Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Comcast wins right to buy Sky - implications for SL?

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Will literally not make an ounce of difference - Comcast are not going to have anything to do with this. Sky will still have all the same structure it does now, just a new body to answer to at the very top of the pile.

That seems rather naïve, if I may say so. They have paid £30bn, which is said to be somewhat over the odds. They will find ways to cut costs, same as with any other takeover.

If Super League is as great value as it is touted to be on here, then I suppose there is nothing to be worried about. If...

Edited by Man of Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DavidM said:

I wonder what they think of Baz n Tez ?

To be fair, Comcast produces Wallace and Gromit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

That seems rather naïve, if I may say so. They have paid £30bn, which is said to be somewhat over the odds. They will find ways to cut costs, same as with any other takeover.

If Super League is as great value as it is touted to be on here, then I suppose there is nothing to be worried about. If...

Not naive at all. If you think Comcast are going to get involved in the day to day operational side of their purchase, i'd suggest that is naive. They're too high level for that. If Sky decide SL isn't financially beneficial to their portfolio then that's a different matter, but any changes won't be anything to do with this takeover. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the question, first you have to understand what CC have bought. The overwhelming majority of the £30bn is the price for access to the Sky subscribers and the platform infrastructure that goes with that (it wouldn't surprise me if this also includes patents on proprietary digital technology that Sky owns). Secondly, is the Sky brand. A distant third would be the current broadcasting contracts that Sky has with football, F1, Cricket, RU and RL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gluedo said:

To answer the question, first you have to understand what CC have bought. The overwhelming majority of the £30bn is the price for access to the Sky subscribers and the platform infrastructure that goes with that (it wouldn't surprise me if this also includes patents on proprietary digital technology that Sky owns). Secondly, is the Sky brand. A distant third would be the current broadcasting contracts that Sky has with football, F1, Cricket, RU and RL. 

I'd agree with that; sports contracts only last a few years, and Sky can sometimes get outbid. Paying £30 billion on something as transient as that isn't a wise tactic. The real money is, as Gluedo said, in the more permanent parts of the Sky operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'd agree with that; sports contracts only last a few years, and Sky can sometimes get outbid. Paying £30 billion on something as transient as that isn't a wise tactic. The real money is, as Gluedo said, in the more permanent parts of the Sky operation.

Agreed the platform is the biggest attraction. However, don't underestimate the ownership of European rights to premium american content and high value European content such as Premier League, etc. These guys see Amazon and Netflix as major competitors. They see Sky as a real jewel because it brings the platform, access to existing content and a high quality (apparently) News division and of course it is also selling broadband and mobiles.

BTW at a cost of £30bn Sky is worth more than NBCUniversal (market cap est at around $30bn) which Comcast also owns. To put this in perspective the estimated market cap of Comcast is around $200bn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 September 2018 at 7:43 AM, JohnM said:

Thats more like it! 😀😀😀

Here a thought. The ownership of Sky will chsnge. Maybe the Directors/VPs will change. Maybe everyone else, though, will remain. Maybe Comcast have bought Sky because Sky is in fact doing pretty well already and Comcast want/need a slice of the action outside the US.

In fact, with the Comcast take over, maybe it increases our value because of their global reach.

Still, we are right to worry for the following reason: we are rugby league fans and the end is nigh. Woe, woe, three time woe.

Its " Thrice " not three

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Its " Thrice " not three

Flat -capper. 😀😀😀😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Well, I would hope so but American companies tend to be ruthless on costs.

We don't know what Comcast will want to do, for example, with the Sky Sports channels. They may want to focus on football, cricket, F1 etc and bin off Action and Arena if it is deemed to be cost-effective/non-dedicated channel content is not sufficiently profitable.

I'm not trying to be a doom-monger, these are genuine questions regarding the TV deal post-2021... 

They will want to encourage viewers to watch all their channels (and not just sport) rather than watch Eastenders and Question of Sport.

Won't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TBone said:

it is also selling broadband and mobiles.

 

 

Totally different businesses which will likely be nothing to do with this acquisition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gluedo said:

 

Totally different businesses which will likely be nothing to do with this acquisition. 

Maybe not the major concern but...

FT article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Its behind the FT paywall

 

 

9 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Most Sky content is 

(That's the joke...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should Toronto continue to prove a success and NYC for example do come along, does Comcast’s ownership of NBC provide a good opportunity? They already have RU, so a bundled Rugby package may be attractive? Or does it limit or opportunities to tender to the whole NA market? Probably no more if you assume a Sky/ Fox tie in might have been a limitation. So given the chance of a NA Rugby bundle (with none of the prejudice they have here), Id probably suggest a positive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not naive at all. If you think Comcast are going to get involved in the day to day operational side of their purchase, i'd suggest that is naive. They're too high level for that. If Sky decide SL isn't financially beneficial to their portfolio then that's a different matter, but any changes won't be anything to do with this takeover. 

You can almost guarantee that they will put there 'own' people into positions at the top of the organisation - that may be sooner or later, but they will get involved in the operation of the business, however broadly or generally they set targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You can almost guarantee that they will put there 'own' people into positions at the top of the organisation - that may be sooner or later, but they will get involved in the operation of the business, however broadly or generally they set targets.

I've no doubt over time they'll bring new people and that broad targets will be set, but lets remember this isn't a rescue takeover where wholesale changes need to be made - quite the opposite in fact. They've spent 30 billion because they can see what Sky are doing, from TV rights to technology, is dominating the European broadcast market and they want to own that pie. So going back to the OP I see very little, if any, impact from the takeover - like I said before any changes will be because of the direction Sky think they need to move in....whatever that may be. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoneslessBishop said:

So given the chance of a NA Rugby bundle (with none of the prejudice they have here), Id probably suggest a positive 

1

 

Not sure what prejudice RL suffers from Sky - they show far more of it than RU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here