Sign in to follow this  
Northern Eel

Grand Final Crowd

The sport is no longer unified, its about mememe. 25 years ago fans from all clubs in great numbers descended on RL events  - finalists didn't matter as it was a calendar date. Rank poor leadership has got us here today and the sport isn't big enough to be fragmented

• Like 3

Sadly seen bad behaviour at Challenge Cup finals, Grand Finals and Magic Weekends usually due to drink and idiots taking advantage of the lack segregation to goad other fans.

Not sure what can be done, but hope it’s not getting worse.

I remember having great seats at Twickenham for Saints-Huddersfield, but sitting next to three drunken Hull FC fans who were trying to spit on a group of Wigan fans below us during the game.

We were a mix of Saints and Wigan fans - and I stepped in and told these blokes (and they must have been in their 40’s) to start watching the match and asking why they weren’t getting behind the Yorkshire team.

It stopped the spitting at least, but it was like talking to the living dead they were so drunk.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sadly seen bad behaviour at Challenge Cup finals, Grand Finals and Magic Weekends usually due to drink and idiots taking advantage of the lack segregation to goad other fans.

Not sure what can be done, but hope it’s not getting worse.

I think the sport needs to decide what it wants to be. With all the other stuff that’s been going on this year, I do believe the game is at a crossroads. Where do we go from here?

• Like 1

I don't want to downplay anyone's experience of peed up knobheads here but you can guarantee when you get tens of 1000's of people together, whether that be sporting events or concerts, there will be a few idiots.

That's probably no comfort to people stuck in with a set of idiots, it's just sadly inevitable.

• Like 2

I don't think we can be too precious about the drunkeness at such fixtures on one hand and then be crying out for the Hearn's to be involved on the other. Your average darts event makes the Grand Final positively teetotal.

For what it's worth, I didn't have any intention of going last night but happened to be going to the Imperial War Museum in the afternoon with my son and my other half and was pleasantly surprised to see how many families and the like were visiting the museum before going to the game, and at that point both myself and my Mrs commented that we'd rather wished we were going to the game after all. Then we walked through the Lowry back to the car and it already looked to be getting a little lively with folk drinking in the main communal area nearer the theatre even at 3-4pm and then figured it might have been for the best that we weren't going to the game after all (with t'lad in tow, at least).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, St Reatham said:

I think the sport needs to decide what it wants to be. With all the other stuff that’s been going on this year, I do believe the game is at a crossroads. Where do we go from here?

Rugby League’s greatest strength to me as a spectator sport was the amount of women who used to attend.  

I always felt that this generally kept in check the excessive tribalism that spoils soccer.

I think excessive drinking plays a part as groups of drunken lads will always do things they wouldn’t if they were by themselves and sober.

• Like 1

Grand final crowd looked great on bbc news this morning,any seats unsold tend to be the top tiers which to be honest offer a poor outlook of the game.

42 minutes ago, cookey said:

Clearly some of you have never been to the darts,boxing or the Six Nations.

I for one haven’t.  Please enlighten us ?

Please please can we have balance. Last nights GF was a huge success, despite ourselves the sport remains TGG

shiuld we ever get organised we would rule the world !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M j M said:

It's harsh and this isn't a definite giude but the better priced-tickets tend to have fewer issues in my experience. When my team's there I'm happy to pay a lot more for better location but also less potential hassle of ****s around you. In other years like last night I just go for the £20 tickets and, whilst our section was OK in terms of no trouble on this occasion, there were a few people who were so far gone they could barely stand up before the game. Some of the people who didn't look like regular RL fans, in particular women, looked slightly concerned at some of the language and some of the scenes.

I have to agree. Last year in a neutral section was better. 

I said I would only go with my wife in daughter in hospitality if at all.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I don't want to downplay anyone's experience of peed up knobheads here but you can guarantee when you get tens of 1000's of people together, whether that be sporting events or concerts, there will be a few idiots.

That's probably no comfort to people stuck in with a set of idiots, it's just sadly inevitable.

I agree to an extent, but I have been to evening games for the FA Cup, and for a Scotland 6N game. They were not like this, and they were both boozy.

Mind, the sport was so boring maybe half the crowd had fallen asleep!!!

1 hour ago, cookey said:

I avoid boxing due to the frequent crowd trouble. I would only go to darts for a stag do type event. I went to a six nations game with not an issue.

Isn't RL a family sport? Do we want it to be an event like boxing and darts? If yes, fine, let's crack on, but suggest we forget the pretence of being a family game.

I don't think the GF can be compared easily to most sporting events - I've never seen trouble at ANY international sporting event.  The nearest thing I can think of is a league decider in soccer.   I don't agree with the stuff that sometimes happens in the crowd but the inescapable human trait of tribalism when mixed with with alcohol is always going to end up with trouble, irrespective of how much of a family game we are.   Drinking removes the self-control that would normally prevent an idiot becoming a thug.

Of course it's a bit of a paradox - you can't prevent drinking before a game even if it was banned during a game...   and of course the second biggest revenue source of a game is drink and food.

Oh, before I'm accused of trying to spoil people's fun I will point out that I too like a few beers with a game of RL.   Just pointing out the reasons for the trouble.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 1

The crowd looked fine on TV and you would have to really be looking to spot the 11,000 empty seats. As a stadium, Old Trafford can hide empty seats better than Wembley, probably as it is now bigger than was ever anticipated.

I don't know if it's correct, but general opinion seems to be that less neutrals are attending Grand finals/Cup finals. But now, for clubs who rarely get to finals, their fans can instead spend their money on trips to Catalans and Magic Weekends and see their own team play, so naturally would choose these matches over finals not involving their team.

I suppose Elstone's first challenge is to make sure that our Grand Final crowd doesn't dip below 70,000 again, and ideally sells out every year. If we can't sell out our big night of the year, then this provides ammunition to Sky to pay less for us.

• Like 1

its not an organised brawl, it tends to be a few ###### heads who hack off other fans, the beauty in RL is fans tend to not tolerate the dick heads and let them know, that can lead to a bit of sporadic violence. Should happen more in society as the rather record it on the phone than help the innocent does really hack me off

• Like 1

I must admit the only times I've ever seen trouble (and lets be real I've been to several Leeds United away games, when I say trouble here I mean at an RL relative level), its been sorted more often than not by other fans, often of the same club, telling the divs where to stuff it. 

Stewards are often rubbish. They are for a lot of events I've been to tbh. Indeed you only got to have 1 tool of a steward to turn a crowd into a mob; which evidently doesn't help.

I think the solution of having family blocks/alcohol free zones should definitely be explored for our big events; actually come to think of it channeling fans into special areas for people wanting different experiences full stop should be explored. I also think you've got to be more selective about where you buy tickets then if that comes in. If I was taking a group of lad mates, I wouldn't necessarily go in the same part of the stadium as to where I'd take a Girlfriend. Hopefully more diversity comes.

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Are those sports/events marketed as family friendly though?

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Has to be one of the bigger drawbacks of all-seat venues. Years ago, upon encountering drunken idiots (at any stadium sport), one could simply move to another part of the ground.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cookey said:

I have.

The Darts is utterly mental. The Ally Pally is like a tinderbox, but most seem to handle their beer and have a good time.

It's helped by anyone who so much as frowns is whisked from the venue without their feet touching the ground.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

over 64k fans went and enjoyed themselves without acting like tools.

That's important to remember. Never let the minority of idiots tarnish the reputations of the decent majority or the sport as a whole. The problems being described here are not unique to rugby league. Anyone who has been to watch football, and even cricket at times, would empathise with what you experienced.

Perhaps the RFL need to be creative and introduce a 'behave like a moron' ticket section. Hand out plastic bottles for them to throw about, but put a net around that section. Maybe some large inflatable hammers too for them to hit each other with. Anyone doing those things in another part of the stadium, automatically gets moved there. Basically it would be somewhere for the 'children' to play, while the adults behave and watch the rugby. I think I'll add that to the ideas thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I must admit the only times I've ever seen trouble (and lets be real I've been to several Leeds United away games, when I say trouble here I mean at an RL relative level), its been sorted more often than not by other fans, often of the same club, telling the divs where to stuff it. 

Stewards are often rubbish. They are for a lot of events I've been to tbh. Indeed you only got to have 1 tool of a steward to turn a crowd into a mob; which evidently doesn't help.

I think the solution of having family blocks/alcohol free zones should definitely be explored for our big events; actually come to think of it channeling fans into special areas for people wanting different experiences full stop should be explored. I also think you've got to be more selective about where you buy tickets then if that comes in. If I was taking a group of lad mates, I wouldn't necessarily go in the same part of the stadium as to where I'd take a Girlfriend. Hopefully more diversity comes.

I agree, although the Grand Final already has this. Unfortunately, there are still knuckleheads with a vocabulary of 12 words finding their way into these parts. 

It's also a shame that there are no concessionary rates in the top few ticket bands. I would imagine that would drive some families into cheaper areas which do have concessions and therefore, more likely in with the riffraff. 

• Like 1

IDporrVMXgAAPoUE.thumb.jpeg.bc007120a9d33e482e429ec81a953d09.jpeg

I just can't see the missing 8-9k fans, I know the top tier above the Warrington fans in this picture wasn't full but still looked at least half or more full

33 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

IDporrVMXgAAPoUE.thumb.jpeg.bc007120a9d33e482e429ec81a953d09.jpeg

I just can't see the missing 8-9k fans, I know the top tier above the Warrington fans in this picture wasn't full but still looked at least half or more full

The top tier in the Wigan end also had huge empty sections, the top tier along the side had barely a few hundred in.