Sign in to follow this  
Yosser

New $250,000 NRL Logo

That's not much different to the old one.

Money well spent?

DoD7aC1W0AA5CNA.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

c1d22e27d509d940dbe3d09a8dde54d0

NRL’S $250K SPLURGE TO REMOVE LOGO’S AUSSIE LINKS

THE NRL has outlaid massive money on a rebrand for an updated logo which is even simpler than the last one. The main change mark the game’s attempt to move away from the current logo’s Australian links by removing the iconic Southern Cross.

nymouhttps://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/dailytelegraph/subscribe.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrls-250000-splurge-to-remove-australian-links-from-game-logo/news-story/e6c57a8cff5abb89ae38d1b2c14741a6?memtype=anos

I like it and the simplicity probably works a touch better as a logo than the old one and with a team from New Zealand it works better removing the state stars. It is pretty much the same though. The old one was perfectly fine though and relatively new too.

Edited by Damien

Thought it was a First Aid poster at first but why get rid of the Southern Cross stars?  Was it due to air pollution over the designers house?

3 minutes ago, Yosser said:

Money well spent?

DoD7aC1W0AA5CNA.jpg

I would agree, but with one caviat.  

These things usually involve not just a simple logo but other marketing matters. I am no expert, but letterheads and other web site thingies and all sorts of other issues. But yes, most of us would think this is a waste. 

At a guess, its a move to try to own a brand that goes beyond Australia.  

• Like 2

The biggest change is a move away from green and gold, Australia’s national sporting colours.

I don’t see why the stars need to be removed. Those stars are visible all across the Southern Hemisphere.

No way that cost 250k. Even taking into account extensive consultations with a variety of expensive branding agencies over a lengthy period of time, possible usage rights, and any updates to web/social media and printable material, theres no way that final bill is 250k.

If it is, whoever signed off on that should be walked.

Nice enough update though.

42 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I would agree, but with one caviat.  

These things usually involve not just a simple logo but other marketing matters. I am no expert, but letterheads and other web site thingies and all sorts of other issues. But yes, most of us would think this is a waste. 

Is that what you get for $250,000? I'd love to know what the CRL admin thinks of it.

Edited by deluded pom?

Looks good.  Clean, simple, symetrical.  And not too much of a change, therefore retains the 'recognition' factor.  With only one colour, it can be replicated better in black and white or on coloured backgrounds, so is more versatile.

Thumbs up from me.

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

The old one has significance. What is the significance of green and white? Has the NRL been taken over by tree huggers? Not a fan of the plain look 

I think it makes sense to eliminate the explicit Aussie colours, to make it more welcoming to teams from New Zealand and elsewhere, and to fans around the world. To me green and white simply represent the field they play on (green grass/turf with white line markings).

It's a reasonable change, but the price tag, if accurate, is excessive.

1 hour ago, Yosser said:

Money well spent?

DoD7aC1W0AA5CNA.jpg

old was way better. why would they remove the southern cross when this is a southern hemisphere comp?

I personally associate the southern cross with NZ more than Oz because when i was in NZ i saw way more f it than in OZ.

maybe they spent the $250K just to run it into the NH nose that they can ###### that much cash away without worry? That or they are really dumb.

Edited by Krzzystuff

46 minutes ago, Copa said:

The biggest change is a move away from green and gold, Australia’s national sporting colours.

I don’t see why the stars need to be removed. Those stars are visible all across the Southern Hemisphere.

Except when it's cloudy :)

• Like 1

It's your pretty typical modern update,  eliminating drop shadows and black outlines, etc. A font change could have made it more interesting, but they way trend are it would have been something plainer without the little flourishes this one has.

I'd have thought they'd keep the stars vs the chevrons, the Southern identify encompasses NZ and Australia, but everyone knows it's league, don't need chevrons for that when it says RL right on it. 

30 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

I think it makes sense to eliminate the explicit Aussie colours, to make it more welcoming to teams from New Zealand and elsewhere, and to fans around the world. To me green and white simply represent the field they play on (green grass/turf with white line markings).

It's a reasonable change, but the price tag, if accurate, is excessive.

I think they could have achieved that with more appealing colours. Even the shade of green is dull compared to the old one

I wonder how much the RFL logo cost, that's if I can even remember what it looks like.

I like the old one a lot better . New one just looks a washed out blander pale imitation 

Never accuse the Australians of not 'pushing the packet' and moving beyond current 'boundaries'  when it comes to artistic aspirations!  You can't be serious....this must be some kind of joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yosser said:

Money well spent?

DoD7aC1W0AA5CNA.jpg

Bloody hell if it was me I would have gone for a one similar to the NBA (probably like a halfback passing the ball) if it cost that much!!