Sign in to follow this  
Hvy wg

Toulouse robbed of promotion?

Recommended Posts

With them facing Salford and London having to play Halifax, it is likely Toulouse won't feature in the MPG despite having won against KR and robbed of two points at Toronto, two clubs likely to gain promotion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

With them facing Salford and London having to play Halifax, it is likely Toulouse won't feature in the MPG despite having won against KR and robbed of two points at Toronto, two clubs likely to gain promotion.

 

They definitely were, but from what I heard they blew another 4-8 points, so maybe that isn’t the entire story.

They are definitely a side on par with lower SL, especially with better funding possible now with a top 4 Championship finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah even a point out of last week would have put them in position. They need to recruit some forwards in off season and there a big chance to go up.

Working the numbers they need miracle results to go there way to get there including widnes beating hull kr and halifax beating london

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Toronto fan, but I agree they were robbed. Unfortunately, that is the nature of sport and there are countless examples of it across many sports. The linesman can't instantly see the freeze frame of the non-try on social media like us, it happens very quickly in real time.

Edited by ojx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not robbed .Hard done to Poor  game  management  in Toronto , despite the bad call .

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, winnyason said:

William barthau can be blamed like ben hunt.

Well if we're playing that game ? , Barthau virtually single handed ripped Leigh to shreds in their match at the LSV 5 games in , without that win Toulouse wouldnt have been in the middle 8s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This can only be accepted as true if you go back through every single toulouse game this season and look at every decision that went there way and weigh up whether it would have effected their final league position. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Well if we're playing that game ? , Barthau virtually single handed ripped Leigh to shreds in their match at the LSV 5 games in , without that win Toulouse wouldnt have been in the middle 8s

Just saying the guys brillant but simply not reliable to perform at same level. How about the cross field kick in world cup v Lebanon in there own 20. Yes he flamboyant player in that french style. But he missed a sitter of kick and threw ball into touch when they had 3 tackles on wolfpak line. I have no doubt they keep this squad plus recruit some decent forwards there favourites to go up next season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Toulouse don't go up, it will end up being by the finest of margins and they will count themselves unlucky. But no one decision robs you of promotion: it didn't even rob them of the game in question. They had plenty of opportunities to draw/win that game and came up just short. It happens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem TO face next week is that Salford have something to play for. One possible scenario is that all the teams with something still to play for prevail over those who have (or are likely to have in Leeds’ case) nothing to play for. On that basis, HKR, Toronto and London all win, but TO miss out because a Hastings inspired Salford desperate for a win is likely to prevail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkw said:

This can only be accepted as true if you go back through every single toulouse game this season and look at every decision that went there way and weigh up whether it would have effected their final league position.

Or every good or bad individual performance as I've highlighted

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve not been robbed of anything.

I’m not sure what their win against Hull KR has to do with anything. London have beaten two Super League sides in Salford and Widnes and won away at Toulouse and may not go up. Is that not a better achievement than Toulouse’s? 

Over the course of a year these incidents will even themselves out, however the incident at Toronto was televised, whereas most of the Toulouse games aren’t, so we can’t discuss whether they’ve been robbed in some games or have robbed other sides in games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Toulouse would have kicked the drop goal instead of going for the try, I think the table would look like this:

1. Salford       8
2. Leeds         8
3. Hull KR       8
- - - - 
4.  Toronto     7
5. Toulouse    7
- - - - 
6. London      6
7. Widnes      2
8. Halifax      0

The final week of the qualifiers could have been even more crazy that it already is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First and foremost they have to focus on what they can control.

In that game against Toronto, with the scores level, they missed a vital conversion you'd expect to get and then produced some inexplicable game management when opting to throw the ball wide (and ultimately in to touch) from what was already good drop goal position with another tackle still in the bank.

Even if that pass had been straight to hand, unless it ended in a try, they'd have had a lot of work to do to get in drop goal position for the last tackle. Instead they could have gone for the drop goal on that play, or perhaps better still, used it to quite easily shift themselves bang in front of the sticks for the last.

Either way, it would have been a play you'd expect to execute successfully from there.

As for the calls that went against them, whether or not they were robbed depends on whether you think that description is fitting for honest mistakes, but I thought they got the rough end of the wedge on a few key moments over the course of the game, not just the non-grounded try.

Had Toulouse won that day they'd now be odds on to at least make the MPG and Toronto would now be odds on to miss out altogether, wheras now it's the exact opposite.

I now expect Toronto go up as winners of a home MPG. If they do they'll no doubt concede, privately if not publicly, that some unearned good fortune from the officials played a big part in that, and Toulouse may reflect on how the opposite is true for them. But neither side can do anything about that, before, during, or after the game. What they'd both be better reflecting on is how much better Toronto's game management was in the closing stages of that match because that is something they can influence if presented with a similar situation in the future.

On such fine margins seasons can turn when you get this close to the climax.

Edited by Yakkers
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided to add another trophy to Workington honours list, the 1993 premiership final. Because Paul newline definitely didn't ground that ball for a try, and he told me so (sort of). And we would definitely have won then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dkw said:

I've decided to add another trophy to Workington honours list, the 1993 premiership final. Because Paul newline definitely didn't ground that ball for a try, and he told me so (sort of). And we would definitely have won then. 

A bloke in my local says he'll let you have that if Oldham can have the 1990 Challenge Cup. Had it not been for an errant forward pass call in the semi it would have been a mere formality that the goal was kicked from the touchline followed by a couple of tries in extra time and the thrashing of Wigan in the final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

If Toulouse would have kicked the drop goal instead of going for the try, I think the table would look like this:

1. Salford       8
2. Leeds         8
3. Hull KR       8
- - - - 
4.  Toronto     7
5. Toulouse    7
- - - - 
6. London      6
7. Widnes      2
8. Halifax      0

The final week of the qualifiers could have been even more crazy that it already is!

Chris you do understand the notion of every action then impacting on every other action in the future I assume? This sort of stuff always amuses me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Yakkers said:

A bloke in my local says he'll let you have that if Oldham can have the 1990 Challenge Cup. Had it not been for an errant forward pass call in the semi it would have been a mere formality that the goal was kicked from the touchline followed by a couple of tries in extra time and the thrashing of Wigan in the final.

Deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could go on for a long time ... English sport is built on being robbed , nearlies , what ifs and hard luck.  We can feel your pain French chappies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This could go on for a long time ... English sport is built on being robbed , nearlies , what ifs and hard luck.  We can feel your pain French chappies 

1977 World Cup anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here