Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Clothesoff

Hemel Stags and West Wales Raiders to be cut from League One?

13 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do Australian coaches have 2 heads? 2 brains? Are they sprinkled over with pixie dust as they are loaded in to their Quantas plane?

Are there not any British coaches in West Wales? 

Having a British coach didn't really do them much good this season

3 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Went a long way to killing Oxford as well that decision, not sure about GAG but our crowds went through the floor when it stopped being a development league and we were getting tonked every week instead of competing, and the reduced gates meant moving to Abingdon from the city centre, and the crowds fell further, and the club folded....

Don't get me wrong, a lot of other things wrong in the Thames Valley too, but the league restructure in retrospect was what fired a shot into the head of one of the expansion clubs by moving the goalposts. After one season.

Good analysis and goes to the heart of RLs problem - too much change, no long term plan. I really thought we had a fighting chance to get a club established in Oxford. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Hope he's bringing his boots with him, he will probably need 'em. Yes I know Siebold coached S Wales, but he spent a considerable time as a assistant to Bellamy at the Storm in-between, likewise the man said to be another candidate for the Bronco's job:Jason Demetrieu who coached the Cougars before returning to Australia to win the Q Cup& Interstate championship with Northern Pride and NSW Cup Illawarra Cutters and as a assistant at the Cowboys, Dragons and now the Bronco's.

RL has a long history of team's who have struggled including heartland clubs like Doncaster ,Huyton, Blackpool, Chorley etc but even those teams at their nadir didn't ship points, fail to put out a full team, have matches cancelled through lack of medical cover etc to to the extent of WWR & HH nor the other 'expansion' clubs over time like Nottingham, Mansfield, Southend, Maidstone and even further back London Highfield, Cardiff, Carlisle etc  and there is some real dross amongst that lot but the current pair are the pits (Wales, Pits don't see them two words together often nowadays) and I still contend don't belong in any form of structured, semi-pro league until they can bring value to it (phew, came over all Parky there, next I'll be wanting a TV contract from 4SCW)

I totally agree WWR need time and 3 years sounds right. I’d suggest though they weren’t ready this year for L1 and it would have been better to wait. 

16 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do Australian coaches have 2 heads? 2 brains? Are they sprinkled over with pixie dust as they are loaded in to their Quantas plane?

Are there not any British coaches in West Wales? 

With West Wales having a community club for 3 years and a semi-professional club for the past season only,it requires a head coach with experience and a development programme for the upcoming coaches in the area.

As an example,the fella at London Broncos,who did so well developing the youngsters,was given a rough ride by the supporters of the club when the first team struggled,after he was appointed head coach.

It seems his removal from first team duties and back to the youngsters has proved a success.Mr Powell be his name.

What I cannot understand is that in association football,while the England national side struggled since winning a world cup in 1966,they agreed with other european FA's,to have all the managers qualified to UEFA qualifications - https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/coaching-qualifications/

Yet in rugby league we do not seem to have the in-depth training and qualifications of the NRL and we even require some keen coaches to seek further qualifications in a west of England university - https://www.uclan.ac.uk/news/rugby_bosses_join_academic_super_league.php

Why not emulate the round ball game and have all suitable head coaches qualified to the same level as those who have passed the NRL test(s)?

Developing technique to willing to learn youngsters is far removed from having to deal with all the discipline and ego problems associated with todays open-age players.

It is pleasing to learn that the new head coach at West Wales Raiders is of an age and experience to be a father-like figure while also be able to deal with individual players who require a tighter reign. https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/watch-big-dave-opens-up-about-life-in-league/3278138/

The guy who was head coach when Castleford were promoted to Super League in 2005 - Gateshead Thunder promoted form Nat League 2 to Nat Lge 1 in 2008 and York City Knights also promoted from the 3rd tier into the 2nd tier in 2010 was an Australian,Dave Woods.

Even in the other code,the Llanelli based Scarlets club have a New Zealander as a head coach.It may also be true that he is to take over as the national side head coach. 

Perhaps the British no longer aim high or have the capacity for hard work.Or they just accept the lowest common denominator.

Dear Angelic Cynic...

Yes, it's appalling that British Football, Rugby Union and Rugby League clubs cannot generate their own coaches.  And it's miserable that overseas clubs are not knocking at the door of our own coatches.

I am I suppose agreeing with you.  But for all of that, but for a few gifted coaches, really... how extra special are these characters. Most of them end up being sacked.

I shrug my shoulders and scratch my head.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Dear Angelic Cynic...

Yes, it's appalling that British Football, Rugby Union and Rugby League clubs cannot generate their own coaches.  And it's miserable that overseas clubs are not knocking at the door of our own coatches.

I am I suppose agreeing with you.  But for all of that, but for a few gifted coaches, really... how extra special are these characters. Most of them end up being sacked.

I shrug my shoulders and scratch my head.

It is certainly a short shelf life - even for the successful coaches.Sic transit gloria mundi,as they say.

It would be nice if the new clubs are allowed to grow and prosper.At least for the next 2 years.

7 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

Does anybody know if the new Bristol club still due to partake League One next year?

It was never a starter by all accounts. It was a nice idea but nothing has ever happened with that. 

8 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Went a long way to killing Oxford as well that decision, not sure about GAG but our crowds went through the floor when it stopped being a development league and we were getting tonked every week instead of competing,

Not saying you're wrong but all wasn't rosy when we had NL3 as a development league. The reborn Carlisle RL team failed to complete the 2005 season. I was living in the Midlands at the time and was looking forward to see a Cumbrian team down at Coventry.

Say what you want about WWR but they managed the complete season. Even looked to be enthusiastic at times. Just outclassed.

Can I also ask what grounds the RL have to remove clubs from the League structure?

Are there rules about being competitive? Fair do's if there are but I'd have hoped to see something more open from the RL if the rumours are true. Something like, 'We're concerned with the on field performances of WWR and it's affect on the quality of the competition they are playing in. We have asked them for evidence that they are taking steps to remedy the situation and the RL will be on-hand to give advice if needed. We look forward to these changes bearing fruit in the 2019 season.'

As opposed to: 'The RL have consulted their astrologer who has advised that 14 is an unlucky number of teams to have in a footballing division. We take this advice seriously and have kicked the bottom two clubs out.'

9 hours ago, Worky said:

Can I also ask what grounds the RL have to remove clubs from the League structure?

Are there rules about being competitive? Fair do's if there are but I'd have hoped to see something more open from the RL if the rumours are true. Something like, 'We're concerned with the on field performances of WWR and it's affect on the quality of the competition they are playing in. We have asked them for evidence that they are taking steps to remedy the situation and the RL will be on-hand to give advice if needed. We look forward to these changes bearing fruit in the 2019 season.'

As opposed to: 'The RL have consulted their astrologer who has advised that 14 is an unlucky number of teams to have in a footballing division. We take this advice seriously and have kicked the bottom two clubs out.'

Was it Septic Peg?

11 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Does anybody know if the new Bristol club still due to partake League One next year? 

That was never going to happen. It was just a rumour to soften the blow of dumping Oxford and All Golds.

• Like 1

It was a bit more than a rumour. I believe they had a coach on standby for this season and had certainly started investigating training facilities and talking to players etc. However it was decided not to enter this season but to instead prepare for 2019. Subsequently one of the money men chose to take a different path and I believe the idea is dead though I'm no longer in direct contact with anyone involved.

Edited by Ivarr the Boneless
Typo
  • Like 2

Thanks for that info. I'm sure somebody did look into starting a new championship 1 side in Bristol but it was nothing to do with Oxford and GAG and It was still never going to happen.

• Like 1