Hemel Stags and West Wales Raiders to be cut from League One?

6 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

County Cricket is an awful example to use of a sporting competition we should look up to. RL is far, far from perfect, but I'm not sure that the whole structure of cricket below the England team isn't in a bit of bother.

A bit of bother is a very polite, cricket-y way of putting it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ojx said:

The trouble with getting rid of West Wales and Hemel would be that the pressure would then be on Coventry and the Skolars who would then become the weakest teams.

I think you’d look at who else you could bring in with the potential to grow. I also think both ourselves and Bears are showing potential on and off the field (our erratic performance this season aside). Clubs cannot stay weak for ever, for no other reason than no one will want to watch them. 

8 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Look how Newcastle has picked up.

Yes.But it hasn't been an overnight success,of course.

It seems the RFL assisted - from many years ago.

They have had a regional academy - and the winger who scored 4 tries (?) although from Peterlee Pumas,had been at City of Hull academy.

Many years ago they had Andy Kelly up there.His cv pre-and post Thunder is impressive -  http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/gatesheadcommunityrugbyleague/news/kelly-to-leave-north-east-1123408.html

He developed coaches,as well as players - http://www.cramlingtonrockets.co.uk/news/north-east-thunder-academy-community-night-1138052.html

He was followed by the mate of The Legend - http://www.totalrl.com/rfl-appoint-lee-crooks-new-role/

Let's see where the new'ish clubs,Coventry,West Wales Raiders and Hemel are in about ten years time - with or without an equivalent input.

Mick Hogan,who manged to have the DW stadium sell out on a few occasions,is also up there.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

48 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Yes.But it hasn't been an overnight success,of course.

It seems the RFL assisted - from many years ago.

They have had a regional academy - and the winger who scored 4 tries (?) although from Peterlee Pumas,had been at City of Hull academy.

Many years ago they had Andy Kelly up there.His cv pre-and post Thunder is impressive -  http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/gatesheadcommunityrugbyleague/news/kelly-to-leave-north-east-1123408.html

He developed coaches,as well as players - http://www.cramlingtonrockets.co.uk/news/north-east-thunder-academy-community-night-1138052.html

He was followed by the mate of The Legend - http://www.totalrl.com/rfl-appoint-lee-crooks-new-role/

Let's see where the new'ish clubs,Coventry,West Wales Raiders and Hemel are in about ten years time - with or without an equivalent input.

Mick Hogan,who manged to have the DW stadium sell out on a few occasions,is also up there.

Just to be clear I think WWRs need to be given a chance but clearly (at least I think it’s clear) there must be some sign of progress on and/or off the field next year. Given the new coach that seems likely. Hemel though.....I’m sad to say I’m not sure. It’s only a few seasons ago when playing them felt a proper derby and they bought a fair few fans to New River. Now? I struggle to see what the point is. 

On 9/24/2018 at 10:06 AM, Swansea Jack said:

West Wales have appointed a full time Australian coach who is now in West Wales.

Do Australian coaches have 2 heads? 2 brains? Are they sprinkled over with pixie dust as they are loaded in to their Quantas plane?

Are there not any British coaches in West Wales? 

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do Australian coaches have 2 heads? 2 brains? Are they sprinkled over with pixie dust as they are loaded in to their Quantas plane?

Probably less than there are in St Helens, Warrington, Huddersfield, Leeds or east Hull.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 9/24/2018 at 12:04 PM, cookey said:

I wish all Clubswell but I just dont see any point/benefit in a team called Hemel H,playing in Yorks,infront of a couple of hundred spectators.Equally,I can't see the point in a team in south Wales travelling to Cumbria and getting beaten by a hundred points.Surely both would do better playing in a southern league and gradually developing?

I had high hopes for the original Hemel club.

There is no point of Hull being in SL if they get 80 points put on them, get them in the hull district league 

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Probably less than there are in St Helens, Warrington, Huddersfield, Leeds or east Hull.

7 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Why limit yourself on job applicants?? 

Employ the best person who wants the job...

Shaun Edwards chose to apply for the Wigan position, should he turn that down to manage west Wales?

14 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Just to be clear I think WWRs need to be given a chance but clearly (at least I think it’s clear) there must be some sign of progress on and/or off the field next year. Given the new coach that seems likely. Hemel though.....I’m sad to say I’m not sure. It’s only a few seasons ago when playing them felt a proper derby and they bought a fair few fans to New River. Now? I struggle to see what the point is. 

They lost their way when the structure change and the league went from 9 clubs to 16 with half of the championship was relegated

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Good luck to Australia for producing good coaches, well at least for producing a surplus of them. It's a pity we cannot create our own... but are we really saying that West Wales cannot find a British coach?  Britain has been running courses for decades,  why do we need to import from Australia. Are they really that special?  But of course we also continue to import second grade players and fail to develop our own.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:46 AM, ojx said:

The trouble with getting rid of West Wales and Hemel would be that the pressure would then be on Coventry and the Skolars who would then become the weakest teams.

Pressure is what sport is all about. If you are at the bottom you should want to be at the top.

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Good luck to Australia for producing good coaches, well at least for producing a surplus of them. It's a pity we cannot create our own... but are we really saying that West Wales cannot find a British coach?  Britain has been running courses for decades,  why do we need to import from Australia. Are they really that special?  But of course we also continue to import second grade players and fail to develop our own.

Can't Hull KR, St Helens, Warrington, Leeds or Huddersfield find British coaches?

rldfsignature.jpg

29 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

Pressure is what sport is all about. If you are at the bottom you should want to be at the top.

Someone has to be bottom, I am sure the clubs at the bottom want to be at the top, you can take short cuts by importing players or take a longer term approach, 

Catalan have finished bottom of SL but are just fine now after winning a CC

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

They lost their way when the structure change and the league went from 9 clubs to 16 with half of the championship was relegated

Went a long way to killing Oxford as well that decision, not sure about GAG but our crowds went through the floor when it stopped being a development league and we were getting tonked every week instead of competing, and the reduced gates meant moving to Abingdon from the city centre, and the crowds fell further, and the club folded....

Don't get me wrong, a lot of other things wrong in the Thames Valley too, but the league restructure in retrospect was what fired a shot into the head of one of the expansion clubs by moving the goalposts. After one season.

On 9/25/2018 at 1:29 AM, Clogiron said:

About bl**dy time, they should have done this month's ago and expunged both team's records, lack of leadership as usual, and none of that ###### about having a new Aussie coach, his standard can be judged by the fact that the only gig he can get is WWR.

He actually had a higher ranked job in Q Cup, but is doing it for the experience and to support RL.

You know, Anthony Seibold coached South Wales Scorpions before landing the Rabbitohs job and possibly earning coach of the year (being awarded tonight). 

Nothing like jumping on a RL forum to view narrow mindedness...

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Ranked number 1 in the world. No complaints in RU of kiwi coaches around the world, or soccer with Dutch coaches. If they’re the best and you can afford it, why not? Wayne Bennet’s Broncos support staff are British. Steve McNamara was assistant for a while down under. 

10 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

He actually had a higher ranked job in Q Cup, but is doing it for the experience and to support RL.

You know, Anthony Seibold coached South Wales Scorpions before landing the Rabbitohs job and possibly earning coach of the year (being awarded tonight). 

Nothing like jumping on a RL forum to view narrow mindedness...

Hope he's bringing his boots with him, he will probably need 'em. Yes I know Siebold coached S Wales, but he spent a considerable time as a assistant to Bellamy at the Storm in-between, likewise the man said to be another candidate for the Bronco's job:Jason Demetrieu who coached the Cougars before returning to Australia to win the Q Cup& Interstate championship with Northern Pride and NSW Cup Illawarra Cutters and as a assistant at the Cowboys, Dragons and now the Bronco's.

RL has a long history of team's who have struggled including heartland clubs like Doncaster ,Huyton, Blackpool, Chorley etc but even those teams at their nadir didn't ship points, fail to put out a full team, have matches cancelled through lack of medical cover etc to to the extent of WWR & HH nor the other 'expansion' clubs over time like Nottingham, Mansfield, Southend, Maidstone and even further back London Highfield, Cardiff, Carlisle etc  and there is some real dross amongst that lot but the current pair are the pits (Wales, Pits don't see them two words together often nowadays) and I still contend don't belong in any form of structured, semi-pro league until they can bring value to it (phew, came over all Parky there, next I'll be wanting a TV contract from 4SCW)

Archived