Recommended Posts

Beginning to think there will be another backlog of fixtures like last year too many games are getting postponed

due to this stupid rule where you are allowed to postpone two games per season in a short season. Would it not be better

to let the league know before the fixtures are published when clubs cannot fulfill a fixture so they can allow for this and

just allocate games to teams that are available that week.

Some teams still have not played a game and we are three weeks into the season.

Some teams I think are picking and choosing which teams they wish to play due to either travel or afraid they will get beat.

Would it not be better if the Pennine League reduced the chance to postponed games down to one now although the season has

started and some teams may have used both options already.

Finally will same happen this season like last NCL teams will leave without completing there fixtures due to this.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with allowing clubs to postpone games is that when the game is rescheduled the team who were willing to play in the first place may not be available as they thought they had a free date then or the pitch may not be playable.

The NCL rule works well that games can only be moved with the agreement of both teams otherwise get on and play on the fixture date, allowing teams flexibility is a good intention but in the end causes chaos.

Anyway why would teams want to cancel games all the players want to play in the 'traditional' season, nobody has a stag weekend  or a wedding etc until next summer? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Impartial Observer said:

The trouble with allowing clubs to postpone games is that when the game is rescheduled the team who were willing to play in the first place may not be available as they thought they had a free date then or the pitch may not be playable.

The NCL rule works well that games can only be moved with the agreement of both teams otherwise get on and play on the fixture date, allowing teams flexibility is a good intention but in the end causes chaos.

Anyway why would teams want to cancel games all the players want to play in the 'traditional' season, nobody has a stag weekend  or a wedding etc until next summer? 

We've done that this weekend against Greetland, they have a bachelor (Eskimo) weekend and their secretary booked the wrong weekend off, he phoned our club stating what he had done and would still like to honour the fixture at a later date, so instead of claiming the fixture we've agreed to play further into the season, what we failed to do was make sure that when we do play them it will be at our place first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Marauder said:

We've done that this weekend against Greetland, they have a bachelor (Eskimo) weekend and their secretary booked the wrong weekend off, he phoned our club stating what he had done and would still like to honour the fixture at a later date, so instead of claiming the fixture we've agreed to play further into the season, what we failed to do was make sure that when we do play them it will be at our place first.

How does a new date get set for the game, does the PL do it or the clubs?

I notice there are no games next week, could you play it then with an early kick off so people can go to the Grand final if they wish, no game for 2 weeks tend to means players drift away in my expericience

In the NCL if we move a game we tend to agree the date first with the opposition and then everyone knows when they need to play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixture secretary and next week is the grand-final weekend with both teams having players going and making a day of it, we've lost two excellent player this season because last season we got let down at home by all three NCL `A` teams in our division as well as a couple of teams who have flirted with winter and summer over the last few seasons (Both are now defunct)

If I had been the fixture secretary I wouldn't have given any league fixtures out for the Yorkshire cup weekends, this would have allowed dates for postponed games to be filtered in or fixtures to be brought forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Fixture secretary and next week is the grand-final weekend with both teams having players going and making a day of it, we've lost two excellent player this season because last season we got let down at home by all three NCL `A` teams in our division as well as a couple of teams who have flirted with winter and summer over the last few seasons (Both are now defunct)

 

What three NCL A teams were they, east leeds, Fev Lions and ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marauder said:

Fixture secretary and next week is the grand-final weekend with both teams having players going and making a day of it, we've lost two excellent player this season because last season we got let down at home by all three NCL `A` teams in our division as well as a couple of teams who have flirted with winter and summer over the last few seasons (Both are now defunct)

If I had been the fixture secretary I wouldn't have given any league fixtures out for the Yorkshire cup weekends, this would have allowed dates for postponed games to be filtered in or fixtures to be brought forward. 

As I have previously stated last year the season dragged on don't you think this is why teams did not complete there fixtures some teams were playing one league game a month due to postponements etc. Until it is played as a serious league without the option of postponing games this will still go on. Some teams do not only play in the Pennine League so although they try to play all there games it is made difficult due to teams who only play in it and do not seem concerned how long the season goes on for.  

If you were in the same predicament as the NCL teams what option would you take you continually try to put down the NCL is it not your clubs ambition to be in it. 

 Hopefully some teams will try to play previously postponed games next week although it is grand final weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s always going to be some excuse why players can’t play every weekend. I don’t think It being the Grand Final weekend is particularly relevant.

The 3 weekends from 27th October England are playing 

Edited by DoubleD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

 I don’t think It being the Grand Final weekend is particularly relevant.

 

It isnt, you kick off early and then go to OT

I see Upton vs Queens is off, are Queens struggling after the sad loss of Phil Sharp ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

It isnt, you kick off early and then go to OT

I see Upton vs Queens is off, are Queens struggling after the sad loss of Phil Sharp ?

Cant get numbers would it be worth joining with woodhouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league is a complete shambles and I am afraid that no one appears to be tackling the problem. As the postponed games increase, as they appear to be doing, this will lead to the  league slowly dying and that will be the demise of another area of the grass roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Marauder said:

We've done that this weekend against Greetland, they have a bachelor (Eskimo) weekend and their secretary booked the wrong weekend off, he phoned our club stating what he had done and would still like to honour the fixture at a later date, so instead of claiming the fixture we've agreed to play further into the season, what we failed to do was make sure that when we do play them it will be at our place first.

At least it is much better than turning up for our fixture to find that our opponents had not even got a team in the changing rooms and had not had the courtesy to inform us before we made the journey., but goody, we were granted 30 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

What three NCL A teams were they, east leeds, Fev Lions and ?

Lock Lane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

As I have previously stated last year the season dragged on don't you think this is why teams did not complete there fixtures some teams were playing one league game a month due to postponements etc. Until it is played as a serious league without the option of postponing games this will still go on. Some teams do not only play in the Pennine League so although they try to play all there games it is made difficult due to teams who only play in it and do not seem concerned how long the season goes on for.  

If you were in the same predicament as the NCL teams what option would you take you continually try to put down the NCL is it not your clubs ambition to be in it. 

 Hopefully some teams will try to play previously postponed games next week although it is grand final weekend

I think you'll find out that it was the NCL teams and a teams who folded and went to summer season and even folded there (Selby)

M62 on a Saturday, kick off 12.30 finish around 2pm, shower and a pint with the opposition 3.30pm to 4pm then travel 90 miles plus on the M62 for the guys who are going - Playing is about enjoyment, it's not a job an there are plenty of free weekends in the season to play the game.

Where do I knock the NCL ? Unless you mean when  point out it's not what it was and teams are often travelling light even though they now can't put a 2nd team out on the same day or run a U18's - This is not pulling it down, it's stating facts.

As I've pointed out it's the YML who have actually extended their season at both ends, the Pennine have actually started their season later to allow for a changeover. 

Edited by Marauder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

As I have previously stated last year the season dragged on don't you think this is why teams did not complete there fixtures some teams were playing one league game a month due to postponements etc. Until it is played as a serious league without the option of postponing games this will still go on. Some teams do not only play in the Pennine League so although they try to play all there games it is made difficult due to teams who only play in it and do not seem concerned how long the season goes on for.  

If you were in the same predicament as the NCL teams what option would you take you continually try to put down the NCL is it not your clubs ambition to be in it. 

 Hopefully some teams will try to play previously postponed games next week although it is grand final weekend

Not going to go into the time scales between games because summer pans out much worse and there are enough weekends in the season to accommodate postponed games, as for the season dragging on, you'll find that the Pennine have started their season later to accommodate the YML dragging on but the YML have started their season earlier into the Pennine season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

How did three tuns get on today

Won Stanley 26 v 34 Three Tuns

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

Cant get numbers would it be worth joining with woodhouse.

Queens aren't the side they where and many of their players are still with summer clubs at the start of the Pennine season, if like the previous seasons they should be OK now (Unless the bubble has burst)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Marauder said:

 

As I've pointed out it's the YML who have actually extended their season at both ends, the Pennine have actually started their season later to allow for a changeover. 

Really? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Really? 

Yes, the league started on the 15/Sept/2018 and will end at the end of April/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Luckyno7 said:

How do you rate the standard of the pennine compared to yml & ncl

YML is about on par with the Pennine and the NCL 3 div is about as good as the top 4 in the Pennine top division & YML Premier division (I've been told that Beverley have said the YML Premier is a better standard than the NCL 3)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marauder said:

YML is about on par with the Pennine and the NCL 3 div is about as good as the top 4 in the Pennine top division & YML Premier division (I've been told that Beverley have said the YML Premier is a better standard than the NCL 3)

Yes I heard the same but surely they must have strengthened their team when joining the NCL. Went to Myton this year and one of their players said he had been approached by Beverley to play for them next season. Be interesting to compare last seasons team with next seasons team when they begin playing apparently trying to do a Hunslet Parkside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

Yes I heard the same but surely they must have strengthened their team when joining the NCL. Went to Myton this year and one of their players said he had been approached by Beverley to play for them next season. Be interesting to compare last seasons team with next seasons team when they begin playing apparently trying to do a Hunslet Parkside.

It could work the other way if East Hull get into the NCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now

Rugby League World - Christmas Offer

League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Dec 2018