Magic weekend set to stay in Toon

16 minutes ago, Rage said:

Personally I think it's time to move. Need a change. Newcastle has had Magic Weekend since 2015.

How about London?  (The Olympic Stadium)

There are no bars/pubs around the Olympic Stadium and its hard to get to. Ask any West Ham fan. 

I think it’s ok for internationals but not something like Magic

Would it be an idea to kick the event off with a Newcastle Thunder vs another League One side?  

If we want to use Magic to help generate more interest in the sport in the North East then it seems a no brainer that we should introduce curious locals to their team.

Also let’s have heritage round rather than the weird non traditional kits.

8 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

There are no bars/pubs around the Olympic Stadium and its hard to get to. Ask any West Ham fan. 

Happens I was just looking back through some old photos and came across one with me, and several others, in a big pub ten minutes' walk from the ground when England played NZ in 2015.

I won't even comment on 'hard to get to'. It is probably the most connected location in London.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I think it’s ok for internationals but not something like Magic

I also went to the England V New Zealand in 2015. It only took 10 minutes to walk from Stratford Tube station to the stadium. You can get to central London on the tube in 30 minutes (Loads of bars/pubs).

9 minutes ago, Rage said:

I also went to the England V New Zealand in 2015. It only took 10 minutes to walk from Stratford Tube station to the stadium. You can get to central London on the tube in 30 minutes (Loads of bars/pubs).

Whilst I agree on the accessibility etc, I think a more accurate thing would be the atmosphere around the ground. That is to say, compared to a Newcastle or a Cardiff, there is very little. 

As Magic is a full day or even weekend for some I think it needs to be something that feels concentrated and welcoming. The area around Olympic Park like the shopping centre also gives the impression that they don't want you there (as sports fans) at times, something which plenty of West Ham fans have pointed out on Social Media.

For comparison, I've been to big events at both Cardiff, Wembley and Olympic. Without a shadow of doubt Cardiff had a better atmosphere in the city as everyone was all in one place. That obviously comes with downsides but for an event like Magic its a similar scenario. In London things can feel very spread out.

26 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Would it be an idea to kick the event off with a Newcastle Thunder vs another League One side?  

If we want to use Magic to help generate more interest in the sport in the North East then it seems a no brainer that we should introduce curious locals to their team.

Also let’s have heritage round rather than the weird non traditional kits.

I've been saying the same for a while. If we can accommodate Toronto vs Toulouse at St James then we can surely get Newcastle Thunder in there. They've been doing some great work on and off the pitch. If York somehow cock things up and play in L1 again next season, I'd love to see Newcastle vs York at St James as the first match.

5 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

I've been saying the same for a while. If we can accommodate Toronto vs Toulouse at St James then we can surely get Newcastle Thunder in there. They've been doing some great work on and off the pitch. If York somehow cock things up and play in L1 again next season, I'd love to see Newcastle vs York at St James as the first match.

The flipside of this is that they get a bumper crowd (and revenue) on the game they host on the Friday.

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The flipside of this is that they get a bumper crowd (and revenue) on the game they host on the Friday.

Perhaps Newcastle Thunder could be offered a cut then of the revenue from Magic and also maybe consider the added exposure to new fans from the North East rather than taking the dollar from bored RL fans who happen to be up for the weekend.

10 hours ago, Rage said:

Personally I think it's time to move. Need a change. Newcastle has had Magic Weekend since 2015.

How about London?  (The Olympic Stadium)

Why?

Newcastle Thunder have just tweeted that once again the average attendance has risen, this time by 7% to 1,022 for the season. Clearly having the MW here the past few years has benefited the club enormously and has gone hand in hand with all the hard work going on behind the scenes to make the matchday experience at Kingston Park a really good one, which it is. Some brilliant prospects coming through the academy on today's evidence and along with the great season ticket offers for next season, and hopefully a promotion challenge, the club should continue to grow over the coming years.

Getting the RL World Cup up here wouldn't do any harm either! 

2 hours ago, chuffer said:

For a reason that escapes me, i no longer care!

Can we pinch your shirt design please?

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

1 hour ago, stevereed100 said:

Hard to believe but accommodation options and pricing much better in North East than London.

Have you booked for both Newcastle and Blackpool next year mate?

If not, make sure you can cancel whichever one you won't be attending.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

9 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Why?

To give another city a chance to host it. It doesn't have to be London. Newcastle has had it for 5 years now. Manchester had it for 3 years previously I think?. What about places like Sheffield or Birmingham? Hopefully you would get new people going.

Archived