We are in process of witnessing some big changes at Hull KR now we've secured our Super League status.

A section of supporters have been fairly vocal in their displeasure of Tim Sheens' team selections and tinkering, amid a year of injuries that saw us use squad numbers right up to 42. 

When Sheens took over he kept on a good number of players that had experienced relegation in 2016 and the subsequent re-promotion in '17.

This season was all about survival. It would have been incredibly difficult to achieve that by overhauling the squad so we added a few players to the nucleus and got on with it. 

Thankfully we achieved what we set out to do and now Sheens has a bit of breathing room to finally mould his own squad.

I think next season is where you can legitimately critique him as it will be his own squad with a full SL pre-season behind them.

James Donaldson, Ben Kavanagh, Matty Marsh, Kieren Moss, Jordan Walne, Brad Clavering, Chris Clarkson, Danny Tickle, and our longest-serving player Liam Salter have all been released.

Thomas Minns, Andrew Heffernan, and Justin Carney have also left us at some point in the year, albeit for very different reasons. 

Jimmy Keinhorst, Weller Hauraki, and Ryan Lannon have come in, whereas Craig Hall, Ben Crooks (at least I think he has), and Nick Scruton have signed one-year deals. Todd Carney is expected to extend his stay too.

By my reckoning we currently have 30 players on the books with some more movement to be seen in the coming months. As a result I am very confident we'll see a much-improved Hull KR next season.

Edited by HKR AWAY DAYS

4 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

We are in process of witnessing some big changes at Hull KR now we've secured our Super League status.

A section of supporters have been fairly vocal in their displeasure of Tim Sheens' team selections and tinkering, amid a year of injuries that saw us use squad numbers right up to 42. 

When Sheens took over he kept on a good number of players that had experienced relegation in 2016 and the subsequent re-promotion in '17.

This season was all about survival. It would have been incredibly difficult to achieve that by overhauling the squad so we added a few players to the nucleus and got on with it. 

Thankfully we achieved what we set out to do and now Sheens has a bit of breathing room to finally mould his own squad.

I think next season is where you can legitimately critique him as it will be his own squad with a full SL pre-season behind them.

James Donaldson, Ben Kavanagh, Matty Marsh, Kieren Moss, Jordan Walne, Brad Clavering, Chris Clarkson, Danny Tickle, and our longest-serving player Liam Salter have all been released.

Thomas Minns, Andrew Heffernan, and Justin Carney have also left us at some point in the year, albeit for very different reasons. 

Jimmy Keinhorst, Weller Hauraki, and Ryan Lannon have come in, whereas Craig Hall, Ben Crooks (at least I think he has), and Nick Scruton have signed one-year deals. Todd Carney is expected to extend his stay too.

By my reckoning we currently have 30 players on the books with some more movement to be seen in the coming months. As a result I am very confident we'll see a much-improved Hull KR next season.

I don't understand......were you expecting them to win SL after being in the Championship? 

• Like 1

Looking at Hull KR’s retained squad and those they’ve recruited, it’s a bit...meh, in all honesty. 

I don’t think too many will be looking at Hull KR as dark horses to the top five or will be too wary of them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Looking at Hull KR’s retained squad and those they’ve recruited, it’s a bit...meh, in all honesty. 

I don’t think too many will be looking at Hull KR as dark horses to the top five or will be too wary of them. 

Seems as though they are like for like replacements, not upgrades.  If the qualifiers were still happening I'd expect them to be in it, they're still going to be at that end of the table

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Not sure those signings are that much to get excited about tbh

Still plenty of time. Lannon is an angry fella who will offer that, and it is something we have lacked in recent years. Keinhorst has a lot of experience at the top end. Hauraki is a squad rotational player who is tough. For me all positives. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I don't understand......were you expecting them to win SL after being in the Championship? 

Obviously not. I am now expecting improvement in 2019. That is what this informative thread is about.

35 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Obviously not. I am now expecting improvement in 2019. That is what this informative thread is about.

You only have to finish one place higher in 2019 for it to be an improvement!!

But not sure if you would really count that as an improvement.

Maybe not being involved in the middle 8's could be classed as an improvement, so you have definately already on that front.

Id take Tickle and Walne at Fax but unfortunatley it looks more likely to be Kavanagh. Moss didn't stand out at Championship level and ended up losing his place.

Some thoughts are best kept you yourself. If this were a thread for all clubs I'd get the point of the post but as far as I can tell this is of interest to HKR fans only.

16 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Some thoughts are best kept you yourself. If this were a thread for all clubs I'd get the point of the post but as far as I can tell this is of interest to HKR fans only.

Hull FC fan trolling maybe?

It's a shame Clarkson has been released; from his time at Leeds and from what I saw at KR he was always a hard worker, not flashy but a reliable first teamer.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id take Tickle and Walne at Fax but unfortunatley it looks more likely to be Kavanagh. Moss didn't stand out at Championship level and ended up losing his place.

Not surprised really passed from pillar to post all season with no regular gametime or regular team mates what did you expect? Moss is an excellent fullback at championship level and regardless of McNally I would take him back at Bradford anytime. Especially seeing the tries he scored especially one memorable one against your lot at Odsal

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Tickle is 35.

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

There's nothing stopping fans of other clubs posting something similar...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Not surprised really passed from pillar to post all season with no regular gametime or regular team mates what did you expect? Moss is an excellent fullback at championship level and regardless of McNally I would take him back at Bradford anytime. Especially seeing the tries he scored especially one memorable one against your lot at Odsal

I think you might get your wish next season. Please can we have McNally if you dont want him. :) Although Im not sure even Bradford would want to be paying the SL wages he allegedly was asking for.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Tickle is 35.

I don't care, if the price is right he can deffo do a good job in the Championship and would be nice for him to finish where it all started and would be a good example to our young lads coming through.

50 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Please can we have McNally if you dont want him.

With pleasure as far as I'm concerned. Injury magnet.

4 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Some thoughts are best kept you yourself.

:o 

Bloody Hell!

With Hauraki and Lannon coming in some forwards had to make way. Donaldson will graft all day long but is injury prone and lacks size. I am surprised at Clarkson being let go and Kavanagh was starting to find his feet and believe Tickle has retired.

4 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Hull FC fan trolling maybe?

Nah.

I've met Adam aka HKR AWAY DAYS and he's a thoroughly decent chap. He would never bother himself with, for example, posting on Hull FC match threads if we've lost but avoiding them like the plague when we've won.

Mind you, I would find it difficult to provide evidence of the last bit, unless I go back several months.

:sad:

• Haha 1