Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Ben Barba signs for the North Queensland Cowboys

Brilliant for the first part of the season but a few niggling injuries and a loss of his initial blockbusting form has somewhat tapered his season off...

And saints get a fee as well.....

39 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

Brilliant for the first part of the season but a few niggling injuries and a loss of his initial blockbusting form has somewhat tapered his season off...

And saints get a fee as well.....

TR sums it up perfectly.

There is a trend in modern RL for the emphasis to be on a full back to be an exceptionally lively contributor to the attack, but not necessarily much else.  Being greedy, I prefer FBs who can do some of that, but are also sound in defence.  I find Barba's defence (like that of another fine attacking FB, Escare) a bit suspect, to say the least.

This contrast in FB styles was best highlighted in the cup semi-final.  Some of Barba's efforts at stopping tries were feeble (for Garcia's first) or non-existant (in the Jullien/Gigot break with the latter touching down)

By contrast, when Roby reminded us why he is such a good dummy half with a typical, opportunistic scoot towards Les Dracs' goal-line, it was Gigot who went full length to wedge himself between Roby and the turf, thus denying Saints what would have been a crucial try.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

TR sums it up perfectly.

There is a trend in modern RL for the emphasis to be on a full back to be an exceptionally lively contributor to the attack, but not necessarily much else.  Being greedy, I prefer FBs who can do some of that, but are also sound in defence.  I find Barba's defence (like that of another fine attacking FB, Escare) a bit suspect, to say the least.

This contrast in FB styles was best highlighted in the cup semi-final.  Some of Barba's efforts at stopping tries were feeble (for Garcia's first) or non-existant (in the Jullien/Gigot break with the latter touching down)

By contrast, when Roby reminded us why he is such a good dummy half with a typical, opportunistic scoot towards Les Dracs' goal-line, it was Gigot who went full length to wedge himself between Roby and the turf, thus denying Saints what would have been a crucial try.

I thought that even when he was not catching the eye, I thought he was contributing.  I think most teams would have him. Those with one eye might differ, but I could not possibly comment

edit...

🙂

Try savers..... I do not remember if it's the same event or in the final but Tierney was key to making one goal line save.

Edited by Rupert Prince

A massive shame. The privilege has been ours though, he’s been superb to watch and will go down in folklore, as have other Australians in the past like Meninga and Lyon. 

Also think it’s a major loss to Super League as a whole, as the league needs as many players of this calibre as we can get. 

• Like 1

He has been going to the Cowboys for some time by all accounts.

Maybe his drop in form reflected where his mind was for the future.

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

He has been going to the Cowboys for some time by all accounts.

Maybe his drop in form reflected where his mind was for the future.

Hi Allora, whats the whispers on Billy Slater will he or won't he be suspended?

I hope he plays just to see him once more for the last time, in my opinion he firmly sits in the top 3 players I have ever seen, spanning well over 5 decades.

Edited by Harry Stottle

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Perhaps that lul in form was out of boredom, his persona may demand much more of a challenge than SL presented him with?

That may be so, but he needs to show up in this play off series or he will be seen as a player who was entertaining and indeed unplayable at times during the regular rounds but failed to show up when it mattered. He was nullified well by Catalans, and has been average for a while now. Saints will need him at his very best imo if they are to win this GF

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Allora, whats the whispers on Billy Slater will he or won't he be suspended?

I hope he plays just to see him once more for the last time, in my opinion he firmly sits in the top 3 players I have ever seen, spanning well over 5 decades.

It was clearly an intentional  shoulder charge with no  attempt to wrap...last ditch effort to save a try.  He should get the same treatment as any other players...no special treatment.  He should be suspended the same as anyone else.

He is a great player.

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It was clearly an intentional  shoulder charge with no  attempt to wrap...last ditch effort to save a try.  He should get the same treatment as any other players...no special treatment.  He should be suspended the same as anyone else.

He is a great player.

Totally agree .... he got off . At least players next year who aren’t billy slater have a great precedent for their defence 

• Like 1

Barba has been great, not in every game, but has been good for the comp. I know some will be frustrated that he was only here for one full year, but I'd rather we see these entertaining players for a short period of time than not at all.

See them a bit like the guest appearances we used to see years back when players would play for a portion of the season.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Barba has been great, not in every game, but has been good for the comp. I know some will be frustrated that he was only here for one full year, but I'd rather we see these entertaining players for a short period of time than not at all.

See them a bit like the guest appearances we used to see years back when players would play for a portion of the season.

Some of my best memories are from stints like that. Brett Kenny, John Ferguson, Greg Dowling, Steve Ella and Gene Miles for instance. None of them stayed very long, but all are fondly remembered by those that saw them.

• Like 4

Unpopular opinion but even when he was at his best this season he was still poor in defence. So whilst his try scoring stats will look good for his one season in SL, he'll soon get found out (again) when NRL teams are attacking the line. Personally looking forward to seeing Lachlan Coote come the other way. 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Unpopular opinion but even when he was at his best this season he was still poor in defence. So whilst his try scoring stats will look good for his one season in SL, he'll soon get found out (again) when NRL teams are attacking the line. Personally looking forward to seeing Lachlan Coote come the other way. 

A Grand Final winner (and tryscorer in a Final) and Dally M winner the last time he played there. Can’t wait to see him “fail” again. 

42 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Some of my best memories are from stints like that. Brett Kenny, John Ferguson, Greg Dowling, Steve Ella and Gene Miles for instance. None of them stayed very long, but all are fondly remembered by those that saw them.

Same here Jim. I wonder how something like that would be received now. Fans seem more miserable now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Same here Jim. I wonder how something like that would be received now. Fans seem more miserable now. 

Well, I'm certainly more miserable because we don't do it any longer. 

I guess the fact the seasons run at the same time kind of prohibits that kind of player movement, but I wouldn't have any issue emplying some of the real stars for a short period.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

A Grand Final winner (and tryscorer in a Final) and Dally M winner the last time he played there. Can’t wait to see him “fail” again. 

Couple of points, Oliver - before you wet yourself. He was hardly the Dally M winner 'the last time' he played there......try 6 seasons ago. For context, Todd Carney was 2 years prior to that.....a lot has changed since then, old sport. Also, I didn't say he'll 'fail', I said he'll get found out in defence....and he will. 

15 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I guess the fact the seasons run at the same time kind of prohibits that kind of player movement, but I wouldn't have any issue emplying some of the real stars for a short period.

You’ll be surprised about how a big name can have an effect on a game. 

Take Barba’s debut, I had to be in St Helens at the time anyway and was lucky we were due to play Wigan and it was Barba’s debut. We stayed in a hotel in St Helens. People we got talking to who were also staying there had travelled from Scotland, Hampshire and Belgium to see Barba’s debut. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You’ll be surprised about how a big name can have an effect on a game. 

Take Barba’s debut, I had to be in St Helens at the time anyway and was lucky we were due to play Wigan and it was Barba’s debut. We stayed in a hotel in St Helens. People we got talking to who were also staying there had travelled from Scotland, Hampshire and Belgium to see Barba’s debut. 

I actually think the SL could do something really bold here if it wanted to. A marquee player draft could work where we invest half a million per club and SLE signs up the best 12 Worldwide players it can for a year. Then clubs draft these based on rankings or similar. Create an auction-type event like the Indian Premier League, get a title sponsor, and try and get real marquee players. I think we could see some real stars if we pay top dollar for a short term commitment, just like we did years back.

SL was a better comp for entertaining players like Barba, and dare I say Sandow and Bowen etc. Imagine 12 of this level of player knocking around in SL. 

I think this could put bums on seats, attract sponsors, and ultimately entertain, which is the business we are in.

can see the cowboys hitting a bit of a slump the next few seasons and don't think barba will be the answer  to their problems, did nothing up in that part of oz with the broncos when he was a few seasons younger either

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I actually think the SL could do something really bold here if it wanted to. A marquee player draft could work where we invest half a million per club and SLE signs up the best 12 Worldwide players it can for a year. Then clubs draft these based on rankings or similar. Create an auction-type event like the Indian Premier League, get a title sponsor, and try and get real marquee players. I think we could see some real stars if we pay top dollar for a short term commitment, just like we did years back.

SL was a better comp for entertaining players like Barba, and dare I say Sandow and Bowen etc. Imagine 12 of this level of player knocking around in SL. 

I think this could put bums on seats, attract sponsors, and ultimately entertain, which is the business we are in.

I’ve said this before SL should sign 48 imports 12 on £150k 12 on £120k 12 on 90k and 12 on 60k. Or a variation on that value then run a draft with the previous seasons bottom club getting first pick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Even fan misery was better back in the 'good old days'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3