if Toronto, Toulouse and London lost. Infact it could end up being a dead rubber

19 minutes ago, MZH said:

No, but knowing that you have to win by 2 or 22 will have a significant effect on your tactics. 

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

No, but knowing that you have to win by 2 or 22 will have a significant effect on your tactics. 

Thats true, but it can work the other way. You can start pushing things too far in a bid to make up the points before the game is won, and you can end up losing everything. They need to win the game first and foremost.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MZH said:

Thats true, but it can work the other way. You can start pushing things too far in a bid to make up the points before the game is won, and you can end up losing everything. They need to win the game first and foremost.

In my experience that’s usually what happens in RL. When they need to win by x number of points teams tend to go away from playing and end up trying to score on every play. Football is very different with teams being able to put 11 men behind the ball in an attempt to close the game out you can’t do that in RL. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

It usually does. And if Rovers did lose, the other advantage they have is that they can rest players if Toronto, Toulouse and London lost. Infact it could end up being a dead rubber

If Toronto, Toulouse and London lose then Hull KR could still be in 4th depending on the severity of defeats. I don't think sundays game can get to the point that its a dead rubber, Hull KR will either need to win by more than X, or could possibly lose by less than X and stay up, or get in the MPG.

They'll know by sunday what it is they need to do, but they will absolutely need to do something because it cant be a dead rubber given the current table and matches this weekend.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, Lobbygobbler said:

As we keep saying... a brilliant system.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, Terance Brook said:

Toronto will get battered next Friday Leeds willwin by over 30 points

Well, they can certainly lose (TWP that is). A lot depends on how well they can focus and organise themselves. Leeds ought to get a victory.