Sign in to follow this  
deluded pom?

Jacksonville to Host Americas Qualifier Tournament for RLWC2021

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Guess it came down to £ as always. Only 4 days between fixtures doesn’t allow much rest and recovery 

If it’s down to money then why do the Jamaicans and Canadians again have to spend theirs on transporting a full squad and back up staff to Jacksonville but the Americans don’t? I deliberately didn’t mention Chile as it’s their first time in the qualifiers.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

If it’s down to money then why do the Jamaicans and Canadians again have to spend theirs on transporting a full squad and back up staff to Jacksonville but the Americans don’t? I deliberately didn’t mention Chile as it’s their first time in the qualifiers.

Travel is probably covered by RLIF. 

It makes a mockery of the qualifying tournament though, particularly when they’re not all playing each other. I guess we can thank the Aussies for that, for not stumping up the money they underwrote for the last World Cup 

• Sad 1

If travel is covered then why not play it in Canada for a change? The Americans always seem to get things stacked in their favour with home advantage and the long turnaround last time out.

35 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

If travel is covered then why not play it in Canada for a change? The Americans always seem to get things stacked in their favour with home advantage and the long turnaround last time out.

Perhaps the Canadians didn't have the facilities/want to host?

Hugely disappointing this. The international game is missing a big opportunity to build on the success of the Wolfpack by not having Canada play any of what are high stakes games, in Toronto.

Even if travel is the issue and you want all teams to play in one place, following on from the Wolfpack, surely Toronto makes more sense from both a commercial perspective and that of potential to grow interest in the international game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2018 at 6:11 AM, DoubleD said:

Perhaps the Canadians didn't have the facilities/want to host?

The time of year is problematic for playing it up here too.  Temperatures are starting to get a tad frigid here by mid-November.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 8:00 AM, DoubleD said:

Travel is probably covered by RLIF. 

It makes a mockery of the qualifying tournament though, particularly when they’re not all playing each other. I guess we can thank the Aussies for that, for not stumping up the money they underwrote for the last World Cup 

Jamaica are crowdfunding to get some of their UK based players over for the qualifiers - https://www.gofundme.com/jamaica-rl-world-cup-qualifiers

I'd love to see how the Chileans get on. I try to keep an eye on Chilean sports as the wife was born there.

• Like 1