Sign in to follow this  
usain bolt

Open age player review

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/53474/rugby-football-league-launches-male-open-age-game-review

The rfl have launched a male open age game review. What are people's thoughts and has anyone completed the questionnaire? 

14 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

Will they Really listen as they haven’t up to now?

Will it be a paper exercise, or will actions take place on the back of what's reported. Suppose only time will tell

9 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Will it be a paper exercise, or will actions take place on the back of what's reported. Suppose only time will tell

The 16-18 age group is in dire straights IMO as important as OA, a review was promised a long time ago but nothing has actually happened. The other problem is social media, the RFL send out the survey we have forwarded on to all the OA players I would think not one will complete the survey. When signing on all contact details are taken, a nice e mail with the survey to individuals may have been better, so to answer your question it will be a paper exercise imo

Edited by Defender1

31 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

A 12 to 18 yr review took place earlier this year

And the results were....

And the actions taken on the back of the findings....

2 hours ago, usain bolt said:

And the results were....

I suspect you will only hear something if there is any good news, the reality won’t be mentioned or any solution to put it right, I did see a comment when the NWC 16-18 were looking at their issues and a way to resolve it someone well respected in amateur circles actually asked if it had been done and he heads up a league, I would have thought one of the first to be consulted

• Like 1

Hopefully the fact that a review/reviews are in process shows that certain people do realise there is a problem, and not just a small one. The decline of playing personnel at all levels, youth and openage, is a problem and needs to be rectified in a positive way. Hopefully these reviews do give answers but acting on them is going to be very interesting. But it is a start, head in the sand isn't going to work anymore so hopefully this is the start of a big solution to prosper the game and entice more participants. 

• Like 1

I remember them doing a survey around 10 year ago about summer and winter rugby league, not one of my 50 odd players got asked to do the questionnaire and out of the Secretaries running teams  in Yorkshire that I contacted also had no player who'd received a questionnaire.

The RFL have all the email addresses of every player signed on, they could easily email everyone instead of the selected (I believe it will be again to get a result they want) few. 

3 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I suspect you will only hear something if there is any good news, the reality won’t be mentioned or any solution to put it right, I did see a comment when the NWC 16-18 were looking at their issues and a way to resolve it someone well respected in amateur circles actually asked if it had been done and he heads up a league, I would have thought one of the first to be consulted

We've got players coming back from playing summer rugby and only one says he's happy with it, but he has just played in a final in probably the YML that had the most fulfilled fixtures. 

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The RFL have all the email addresses of every player signed on, they could easily email everyone instead of the selected (I believe it will be again to get a result they want) few. 

I thought all the players had been emailed it. The players I have spoken to at several clubs have got it. 

To be fair, all players could well be emailed the questionnaire, but them actually opening it and completing it is another matter. Modern day youth I'm afraid, but will be the first to complain if all's not right for them.

2 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I thought all the players had been emailed it. The players I have spoken to at several clubs have got it. 

I've asked the question but had no replies yet, I'll know more after training.

Every player may get it but I can guarantee that no more than 30% will reply. That is being very optimistic as well. Player's are not interested in surveys or giving commitment to rugby in general.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, usain bolt said:

And the results were....

Findings to be presented / discussed at a meeting on 11.10.18  .

• Thanks 1

Many Pennine clubs have had their players participants list wiped clean at the end of August, they've had to re-register every player again, the players first have to send their email address to their clubs secretary who then in turn sends it to the RFL/Pennine, once this has been done the players can register themselves, at the moment many players are getting a return message when trying to register that they're already registered even though they are not on their clubs participants list.

1 hour ago, del capo said:

Findings to be presented / discussed at a meeting on 11.10.18  .

Who will be getting invites to this meeting ?

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Who will be getting invites to this meeting ?

A ' brainstorming ' ( or as close as it gets in RL) meeting I believe Marauder with Marc Lovering ( Siddal and RFL ) having been tasked with compiling this 12 - 18 report over the last 12 months  and presenting it then..  Paul Sculthorpe and  Kevin Sinfield will have input as well as Anthony Atherton  and Mike Denning from NCL ( former also has Academy connections.) One or two others with overviews also in attendance. That's the plan anyway as I understand it at this stage...

The critical issue seems to be how we keep our ' captured  ' 14 year olds  playing into the higher youth age groups and then into Open Age, hence the current NCL involvement  rather than simply concentrating on the Youth Leagues  issues (whose views are well known and shared by the Community team.)  Without  resolving this transitional through put  and retaining our numbers the whole game is , quite frankly, totally stuffed....

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

At the moment many players are getting a return message when trying to register that they're already registered even though they are not on their clubs participants list.

We found this with some of our players, if they are returning from another club they need to be transferred from the other club, john taylor needs to do this. If they are players who have not played at another club during the summer they need to register as returning players. They should only register as a new player if they have never played the game before I found the guys at the RFL are very helpful in resolving any issues, just email  Leaguenetsupport@rfl.co.uk

10 hours ago, Marauder said:

Many Pennine clubs have had their players participants list wiped clean at the end of August, they've had to re-register every player again, the players first have to send their email address to their clubs secretary who then in turn sends it to the RFL/Pennine, once this has been done the players can register themselves, at the moment many players are getting a return message when trying to register that they're already registered even though they are not on their clubs participants list.

This was the same with the NCL at the start of the season was a pain to sort. If it is the same problem as the NCL where they fill the details in they said dont select the club go past that part to the next bit and it should allow it.

I spent countless hours chasing email addresses and details to get everyone sorted for the start of the season.

Back to the survey, I think it should be available to coaches, secretaries and team managers to get a different view point for what they also see happening

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chisholm said:

Every player may get it but I can guarantee that no more than 30% will reply. That is being very optimistic as well. Player's are not interested in surveys or giving commitment to rugby in general.

Be more like 3% will reply

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thepimp007 said:

Back to the survey, I think it should be available to coaches, secretaries and team managers to get a different view point for what they also see happening

The problem is with the committment of the players not the coaches, secretaries and team managers so they should be the ones that are asked. The problem is at all team sports where participation is going down not just rugby league