John Drake

7 Oct: Million Pound Game: Toronto Wolfpack v London Broncos KO 7pm

Who will win?  

113 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • London Broncos

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/18 at 18:00

35 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Theres always the odd one out Patrick. At least you had the desceny to congratulate them. :)

Ya, you're right. There's always one.

It's not as if I'm in the greatest mood myself right now, too. But it was a surprise none the less.

Edited by PatrickB

That was a really bitter pill to swallow but full credit to London for the win. Total team effort for 80 minutes.

I thought the referee was excellent. Kept control of the game at all times and was consistent. Glad they had a video official. Imagine if that early TWP try had counted despite the offside. Might have robbed a team of promotion.

Best period of play for Toronto was the first 10-15 min of the second half but after making it 2-2, they made a couple mistakes that seemed to kill any momentum they had.

Not much in it really. Overall, TWP made a few more errors and showed a little less discipline than did London. I thought that was the difference. The yellow card on the half-hour, the knock-on off the re-start at 2-2, a penalty shortly thereafter to go down 4-2, the missed penalty to make it 4-4 (hard to call that an "error" since it was a difficult kick but it was makeable). Could add a couple of questionable/poorly weighted kicks in the late going but that was as much a response to London's effort as anything.

IMO Toronto should have taken a shot at goal on their first penalty just to be playing from ahead but I understand why they didn't. Had they scored a try, I'm sure I wouldn't be bringing it up. 

As much as it hurts, I still consider this season a success. At least I think I will once the disappointment wears off.The qualifiers were so exciting to watch. Great job by the team and its supporters to get over the 9k mark in attendance. 

Best of luck to London and their supporters in SL next year. Enjoy it. I know there's a lot of talk about the ground, small crowds and funding etc... but if you're a fan of the team, what can you do about that?? Enjoy the win, it was well earned. Congrats. 

• Like 9

The middle eight was not a good idea.Why should the bottom teams in Sl get a second chance  to stay there .

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t buy that.

But if we’re talking self-interest, then the London boys would have been motivated by the prospect of a big pay rise. They certainly played like it. 

Maybe going backwards and rewarding player's on a win, lose or draw payment scheme instead of being salaried the same no matter the outcome of a game would improve the on-field spectacle for the fans?

Is the Toronto pitch the standard dimensions?  as there didn't seem much room for attacking plays. The wingers always seemed to be almost touching the touch line when defending on both sides of the field, 

5 hours ago, frank said:

The middle eight was not a good idea.Why should the bottom teams in Sl get a second chance  to stay there .

What has that you to do with this game? The bottom team were well relegated. The two teams in the MPG were the top two Championship clubs. Leave the format out of it.

• Like 2

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

When it comes to Toronto, I learned all I needed to know in the Cup game against Warrington - they're very good going forward but have no creativity in the halves and have incredibly poor discipline. They lose their heads when things are going wrong. This was evident against Rovers in the 8s also and evident again yesterday.

They need to bin off McCrone and bin off Paul Rowley. The philosophy they employ will not work at the highest level. They should have gone straight up.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When it comes to Toronto, I learned all I needed to know in the Cup game against Warrington - they're very good going forward but have no creativity in the halves and have incredibly poor discipline. They lose their heads when things are going wrong. This was evident against Rovers in the 8s also and evident again yesterday.

They need to bin off McCrone and bin off Paul Rowley. The philosophy they employ will not work at the highest level. They should have gone straight up.

That logic can be applied to all the Championship leaders since '15, but we had a different comp in that all teams knew the rules beforehand, I don't have a problem with any type of play off system employed in any imbalanced fixture schedule, in fact it should be a requirement, exactly the same as why Saints are not the Champions and it will this week be contested by the teams finishing 2nd and 4th, do you want to scrap the Grand Final?

One thing that is certain, for intrigue, discussion and entertainment value, the middle 8's will be missed next season.

Totally in agreement with the rest of your post.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That logic can be applied to all the Championship leaders since '15, but we had a different comp in that all teams knew the rules beforehand, I don't have a problem with any type of play off system employed in any imbalanced fixture schedule, in fact it should be a requirement, exactly the same as why Saints are not the Champions and it will this week be contested by the teams finishing 2nd and 4th, do you want to scrap the Grand Final?

One thing that is certain, for intrigue, discussion and entertainment value, the middle 8's will be missed next season.

I read that as Wellsy saying that they blew it, and as a club they should have been good enough to go straight up rather than a system complaint.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I read that as Wellsy saying that they blew it, and as a club they should have been good enough to go straight up rather than a system complaint.

That is another train of thought, perhaps Wellsy will qualify?

But you say "as a club they should have been good enough" probably agree with that statement, but the realisation is the team were lacking, not just good enough, being a well run club is not what is desired in this situation, just like your own club and Leeds of the last 3 seasons, those two should have never ever been in the bottom 4.

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

Is the Toronto pitch the standard dimensions?  as there didn't seem much room for attacking plays. The wingers always seemed to be almost touching the touch line when defending on both sides of the field, 

There are no 'standard dimensions'. The laws only state maximum measurements.

49 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is another train of thought, perhaps Wellsy will qualify?

But you say "as a club they should have been good enough" probably agree with that statement, but the realisation is the team were lacking, not just good enough, being a well run club is not what is desired in this situation, just like your own club and Leeds of the last 3 seasons, those two should have never ever been in the bottom 4.

Indeed, it is sport. I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game, despite wanting Toronto to win. I am very happy for London, and I am comfortable for the sport to do the talking like this, and the commercial side facilitate putting a good team on the park. 

Even with plenty of money, wrong decisions can still be made, team selections can be poor, balls can be dropped, decisions can go either way - isn't that why we are obsessed with sport?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Sorry one more point: Sunday evening rugby is great. Straight after Super Sunday, lots of folk at home to watch it on telly, not much else on.

Just how it used to be ??

I wanted Toronto to do it, but well done London. Truly earned their place to have another shot, i have my doubts but am willing to give them a chance and wish them well. Toronto, this is a set back but they need to learn from it and can still grow and come back strong next season, it's not the end of the world.

On the game, don't know if it has been said because i haven't read through the thread but what was McCrone doing on that play with 5 minutes to go? second tackle puts in a nothing kick. He should be axed on the spot for that piece of poop.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

I wanted Toronto to do it, but well done London. Truly earned their place to have another shot, i have my doubts but am willing to give them a chance and wish them well. Toronto, this is a set back but they need to learn from it and can still grow and come back strong next season, it's not the end of the world.

On the game, don't know if it has been said because i haven't read through the thread but what was McCrone doing on that play with 5 minutes to go? second tackle puts in a nothing kick. He should be axed on the spot for that piece of poop.

Exactly, I was shouting at the tv when he did that kick. How he got a gig for four years at Canberra I dont know. Definately one position TWP need to improve on next season.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There are no 'standard dimensions'. The laws only state maximum measurements.

In France they say the standard is 100 metres by 68 metres, it just seemed like there was no room for both teams, 

48 minutes ago, barnyia said:

In France they say the standard is 100 metres by 68 metres, it just seemed like there was no room for both teams, 

I think that is the standard but the laws just state teams should get as close as possible to those dimensions. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you misunderstood my point.

I wasn't saying they deserved to go up for finishing top. I was suggesting that their team was good enough for automatic qualification in the 8s. They finished joint top, yet had a poor points difference due to sloppy moments in most games. They should have done a lot better than they did. That game against Rovers they were far better up front but just couldn't create anything. That's poor coaching, poor discipline and poor halves.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the game live and while I was watching early doors live the internet connection was horrendous so when I text my lad he sent the score through I didn't believe him to be honest.

So watching the highlights TWP need a lot of work and maybe a new approach they don't play the kind of rugby that if it where my money I was pumping in I would be wanting to seen wonder if Rowley will still be there next season?

Broncos will struggle badly next season and id put money on them going down, that said the taught TWP a valuable lesson that sport is hardly think they way they'd wafted through there first 2 years they hadn't really realised that maybes lesson learned though I thought Rowley was humble in defeat.

Both need a ground worthy of the name,but that said a couple of SL sides could use a new ground too.

20 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I can't remember another game where the adjudicated video footage wasn't available on a big screen for actual spectators at the event to see for themselves. Perhaps TWP could have provided the screens but chose not to?

All todays reviewed decisions seemed authentic,there was no sightings of a correctly grounded ball in any of the replays.

The Salford V Toulouse game didn't have footage on the screen even though it was in the ground.

Indeed, we went to the pub for a few hours after the game and 9-10 players joined us, despite the heartbreaking result it was still worth cheering a strong season with a club that's become a much more solid organization during this year in the Championship.

To recap, Wolfpack ran away with the Championship, went 5-2 in the qualifiers, beat two Super League teams, and was definitely the most qualified for SL among the Championship clubs - until yesterday. We lost it on the field on the day that mattered. That's sport. And I'd bet that every Wolfpack fan or club member will congratulate London Broncos and wish them success in Super League. They've been great to host, three times this season, and won on the day.

As a season ticket holder, this year has been a terrific experience. We've had great fun, enjoyed the game, drunk the beer, brought our friends, made new ones, got to know the players, welcomed many teams, had growing pains, loved the awareness that the club are getting across the city, heard the whinging, and dealt with more hostility than was ever warranted. Of course, we'd have loved the win yesterday and the promotion for 2019, who wouldn't, but I haven't heard any fan complain about another year in the Championship.

So without a hint of sarcasm, we will indeed welcome back Batley (bring Danny Maun!), and York, and Dewsbury, and all the rest of the clubs.

We'd hoped a silver lining from the defeat and the three disallowed tries (FYI, no one is disputing them) would give us a respite from the brown envelope/they'll bend the rules to rush Wolfpack into SL/they exceed the salary cap/the refs turn a blind eye/conspiracy theories but today I see a brand new one poking its ugly head out of the cesspit- that Wolfpack players threw the game to protect their jobs. Isn't that what Widnes also supposedly did when they played Wolfpack two weeks ago? Gah, it's getting so difficult these days to keep the conspiracy theories straight. Time to take off the tinfoil, fellers.

Edited by Loup
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Congrats to London on the fine win.  Wish them the best next year.

As for the Wolfpack...we carry on!  Another year in Championship...I'm really looking  forward to it,  We have a 5 Year Plan to get to SL and are currently entering Year 3...everything looks good Houston.  Need a good center and a couple of large bashing forwards and we are there.

• Like 5