Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Magic weekend set to stay in Toon

20 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Happens I was just looking back through some old photos and came across one with me, and several others, in a big pub ten minutes' walk from the ground when England played NZ in 2015.

I won't even comment on 'hard to get to'. It is probably the most connected location in London.

IT was the same nonsense when it was played in Edinburgh. People moaned that there were no pubs near the ground. There are, and it had the added benefit of huge space for fanzones.

I must admit, despite being one of Magic's biggest fans, I do think it needs freshening up, we shouldn't be staying in one ground for 5 years imho.

1 hour ago, Rage said:

To give another city a chance to host it. It doesn't have to be London. Newcastle has had it for 5 years now. Manchester had it for 3 years previously I think?. What about places like Sheffield or Birmingham? Hopefully you would get new people going.

Old Trafford has held the Grand Final since 1998 and Wembley has largely held the Cup Final since something like the 1920’s, do they need freshening up?

I think Magic has found its “home” so to speak. Newcastle is perfect for it. The ground is situated fantastically. It’s close to the city centre, hotels and the train station and fans seem to think it’s the best venue and ultimately, they’re the ones who matter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

IT was the same nonsense when it was played in Edinburgh. People moaned that there were no pubs near the ground. There are, and it had the added benefit of huge space for fanzones.

I must admit, despite being one of Magic's biggest fans, I do think it needs freshening up, we shouldn't be staying in one ground for 5 years imho.

No no no no no to Edinburgh. They don't take English pensioners bus passes. 😭😭😭😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I think Magic has found its “home” so to speak. Newcastle is perfect for it. The ground is situated fantastically. It’s close to the city centre, hotels and the train station and fans seem to think it’s the best venue and ultimately, they’re the ones who matter. 

An open letter from the south of England.

It comes down to the age old question of what Magic is and who it's for really IMO. If it's a day/weekend out for the fans in the bag, so to speak, then so be it.

If it's about evangelisation and showcasing the sport then keeping it in Newcastle is a bit daft unless someone can show the papertrail that led to a decision to a commit to evangelising Newcastle at the expense of everywhere else.

Which I would assume doesn't exist.

Put it this way, the people who go to Magic every year are still the same people who go to magic every year, plus people from Newcastle (presumably) who've been converted to it.

In the meantime, as someone who goes to 2-3 SL matches a year chosen pretty well at random, that's already 3 weekends a year going up north to watch rugby league. While Magic is in Newcastle, I won't be going. If it was in Coventry/Birmingham, wherever, I probably would. Ditto London. 

Like I say, *if* it's not about a treat for those in the bag, then committing to putting it year after year about as far from most of the population of England as possible is another genius decision from the sport that talks to itself and preaches to the converted more than any other in the UK.

And then wonders why people don't turn up outside the heartlands.

I was sucked into RL through a cackhanded expansion club that no longer exists (another great RL story), and it really does feel like the attitude of the RFL to anyone south of Sheffield could be summed up as "like us, like us, like us like, us like us - it's the best game in the world" followed in the same breath by "if you're not prepared to travel upwards of 3 hours to go to an elite game or 5 hours for magic you can go and whistle."* All because the game is most successful in places that it really woudn't be if the game was more successful generally across the country. Catch-22 and a half that one. Can't do anything that would threaten the elite clubs, when most of them aren't where you'd put them if you were starting from scratch. And then whingeing when the rest of the country seems indifferent. 

Thanks, yes - I do feel better now. Run by absolute clowns this sport.

*I just might, but I'm not going to Magic by myself because the slightly more uncommitted people in my circle of RL watchers down here certainly wouldn't be going with me. If it was south of the Trent, they might.

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

It comes down to the age old question of what Magic is and who it's for really IMO. If it's a day/weekend out for the fans in the bag, so to speak, then so be it.

If it's about evangelisation and showcasing the sport then keeping it in Newcastle is a bit daft unless someone can show the papertrail that led to a decision to a commit to evangelising Newcastle at the expense of everywhere else.

Put it this way, the people who go to Magic every year are still the same people who go to magic every year, plus people from Newcastle (presumably) who've been converted to it.

In the meantime, as someone who goes to 2-3 SL matches a year chosen pretty well at random, that's already 3 weekends a year going up north to watch rugby league. While Magic is in Newcastle, I won't be going. If it was in Coventry/Birmingham, wherever, I probably would. Ditto London. 

Like I say, *if* it's not about a treat for those in the bag, then committing to putting it year after year about as far from most of the population of England as possible is another genius decision from the sport that talks to itself and preaches to the converted more than any other in the UK.

I was sucked into RL through a cackhanded expansion club that no longer exists (another great RL story), and it really does feel like the attitude of the RFL to anyone south of Sheffield could be summed up as "like us, like us, like us like, us like us - it's the best game in the world" followed in the same breath by "if you're not prepared to travel upwards of 3 hours to go to an elite game or 5 hours for magic you can go and whistle."* All because the game is most successful in places that it really woudn't be if the game was more successful generally across the country. Catch-22 and a half that one. Can't do anything that would threaten the elite clubs, when most of them aren't where you'd put them if you were starting from scratch. And then whingeing when the rest of the country seems indifferent. 

*I just might, but I'm not going to Magic by myself because the slightly more uncommitted people in my circle of RL watchers down here certainly wouldn't be going with me. If it was south of the Trent, they might.

dunno why you have said south of sheffield... they have shafted us a number of times and do precious little to help us.. so you can draw that line a bit higher if you dont mind!

I love magic its a great weekend. Newcastle is a great city and the ground is in a great location in the city. I am not averse to moving it and will travel with my mates for the weekend as its a good reason to meet up too. however, they need to make sure anywhere it goes it has similar things ie the city is welcoming, the stadium is not miles away from the city/places to stay, room for a fan park etc. Therefore Coventry needs to be forgotten but there are plenty of other options (would love it in sheffield but Bramall Lane is too small and it would spoil my "weekend away")

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RP London said:

dunno why you have said south of sheffield... they have shafted us a number of times and do precious little to help us.. so you can draw that line a bit higher if you dont mind!

I love magic its a great weekend. Newcastle is a great city and the ground is in a great location in the city. I am not averse to moving it and will travel with my mates for the weekend as its a good reason to meet up too. however, they need to make sure anywhere it goes it has similar things ie the city is welcoming, the stadium is not miles away from the city/places to stay, room for a fan park etc. Therefore Coventry needs to be forgotten but there are plenty of other options (would love it in sheffield but Bramall Lane is too small and it would spoil my "weekend away")

indeed- sorry, happy to redraw the line into essentially a circle around the RFL building!

Coventry would have a different dynamic I suppose - more people able to get there and not need to stay, and all the hotels in Birmingham 10 mins away by train for everybody else. I don't want to make this about Coventry though, because I've lived within an hour of it for most of my life and been once!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

indeed- sorry, happy to redraw the line into essentially a circle around the RFL building!

Coventry would have a different dynamic I suppose - more people able to get there and not need to stay, and all the hotels in Birmingham 10 mins away by train for everybody else. I don't want to make this about Coventry though, because I've lived within an hour of it for most of my life and been once!

yeah that'll about do it.. 

problem for me with Coventry is having to rely on public transport immediately after the games where as you can go for a few around the town first before heading back to where you stay at other places.. but i think there are plenty of other options for the RFL to go at too, Newcastle is great and i can see why they keep it there but equally a bit of imagination and there are places to take it that can be as good... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Cool story. 

I live in Essex and I go to Magic. 

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Cool story. 

I live in Essex and I go to Magic. 

as with my post, the plural of anecdote is not data...

Good news imho. Magic has helped promote RL in the NE, I can't remember there been such an interest, more and more kids playing. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

as with my post, the plural of anecdote is not data...

There’s “elite” Rugby League every year in London, sometimes more than one occasion (World Cup in 2013 and other Internationals) and for nearly twenty years, there was a Super League team. It’s unfortuante that team no longer plays in Super League but that’s what happens with promotion and relegation, some teams have to go down. 

Just because it doesn’t suit you personally, doesn’t mean it doesn’t suit others. I’m willing to travel, as are many from the South, as are some from France. 

Moving the Weekend too far from its clubs is a bad idea, IMO. Rugby League is an expensive hobby as it is, especially if you’re into watching your side away (and it’s likely to get more expensive with Toronto and/or London possibly coming up) so moving the weekend to somewhere far from it’s roots will alienate the people clubs and the game should be looking after, it’s fans. 

Those who actually attend love the city, the ground and the reception they receive from the city, taking it away from where the fans want it is dangerous.

No destination is ideal for everyone, it never will be. There’s an old saying that you can’t please everyone all of the time and that you can please some of the people all of the time. There will always be someone who’s not happy. 

Yeah, it’s not ideal for me that St Helens is situated a good three and a half hour car journey away, it’s not ideal for me that most of our away games aren’t on a Saturday or a Sunday, making it harder for me to attend without eating into my annual leave and it’s not ideal that the other Super League teams are based as “locally” as Yorkshire. But I make it work. I want to make it work. 

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There’s “elite” Rugby League every year in London, sometimes more than one occasion (World Cup in 2013 and other Internationals) and for nearly twenty years, there was a Super League team. It’s unfortuante that team no longer plays in Super League but that’s what happens with promotion and relegation, some teams have to go down. 

absolutely no argument there whatsoever

Just because it doesn’t suit you personally, doesn’t mean it doesn’t suit others. I’m willing to travel, as are many from the South, as are some from France. 

sure, and I'm not arguing that it should suit me - I'm just a casual, as opposed to committed fan of the sport rather than any one club though. You can grow by getting in those fired by the zeal of the convert, or the casual punters wanting to have look. This plan plants the flag firmly in zeal of the convert territory *except* for such casual fans/never seen RL before people who either live close enough to wander up or fancy a random weekend in Newcastle. For clarity, even after 4 years of 3 SL games a year, and a couple of seasons where I went to all Oxford's home matches, I'm not convinced I want to go to a whole weekend of RL. That may well be my failing rather than the sport's...

Moving the Weekend too far from its clubs is a bad idea, IMO. Rugby League is an expensive hobby as it is, especially if you’re into watching your side away (and it’s likely to get more expensive with Toronto and/or London possibly coming up) so moving the weekend to somewhere far from it’s roots will alienate the people clubs and the game should be looking after, it’s fans. 

Sure, but then no one (that I know of) is suggesting Exeter. Most of the clubs can get to the West Midlands pretty well exactly as easily and in the same time as they can get to Newcastle, and London's not that much further.

Those who actually attend love the city, the ground and the reception they receive from the city,

Sure although that argument boils down to the unanswerable but definitely improvable if you want to grow the game "keeping it where it works for the people it currently works for will ensure it continues to work for the people it currently works for - anyone else that could go if it was somewhere else, well, we'll never know and aren't prepared to find out."

I'm sure I'd probably enjoy it when I got there too

taking it away from where the fans want it is dangerous.

Hang on, that right there sums up so much of what's wrong with this sport - "we're stuck in a limited geographical footprint, so we need to grow out of it, but we can't leave the limited footprint because no one will come, so we can't grow out of it, never mind it'll probably see me out - this is a local game...."

No destination is ideal for everyone, it never will be. There’s an old saying that you can’t please everyone all of the time and that you can please some of the people all of the time. There will always be someone who’s not happy. 

absolutely, and as someone who grows national and international brands for a living, there's nothing wrong with the comfort blanket defend-what-we've-got positioning (apart from it being professionally dull) - but let no one be under any illusions that the strategy is anything other than that. This is symptomatic of the wider strategy for RL being to keep it patched up and on the road - not growing, not changing, not interested beyond a few more £20 bums on seats to paper over the cracks. It infuriates me because it could be so much more than that, it occasionally talks a good game, and yet every action shows a doubling down on security, timidity and resistance to the wider world.

Yeah, it’s not ideal for me that St Helens is situated a good three and a half hour car journey away, it’s not ideal for me that most of our away games aren’t on a Saturday or a Sunday, making it harder for me to attend without eating into my annual leave and it’s not ideal that the other Super League teams are based as “locally” as Yorkshire. But I make it work. I want to make it work. 

You're not the problem - I am, and the people like me. If people like you are thin on the ground the while it's great you're prepared to do all that it doesn't make a ha'porth of difference to the bottom line. The RFL's strategy is clearly to sweat those who want to make it work until their pips squeak, and not worry so much about bringing in new people. I've never lived in the heartlands, and while I've grown to like RL, it has to take it's place with all the other things I like. It's added to the list of things I could be doing, not replaced anything.

Overall, I'm not crying about the MW not moving because I want to go - although as stated I might be more likely to go as a casual fan if it wasn't all the way up in Newcastle, I'm just looking at it with my professional head on and reading the runes of what it says about the sport and what the sport is trying to do.

• Like 1

I've commented on this before and got into a bit of a debate with a few of you about what the purpose/remit of Magic is/was - it doesn't seem clear to me. It's hard to argue it hasn't had 'some' impact in the North East, although I queried last time what actual tangible evidence there was and also if it has had the impact people say it has brilliant - but why aren't we then spreading this to other areas? 

My feeling back then is still the same now - SJP and Newcastle is a fan favourite, so why bother moving it? Nothing more, nothing less than that.  

18 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Coventry would have a different dynamic I suppose...all the hotels in Birmingham 10 mins away by train for everybody else. 

More like half an hour

Edited by Gorbals

On 9/24/2018 at 6:28 AM, Rage said:

To give another city a chance to host it. It doesn't have to be London. Newcastle has had it for 5 years now. Manchester had it for 3 years previously I think?. What about places like Sheffield or Birmingham? Hopefully you would get new people going.

I'm definitely up for it being held at Villa Park.

Largely because I'd be able to get home while it's light!

😉

On 9/23/2018 at 11:31 PM, Jimbo78 said:

Newcastle Thunder have just tweeted that once again the average attendance has risen, this time by 7% to 1,022 for the season. Clearly having the MW here the past few years has benefited the club enormously and has gone hand in hand with all the hard work going on behind the scenes to make the matchday experience at Kingston Park a really good one, which it is. Some brilliant prospects coming through the academy on today's evidence and along with the great season ticket offers for next season, and hopefully a promotion challenge, the club should continue to grow over the coming years.

Getting the RL World Cup up here wouldn't do any harm either! 

If (if...) the whole point of Magic is to promote the game, then it should stay at Newcastle until Thunder and associated juniors are established in the Championship (at least).

Then it should go to and stay in Cardiff.

Beyond that it should go to North America. 

As I repeat... IF the idea is the point of  Magic.