London in Superleague

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

100% correct, which is why they are working with QPR on a partnership which will see one game at least played at Loftus Road and incentives for fans of both clubs to visit the other and buy tickets, merchandise etc given they share the same suppliers.

They’ll never learn then. Utterly pointless. 

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

QPR are building a training ground on Windmill  Lane aren’t they? It is a very big site.

Trying to. There's a couple of Brentford fans masquerading as concerned citizens who've been dragging it through the courts for about 3 years now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

27 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

Utterly pointless offering season ticket holders of a club whose stadium is 20 minutes drive away from Vallis Way a free ticket to 'Try Super League' in the hope that some of them like it so much they will use the additional 15% discount for being a QPR ticket holder to purchase tickets for future games and potentially food, drink and merchandise?

Utterly pointless to work with the RFL and request a big name such as Wigan or Leeds for a weekend when QPR are playing in the North and offering all season ticket holders at the football club free entry to London Broncos v Wigan and everyone else £5 entry?

Utterly Pointless for both clubs to be working together on social media to advertise upcoming fixtures and hospitality/ticket offers?

Maybe they should just ring Ralph and tell him to get Argyle and his mob to take their place whilst quietly going about their business in front of 1000 fans in the Championship where they belong?

If you believe improving their attendances is that simple, there’s no point debating any further. 

59 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

Utterly pointless to work with the RFL and request a big name such as Wigan or Leeds for a weekend when QPR are playing in the North and offering all season ticket holders at the football club free entry to London Broncos v Wigan and everyone else £5 entry?

Great stuff. We’ll be there. I’ve long wanted to see Broncos play at Loftus Road.

I don't like the name Broncos for a London team. The only time I've seen a horse in London, it had a soldier sitting on it. It's not exactly a horse city. And yes I know that's there no rhino's in Leeds either.

I just think that they should change the name to something like London Werewolves (so that they can play the Warren Zevon tune on each try), or maybe the London Guvnor's, cor blimey apples and pears.

They're only the Broncos because of Brisbane, right? Is that link still in existence? If not, I reckon get rid of the name. After all, RL loves a rebrand - new logo, etc.

27 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I don't like the name Broncos for a London team. The only time I've seen a horse in London, it had a soldier sitting on it. It's not exactly a horse city. And yes I know that's there no rhino's in Leeds either.

I just think that they should change the name to something like London Werewolves (so that they can play the Warren Zevon tune on each try), or maybe the London Guvnor's, cor blimey apples and pears.

They're only the Broncos because of Brisbane, right? Is that link still in existence? If not, I reckon get rid of the name. After all, RL loves a rebrand - new logo, etc.

How about the Thames River Mariners?

I actually like the Broncos name, just wish they would go back to the old Broncos logo and ditch the stupid electric blue Tron 80's look

22 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

How about the Thames River Mariners?

Good idea. We can then refer to their defence as being "the Thames Barrier" (like Pittsburgh have the steel curtain in NFL), and commentators can amusingly say that the barrier is open today, when London are getting stuffed.

28 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

I actually like the Broncos name, just wish they would go back to the old Broncos logo and ditch the stupid electric blue Tron 80's look

Yeah, I don't like the current logo very much, either. Then again, the other one you're referring to is a bit Harry Potter like. At least the red and white colours were a bit more London themed though.

26 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

You can be a sports fan and care about the environment surely?

Of course, but that isn't the case here.

*edited it because it was way off topic

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 10/11/2018 at 3:00 AM, 17 stone giant said:

Careful what you wish for.  Somebody once saw a pair of blue socks in Halifax and look what happened next...

On 10/10/2018 at 11:49 PM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If you believe improving their attendances is that simple, there’s no point debating any further. 

Such a narrow minded take on things, anyone would think you're being deliberately obtuse. If you can't see that trying some avenues and have partnerships with existing sporting fans in the locality is one way from many to help increase the fan base/awareness of the club/brand/RL as a whole then that makes you look more than a bit stupid.

Given that's precisely what you think by definition of what you wrote, you are correct, there is absolutely no point you being involved in any discussion regarding London, in fact you might want to remove yourself from most discussions/debating given how most will be of a similar vein.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:57 PM, westlondonfan said:

I got an email from London Broncos yesterday inviting me to renew my season ticket. £99 again this year. What excellent value that is now we are in SL next year. 

that's very generous of the club and shows great loyalty. £129 for standing only but possibly getting a seat if there's some free is a pretty sweet deal. I think the rest of the pricing is pretty good too. The £299 with £25 hospitality voucher especially as the kids ticket is only £60 might be one that flies. it might be a punt for me to grab one of the £129 tickets + one for a friends sprog even if I even only get to 6/7 games a season, I'd happily give my spares to someone who is interested in RL FOC to give it a try.

Broncos tickets.JPG

On 10/7/2018 at 11:37 PM, THE RED ROOSTER said:

At the risk of being banned for mentioning a competitor to LPL on this board. Gavin Willacy, who is a rugby league journalist of note, made this cryptic comment in the September edition of Forty-20 magazine ; My bold and italics

" London has the potential; to be a league powerhouse but it will take a huge investment in facilities, staff development ,structures and players. There are seriously rich people interested in making that happen"

So now we will see if Mr Willacy was well sourced or not....

That would be amazing if true. An Argyle-type character would make London a powerhouse...

The nearest equivalent to London Broncos that there has been in the North is Highfield RLFC.  They were not successful either.

There are five criteria for judging whether a club will be successful:
1. Finance.  They need backing.
2. Location.  You need a host town that has a big enough audience, either with a tradition or a large affluent potential audience.  e.g. not Bridgend.
3. Suitable ground.  A stable location, good price, and appropriate facilities. e.g. not as London Broncos has been.
4. Management team.  Having the basic sense to appeal to the audience you have (young professionals in Ealing) rather than the trying to market to your own youth.   
5. A reasonable owner.  He should not be more famous than any of the players.

Any team that tick all five of these will be successful.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

That would be amazing if true. An Argyle-type character would make London a powerhouse...

I am not party to the clubs finances but I would guess the rent and bills at Trailfinders are considerably lower than Barnet, The Stoop and Brentford we’re so maybe this time more money can be spent on players. Danny Ward was quoted last week as saying he thought London could get to the top of SL. If London could at least be a consistent top 4 or top 6 team I think things could really take off. There were six London/SE born and bred players in the team in Toronto I believe. I am optimistic that some of the lessons from London’s last period in the SL have been learnt . Moving to a brand new 20,000 seater stadium is at the bottom of my list of priorities for the Broncos.

14 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I am not party to the clubs finances but I would guess the rent and bills at Trailfinders are considerably lower than Barnet, The Stoop and Brentford we’re so maybe this time more money can be spent on players. Danny Ward was quoted last week as saying he thought London could get to the top of SL. If London could at least be a consistent top 4 or top 6 team I think things could really take off. There were six London/SE born and bred players in the team in Toronto I believe. I am optimistic that some of the lessons from London’s last period in the SL have been learnt . Moving to a brand new 20,000 seater stadium is at the bottom of my list of priorities for the Broncos.

Really good read but I wasn’t referring to a 20k seater stadium. Fresh investment could hugely build on the foundations already in place.

2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

They would have to work out what the local population of Ealiing would keenly buy into in an event that they do not have at the moment.  I am not sure that the answer is a higher standard of rugby league.

I agree though, Trailfinders is fine.  If they had 4,000 wealthy Ealing people attending, it would be one of the most lucrative clubs in Super League.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

1. Finance.  They need backing.
2. Location.  You need a host town that has a big enough audience, either with a tradition or a large affluent potential audience.  e.g. not Bridgend.
3. Suitable ground.  A stable location, good price, and appropriate facilities. e.g. not as London Broncos has been.
4. Management team.  Having the basic sense to appeal to the audience you have (young professionals in Ealing) rather than the trying to market to your own youth.   
5. A reasonable owner.  He should not be more famous than any of the players.

Where are these criteria from Bob?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived